CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

Interpret this frame from SDO(AIA 131 glitch?)

Christopher S.
Go to solution Solved by Marcel de Bont,

1 hour ago, Christopher S. said:

20220215_064532_1024_0131.jpg

It looks like a shadow. What is blocking the Sun?

I told them not to park there. Silly Thor and Starlord returning to Earth to see the new Doctor Strange movie.

Edited by FairyG
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marcel de Bont said:

The Earth. 🤘 Our home planet gets in between SDO and the Sun 1 time a day around the equinox.

Yep.  When the Earth is causing it, there's a fuzzy, shadowy boundary between light and dark (sounds like a movie huh).  The Moon can also eclipse SDO's view of the Sun - in that case the boundary between light and dark is sharper, more distinct (like Rey and the Emperor).

Sort of on topic - this frame from LASCO yesterday caught my eye.  Real data or a glitch?

LASCO_2022-02-14-14-32-34

It could be a glimpse of the Imperial Fleet in hyperspace on its way to a surprise attack on Endor (but not likely).

Edited by Drax Spacex
ROTJ
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

Yep.  When the Earth is causing it, there's a fuzzy, shadowy boundary between light and dark.

Fascinating... I suppose the cool part about this, to me, is how the SDO image was able to capture something picturesque like this. Good timing.

Edited by Christopher S.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Wait so that’s the Earths shadow? Sick!

No, Earth can’t cast a shadow on the sun, since the sun is the thing casting shadows around here. 
It’s the Earth itself getting between the sun and the camera. Because the camera is designed to look at the sun, Earth will always be just fuzzy blackness. 

Edited by Orneno

3 hours ago, Orneno said:

No, Earth can’t cast a shadow on the sun, since the sun is the thing casting shadows around here. 
It’s the Earth itself getting between the sun and the camera. Because the camera is designed to look at the sun, Earth will always be just fuzzy blackness. 

Ah that makes sense