what is the highest background flux you have seen?

farm24

You can see the officially reported background flux from NOAA for a specific day in these graphs in our archive. https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/archive/2003/10.html

Never really bothered checking how accurate it is but there is a lot of exploring for you to do if you wish to find out!

number-of-c-m-and-x-clas.png

C4.9 on 22 October, 2003 for example.

1 minuut geleden, Vancanneyt Sander zei:

Since 1996 we have had 4 days with background flux >=M1

November 9th 2000 M1.1
November 23rd 2001 M1.5
December 29th 2001 M1.6
April 3rd 2001 M2.0

check the dates in the archive ☺️

Jeez, you just had to cheat by looking in the database didn't you...

Not sure how NOAA calculates this but this is an impressive graph.

solar-activity.png

48 minuten geleden, farm24 zei:

i wonder if i could use the SWPC API to make my own database

Good luck getting all mistakes out 😂 when we build the databases at SWL we have done a lot of corrections. Plus it ain’t easy to make as there isn’t a real API at SWPC that just gives you what you need. It requires coding, testing and patience 😇

2 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Good luck getting all mistakes out 😂 when we build the databases at SWL we have done a lot of corrections. Plus it ain’t easy to make as there isn’t a real API at SWPC that just gives you what you need. It requires coding, testing and patience 😇

Do you just get your data from the .json api for the SWPC stuff?

4 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

We’ve build our archive way before those files. Now they are in a more readable format but still we have to do some extra work to make them really usable here.

Do you think there is a way to access the previous data under the swpc .json api?

8 uren geleden, Orneno zei:

yes, here's the graph Marcel posted a bit further up:

Do wonder how they decided M2 was appropriate here for a background flux. The lowest stable flux if you can call it like that is somewhere in the C3 range if you ask me. It is just the X flare and massive amount of C and M class flaring that warped things. Do they take an average? https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/archive/2001/04/03/xray.html

6 uren geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

Oh look at that... a M- class solar flare happened when I was asleep 🤣 

Just a kind reminder to try to stay on topic. The M-class event you mention is of course of interest but doesn't belong home in this topic. Just trying to keep things organized. Thanks!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Just a kind reminder to try to stay on topic. The M-class event you mention is of course of interest but doesn't belong home in this topic. Just trying to keep things organized. Thanks!

My bad… I thought at first for some reason that this was another topic… sorry about that. 

• Like 1