The Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope

Flareguy18

Hello, everyone!

So, I'm sure we are all interested in seeing how space weather predictions can be improved in the future. I think there is a lot of ground work to go before we are proficient with it.

Recently, a new solar observatory has become operational in Hawaii. I believe it was transitioned to operational status just last month after construction was fully completed. It's called the Daniel K. Inouye telescope (or DKIST).

This telescope currently has produced the highest resolution imagery we have to date of The Sun. It has a large 4m aperture which is capable of viewing very small scale features on the Sun as little as 30 km across! That is quite incredible! Here's its first images it took of The Sun during a testing phase several months back. https://nso.edu/telescopes/dkist/first-light-full-image/

According to their website, it is expected to view very small features on The Sun that influence how magnetic energy is stored and configured when solar flares and CMEs erupt. It can even identify the magnetic field orientation and strength of a CME as soon as it erupts! Obviously, these things are big game changers for predicting space weather and I'm sooo excited to see what this telescope will do for us in the coming months to years.

Check it out for yourself and let me know what you all think! https://nso.edu/research/dkist-science-overview/

2 uren geleden, Flareguy18 zei:

According to their website, it is expected to view very small features on The Sun that influence how magnetic energy is stored and configured when solar flares and CMEs erupt. It can even identify the magnetic field orientation and strength of a CME as soon as it erupts! Obviously, these things are big game changers for predicting space weather and I'm sooo excited to see what this telescope will do for us in the coming months to years.

Yes and no. First: it’s a ground based telescope so no 24/7 observation of the Sun so it won’t know strength of a CME if it was night. Second: weather, although on a more favourable location it’s still not 100%. Third: atmospheric conditions can affect the observations.

field of view is 5 arc minutes. So to be able to measure strength of a CME and flare it needs to be pointed to that location. So it would have to monitor x-rays from space and then has to determine the location, pinpoint the telescope to make observations.

so for space weather predictions it’s not a big added value. But for understanding our sun more and observe the sun in very detail it’s a big plus. It will help to uncover the suns secrets. So I’m looking forward for the observations it will make in unprecedented detail. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Yes and no. First: it’s a ground based telescope so no 24/7 observation of the Sun so it won’t know strength of a CME if it was night. Second: weather, although on a more favourable location it’s still not 100%. Third: atmospheric conditions can affect the observations.

field of view is 5 arc minutes. So to be able to measure strength of a CME and flare it needs to be pointed to that location. So it would have to monitor x-rays from space and then has to determine the location, pinpoint the telescope to make observations.

so for space weather predictions it’s not a big added value. But for understanding our sun more and observe the sun in very detail it’s a big plus. It will help to uncover the suns secrets. So I’m looking forward for the observations it will make in unprecedented detail. 

it could also probably help us understand sunspot development by zooming in on very small developing sunspots 

but this is just my speculation 

the video they made also deserves some appreciation

got another