Cause of radio emission?

Sam Warfel

1 hour ago, Orneno said:

We just got a type II radio emission, but there’s no flare that could have made a CME (except some b-class one), so what caused the emission?

Can filament eruptions cause radio emissions?

Forgive my ignorance (and I freely admit there is a lot of it) , but the CME log shows this from the 17th with a halo. Is that in any way linked? I wondered how long it takes for type II emissions to be observed after a CME....  respectfully anticipating a sigh and roll of the eyes in my direction.  

Screenshot - 2022-02-18T215850.763.png

Edited by Cat Perkinton

59 minutes ago, Cat Perkinton said:

I wondered how long it takes for type II emissions to be observed after a CME....  respectfully anticipating a sigh and roll of the eyes in my direction. 

Radio emissions are detected right as the CME is launched (minus 5 minutes travel time at speed of light from the sun) and are typically detected before the CME is visible, giving us a heads up there is one. 

So, it’s never defected late. It’s right as the CME launches. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

I don't know if I'm seeing correctly, but the great sunspot that the cme launched on the 15th, isn't it two sunspots together?20220218_231500_n7euA_195.jpg

Well, you can't actually use EUVI to see the true sunspots, since they're on the photosphere. It's only good for seeing the features of the corona.

• 3 weeks later...

While we are all waiting with baited breath for you know who to get it’s act together.  I had a thought-experiment pop into my disorganized skull,   what if we were able to actually view you know who as he spit an xray burst at our ionosphere ???  no way could we be hurt, wavelengths are absorbed by our atmosphere but I’d be willing to bet it would look really cool when it wrecked our high frequency ham communications!  just a fantasy no way to observe it probably.