Why is the BZ so south?

Sam Warfel

Why is the BZ trending so steadily and strongly southward? It’s reached -9 after going more and more south for several hours, and shows no signs of stopping. 
The BT is also a bit strong at 12. 

What is causing these strong magnetic fields? I can’t find anything in the solar wind or density plots to indicate a CME or CIR. The hemispheric power has already passed 50 however, this is beginning to kick up some nice activity. My guess is at least KP4 in the coming hours, maybe even KP5 if the BZ continues to trend even more south. 

28 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Not strong, it’s moderate 😉. If it was in the twenties it would be strong.

solar wind is steady but the IMF increased for several hours. Still looks like kind of CH effect already but that’s a bit early 🤔 or is it due to the southern extension of the CH 

Maybe we’ll find out as it continues 

3 hours ago, Orneno said:

The KP index has not made it an official geomagnetic storm yet, but it resembles many KP5 (G1) storms I’ve seen, pretty significant!

Because the KP index looks backwards in time by 3 hours, the graph you were looking at was indeed a G1 storm as it was occurring.

1 minute ago, Drax Spacex said:

Because the KP index looks backwards in time by 3 hours, the graph you were looking at was indeed a G1 storm as it was occurring.

Yup. 
And now it’s a G2 (KP6).

Maybe we were actually seeing a G2 storm as it was happening. 

2 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

KP7 next...?

Don’t think so 

4 minutes ago, farm24 said:

What is causing it though 

One place said it was a crack in the magnetic field.  I’ve never heard of that, I’m not sure if it’s true or not. 

Here’s what the crack means
https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/03dec_magneticcracks

4 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

¿KP7 siguiente...?

for me it was the density that happened when dscord recovered and entered although we remember that there was bz 17 so that's why the g3 geomathenic storm was created, but we know that the kp takes 3 hours later, so seeing everything recovered, it seems that it's just me and it will return to normal

1 minute ago, Isatsuki San said:

for me it was the density that happened when dscord recovered and entered although we remember that there was bz 17 so that's why the g3 geomathenic storm was created, but we know that the kp takes 3 hours later, so seeing everything recovered, it seems that it's just me and it will return to normal

Maybe it would go back to normal or go cray lol