Some questions about solar activity

FairyG

12 hours ago, Flareguy18 said:

Totally forgot about that 2nd X-flare! So yeah you are right, third strongest 😉

Wow, that's quite spectacular indeed! Too bad it is pointed away from us. Still, very cool to see.

"Too bad it is pointed away from us." Has there ever been a time when you guys were like "whew, I'm so glad that wasn't facing Earth?"

Also, would you consider the past 6 months unusually active or is this about normal?

55 minuten geleden, FairyG zei:

Also, would you consider the past 6 months unusually active or is this about normal?

It’s very normal and nothing out of the ordinary. It’s not solar minimum anymore and activity will rise further till solar max. It’s the normal behaviour of a solar cycle

1 hour ago, FairyG said:

As Sanders said, it all depends on how you define normal. It’s perfectly normal for this part (early upswing) of a solar cycle. Sure, it’s been much more active than the last several years, but that’s just because it was Solar minimum. Activity will continue to increase, peaking much higher than it is right now. But nothing to worry about, it’s just typical solar cycle behavior, happens every 11 years. 

11 hours ago, FairyG said:

Has there ever been a time when you guys were like "whew, I'm so glad that wasn't facing Earth?"

I bet so because if a monster X56 solar flare happened and missed us then yes. We would be glad because that could wreck havoc on Earth and satellites. 

8 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

I bet so because if a monster X56 solar flare happened and missed us then yes. We would be glad because that could wreck havoc on Earth and satellites. 

Would a flare of such proportions even be possible?

17 hours ago, FairyG said:

"Too bad it is pointed away from us." Has there ever been a time when you guys were like "whew, I'm so glad that wasn't facing Earth?"

I will answer you with a solar flare, I am so happy that the flare of July 23, 2012, has not pointed to the land of sunspot 1520, and if the activity is normal, besides, I believe that the " terminator" and that increases the solar activity a little more it seems,