Geomagnetic storm streak

8 minutes ago, No pseudoscience said:

Both Friday and Saturday had geomagnetic storms, how long will this geomagnetic storm streak continue? 

It was basically all due to one good equatorial Coronal hole, probably no more geomagnetic storms.  We could receive a CME today, but it is only expected to be a glancing blow and may well not prompt geomagnetic storms. As a matter of fact, it may have been entirely subsumed by the current HSS

Hemispheric power is 66, decent activity kicking up! I wonder if we’ll get yet another geomagnetic storm 😂 (G1). Probably just KP4 though 

This may be due to the expected CME impact, it may have hit around 22:00 UTC. It’s really hard to tell because the CH HSS drowned out the main jump in speed, but I am seeing spikes in density, Bt and Bz. 

I live far north enough to begin to see the aurora near the horizon during a G1, (my profile picture is an example of what that is like). Unfortunately, all these nights where there's geomagnetic storm conditions and it's been cloudy and a full/gibbous moon.

Edited by LunarLights58

7 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

I live far north enough to begin to see the aurora near the horizon during a G1, (my profile picture is an example of what that is like). Unfortunately, all these nights where there's geomagnetic storm conditions and it's been cloudy and a full/gibbous moon.

That’s sad 😿
I’m not quite far enough to see the Aurora in a G1, maaaaybe with a long-exposure photograph, but dubious, I really need a G2 (we did have one recently, but it was over by nightfall and very cloudy. 
That being said, I’m happy because this is a great sign of the increasing activity of SC25!

Edited by Orneno

The biggest streaks of geomagnetic storms would be found in 2003 where we had +150 days of geomagnetic storms in 365 days. Didn’t look up any streaks but if almost half of the year was Kp5 or higher then there would have been a lot of consecutive days 😜.

last year was only 25 storms of G1 or greater so it’s a big difference 😜

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

The biggest streaks of geomagnetic storms would be found in 2003 where we had +150 days of geomagnetic storms in 365 days. Didn’t look up any streaks but if almost half of the year was Kp5 or higher then there would have been a lot of consecutive days 😜.

last year was only 25 storms of G1 or greater so it’s a big difference 😜

Here’s to many more than 25 in 2022 🍻

2 hours ago, LunarLights58 said:

Hemispheric power reached 67 for the Northern hemisphere, 57 for Southern. Likely G1 threshold reached.

We’ll probably get G1 ye, probably not G2 though @Solarflaretracker200

Actually, I amend that, G2 seems possible

32 minutes ago, Orneno said:

We’ll probably get G1 ye, probably not G2 though @Solarflaretracker200

Actually, I amend that, G2 seems possible

We've reached the 90s, definitely G2!

30 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

Guess I'll go out to check for auroras, despite the moonlight!

What's the cause of this storm?

I went out, only got there just as the BZ turned north, and the full moon is very bright, haven’t seen much at all. 
You have any luck?