New Magnetic Field Cycle Study?

Bedreamon

I recently found an interesting study about cyclical activity. "Solar Toroidal Field Evolution Spanning Four Sunspot Cycles Seen by the Wilcox Solar Observatory, the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory/Michelson Doppler Imager, and the Solar Dynamics Observatory/Helioseismic and Magnetic Imager"

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2041-8213/ac52ae

This one's specifically about magnetic field stuff. It proposes there's a 16.8 year cycle with the magnetic activity on the sun. No idea how true this could be, but I think it could be good for discussion in regards to sunspot production and flare production!

Plus, there was "someone" linking it with big solar events that occurred every 16.5 years: 1940, 1956, 1972, 1989, 2005. And proposed one could be this year? Just ignore this paragraph since the source isn't anything verifiable, if you know what I mean.

Edited by Bedreamon

1 hour ago, Bedreamon said:

I recently found an interesting study about cyclical activity. "Solar Toroidal Field Evolution Spanning Four Sunspot Cycles Seen by the Wilcox Solar Observatory, the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory/Michelson Doppler Imager, and the Solar Dynamics Observatory/Helioseismic and Magnetic Imager"

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2041-8213/ac52ae

This one's specifically about magnetic field stuff. It proposes there's a 16.8 year cycle with the magnetic activity on the sun. No idea how true this could be, but I think it could be good for discussion in regards to sunspot production and flare production!

Plus, there was "someone" linking it with big solar events that occurred every 16.5 years: 1940, 1956, 1972, 1989, 2005. And proposed one could be this year? Just ignore this paragraph since the source isn't anything verifiable, if you know what I mean.

Seems interesting. By the way, just out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say the source of that prediction isn’t verifiable 

16 hours ago, David Silver said:

He means Ben Davidson. And it’s pretty compelling, for a medium-big event. Nothing too destructive.

However, given who Bed's talking about, Mr. Davidson probably thinks it'll spell disaster down the line like he usually does when it comes to the sun and studies done on it.

Not trying to start something, just stating something I've seen from experience. This study honestly comes off as interesting at any rate. I just hope it doesn't get misconstrued is all I'm trying to say.

Edited by Quilloz