M2 flare

LunarLights58

Really funny since I expected this from 2957 and not from the nearly unvisible 2958. But I still do not expect a big show because of it's position and there have been a lot of CMEs in the past blowing the material in an 45°-angle away.

So for me it seems to become more a "spaceweathercomglancingblowstaytuned"-type of a CME 😁

But I more wonder what's around the eastern corner...  flux was a little rising before the M2 but now I am not sure was it because of the prepared M2 or was it due to the activity around the corner...

Stay tu...  hmm... turned upwards! 🤭

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris, HB9DFG said:

But I more wonder what's around the eastern corner...  flux was a little rising before the M2 but now I am not sure was it because of the prepared M2 or was it due to the activity around the corner...

Me too, the limb is starting to look pretty bright!

2 hours ago, Orneno said:

It’s really weird it came from such a tiny simple spot… how did that happen

Its size grew 150 recently, and the surrounding areas seems elevated compared to the other flares. This is just from a visual inspection of the flares form this site. Perhaps someday we can see what is going on underneath. :)

1 hour ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Yes, it was facula 😝

2957 is the most complex region on the disk, 2958 is almost vanished after the M2

looking at the sdo and far side images the brightest is still around the corner 

I was just now thinking about just this topic!

although id take noaa advice over my own suppositions any day, it seems to me that the aluminum conductive skin of a typical airliner might provide a significant level of shielding

Thoughts?? 

8 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I was just now thinking about just this topic!

although id take noaa advice over my own suppositions any day, it seems to me that the aluminum conductive skin of a typical airliner might provide a significant level of shielding

Thoughts?? 

I'm not sure the aircraft skin provides any protection against the high energy particles involved. Some time ago I worked with CCD cameras in a basement, under a multi-storey building, and we would sometimes detect these particles hitting the sensor.

In case anybody should get concerned about this I would like to point out that these were single particles occurring very infrequently.

7 hours ago, 3gMike said:

I'm not sure the aircraft skin provides any protection against the high energy particles involved. Some time ago I worked with CCD cameras in a basement, under a multi-storey building, and we would sometimes detect these particles hitting the sensor.

In case anybody should get concerned about this I would like to point out that these were single particles occurring very infrequently.

i think the next time i go up in an airplane im going to build a little CCD dark camera box and have it rolling as we go up to see if there is a noticeable difference in amount of particles hitting the sensor

2 hours ago, farm24 said:

i think the next time i go up in an airplane im going to build a little CCD dark camera box and have it rolling as we go up to see if there is a noticeable difference in amount of particles hitting the sensor

well ok.  keep me in the “ loop”   You’re no doubt correct on this although Im gonna run a “field” test using my cd700 geiger counter with an aluminum sheet interposed between the cases’ test source and the wand  just for fun.  

1 hour ago, hamateur 1953 said:

well ok.  keep me in the “ loop”   You’re no doubt correct on this although Im gonna run a “field” test using my cd700 geiger counter with an aluminum sheet interposed between the cases’ test source and the wand  just for fun.  

Now that I think of it I probably wouldn’t get through TSA with something like what I wanted to do

1 hour ago, farm24 said:

Now that I think of it I probably wouldn’t get through TSA with something like what I wanted to do

yeah, regrettably true!  I once asked the captain if ok to bring my oxy/ acet welding rig aboard, he said no sweat!  those days are long gone unfortunately. 

Well, I did try interposing a sheet of aluminum foil between the beta source of my cd700 and its attached wand.  Negligible if any effect. Indeed our atmosphere is much more capable than most metals at keeping us safe.  Very unlikely the Boeing co will be using lead vs aluminum in any passenger aircraft hulls. 

On 3/4/2022 at 1:32 AM, 3gMike said:

16 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Well, I did try interposing a sheet of aluminum foil between the beta source of my cd700 and its attached wand.  Negligible if any effect. Indeed our atmosphere is much more capable than most metals at keeping us safe.  Very unlikely the Boeing co will be using lead vs aluminum in any passenger aircraft hulls. 

What is a cd700