it would be neat to have a top Radiation storms page

farm24
Go to solution Solved by Vancanneyt Sander,

Would you like to see this feature added?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this feature added?

• Hell yeah!
    • Oh no!
    • I don’t see a reason 🤷‍♂️

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

That would require us to build a database with that information 🤔 which isn’t impossible. From there we could build such a page.

i’ve added a poll to the topic, if there’s enough interest then I’ll add it to our project board

It would be quite hard though and there really isn’t a reason to have it now that I think about it

Edited by farm24

I think it's a good idea, but if it's too much work I could understand why it wouldn't be added. But if you already have the raw data, I could imagine you could get it done rather quickly. I do think Solar Particle Storms are overlooked because they do not associate with aurora directly (that I know of) but I do think they have a great impact for astronomy-based operations such as manned-missions and even communications from near the poles. It would be a good addition for sure. Wasn't November 2001 the most intense recorded proton storm so far?

20 uren geleden, dynastyll zei:

Wasn't November 2001 the most intense recorded proton storm so far?

Now I can say: no :P 

October 29th 2003 was the strongest space radiation storm in SC23, a tiny bit higher than the November 6th of 2001, but both S4 (we have only 7 days of S4 since 1996, none of them where in SC24).

2 minuten geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

I bet S4 did some damage or something 🤷‍♂️

Well, to find out, go watch our mini documentary about the halloween storms of 2003 on our YouTube channel, it has a lot of information about the events that happened then. In terms of effects of the S4 Space radiation storm: astronauts where relocated to a more sheltered section of the space station (50% less radiation cut-off). Some parts of ISS where disabled (sensitive instruments). ISS also experienced frictional drag. Several satellites entered safe mode with some instruments giving alarms, some satellites where also lost, SOHO had bad readings and dropped out, TV satellites operators had issues with maintaining routine operations and had to resort to manual attitude control for 18 hours. GPS system was relatively okay, but for more exact position measurements (land surveying for example) had difficulties for correct measurements. Polar flights where diverted, commercial aviation was instructed to fly below 25.000 feet when traveling above 35° latitude (N and S). Power companies experienced some problems but no major impact as the electrical companies took considerable efforts to prepare for the big geomagnetic storm. So all in all no doomsday 😛 

4 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

astronauts where relocated to a more sheltered section of the space station (50% less radiation cut-off). Some parts of ISS where disabled (sensitive instruments). ISS also experienced frictional drag. Several satellites entered safe mode with some instruments giving alarms, some satellites where also lost, SOHO had bad readings and dropped out, TV satellites operators had issues with maintaining routine operations and had to resort to manual attitude control for 18 hours. GPS system was relatively okay, but for more exact position measurements (land surveying for example) had difficulties for correct measurements. Polar flights where diverted, commercial aviation was instructed to fly below 25.000 feet when traveling above 35° latitude (N and S). Power companies experienced some problems but no major impact as the electrical companies took considerable efforts to prepare for the big geomagnetic storm. So all in all no doomsday 😛 

Dang a lot of stuff happened. Makes you wonder what people were thinking that didn't watch SWL. They were probably confused as hell 🤣.... Anyways thanks for the video! I will watch it some time today!

If S4 does that... it's hard to imagine what a S5 would do. 

That would be insane 

Edited by Solarflaretracker200

On 1/21/2022 at 9:15 AM, Vancanneyt Sander said:

That would require us to build a database with that information 🤔 which isn’t impossible. From there we could build such a page.

i’ve added a poll to the topic, if there’s enough interest then I’ll add it to our project board

Also what format is all of that raw data stored in? I might challenge myself to built an algorithm that sorts it 

39 minuten geleden, farm24 zei:

Also what format is all of that raw data stored in? I might challenge myself to built an algorithm that sorts it 

in our archive we have data since around 1996 but first few years are not complete as satellites where rare and data wasn’t always public available. We decided not to put it in a database because it would make the databases so huge (millions of rows in a database) it could/would slow things down. So when we processed the data for our archive we stored it in a regular file format that we read out. So due to that querying is not possible. What we’ve done now is go through each file and derived data into a new database. Our next step is to make a page that will display the results (that won’t be today as I’ve been building the database for 8 hours already today 😜)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

in our archive we have data since around 1996 but first few years are not complete as satellites where rare and data wasn’t always public available.

Ah that makes sense. I was looking back at data yesterday and saw that. This website seems like it’s gone a long way. 

12 minuten geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

Ah that makes sense. I was looking back at data yesterday and saw that. This website seems like it’s gone a long way. 

Well the SWL website wasn’t around in 1996 😜. SWL saw the light in 2009, but it’s originally founded in 2005 as part of a Dutch website about space and astronomy and the Dutch Aurora site poollicht. The archive itself was build around 2009 I think and wasn’t as big as it is now, we’ve added a lot of data since then.

1 minute ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Well the SWL website wasn’t around in 1996 😜

Oh my bad lol. 

1 minute ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

The archive itself was build around 2009 I think and wasn’t as big as it is now, we’ve added a lot of data since then.

Makes sense….So this is younger than the Dutch website from what I understand. Is this website like for worldwide use and the Dutch one for local? Or am I wrong and mixed up? 

21 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

in our archive we have data since around 1996 but first few years are not complete as satellites where rare and data wasn’t always public available. We decided not to put it in a database because it would make the databases so huge (millions of rows in a database) it could/would slow things down. So when we processed the data for our archive we stored it in a regular file format that we read out. So due to that querying is not possible. What we’ve done now is go through each file and derived data into a new database. Our next step is to make a page that will display the results (that won’t be today as I’ve been building the database for 8 hours already today 😜)

Oh doesn’t sound like a lot of fun is there absolutely no way to automate it

4 minuten geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

Oh my bad lol. 

In 1996 almost nobody had internet at home. I got on the internet around 2002 with a 56k modem that prevented people from calling because the signal was along the telephone wire. Just to say, internet was prehistoric then 😉 imagine that.

6 minuten geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

Is this website like for worldwide use and the Dutch one for local? Or am I wrong and mixed up? 

SWL and PL are both the same, only the language is different (because it’s Dutch 😜) but there are a few differences (alerts specific for Belgium and Netherlands to see the Aurora).

1 minuut geleden, farm24 zei:

Oh doesn’t sound like a lot of fun is there absolutely no way to automate it

It’s pretty automatable as we’ve made it all pretty logic. But we did have to manually alter data as well because of bad readings, or that SWPC made some errors. Many hours has also gone into making the data right before storing it. So for this database we also had to go through trial and error and testing and quality check. You don’t just put 9377 rows in a database table without checking 😉

3 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Just to say, internet was prehistoric then 😉 imagine that.

I can't 🤣🤣🤣 (Ok maybe I can lol)

4 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

SWL and PL are both the same, only the language is different (because it’s Dutch 😜) but there are a few differences (alerts specific for Belgium and Netherlands to see the Aurora).

Makes sense... won't want to get alerts for Belgium & Netherlands when someone doesn't live there 😂😅

6 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

In 1996 almost nobody had internet at home.

Well that must be interesting....