New Study

Tormentius

49 minutes ago, Tormentius said:

I find it more than a little surprising that the scientists involved believe they can predict the occurrence of that event to an accuracy better than 0.01%. There is insufficient data in the linked article to understand how they might justify that claim. Elsewhere I found a suggestion that 9200 years would represent an ice-core depth of 128.8m. On that basis 1 year would be represented by 0.014m, or half an inch ! In any case we know that the cycle is not exactly 11 years, so I would take a lot of convincing that the report is accurate.

10 hours ago, Tormentius said:

I was very skeptical of this study as well but I’ve seen very few experts comment on it so I wanted to hear some thoughts 

Heres a link to the study itself for whoever is interested 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-27891-4#MOESM1

That link is much more informative about the methods used. There still seem to be some fairly large uncertainties, and effects that are not fully understood. I will probably need to read it a few more times to understand the full significance.