Region 2925: long duration C-flare and CME

Solarflaretracker200

44 minuten geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

Looks like a  decent C class solar flare happened. From my guess without going to check other websites, I would say it was from the unstable Region that is just over the limb. 

Nope, wrong 😜 that’s why you need to check before posting! Region 2925 seems responsible for a long duration C-class solar flare with an impressive coronal dimming and a possible very nice CME (told you many times you sometimes don’t need a huge solar flare for a nice CME 😜)

B5485D33-1780-49FB-BB16-8FF86830376E.jpeg

• Vancanneyt Sander changed the title to Region 2925: long duration C-flare and CME
1 hour ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

a possible very nice CME (told you many times you sometimes don’t need a huge solar flare for a nice CME 😜)

Isn’t it a bit far on the limb to be Earth-directed?

Also, a long-duration flare from an alpha-class spot? Is that unusual?

17 minuten geleden, Orneno zei:

Isn’t it a bit far on the limb to be Earth-directed?

Also, a long-duration flare from an alpha-class spot? Is that unusual?

It’s the filament that erupted, the filament was connected with 2925 😉

and no, this one isn’t too far on the limb, due to the Parker spiral effect CME’s launched at that location can still arrive (especially with wide CME’s). (For example the X28 on the western limb was a wide CME and the Earth even got a glancing blow of it 😉 if it was on the eastern limb this wouldn’t be the case due to that effect.

7 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

It’s the filament that erupted, the filament was connected with 2925 😉

and no, this one isn’t too far on the limb, due to the Parker spiral effect CME’s launched at that location can still arrive (especially with wide CME’s). (For example the X28 on the western limb was a wide CME and the Earth even got a glancing blow of it 😉 if it was on the eastern limb this wouldn’t be the case due to that effect.

Oh, I didn’t know the CME was from a filament and not the flare directly.

Ah thank you, I forgot about the Parker spiral. 

6 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

The what?

You know how the sun spins about every twenty-something days? (Like how the sunspots rotate across the disk.)

Because the sun is spinning, anything launched from it (solar wind, CME, HSS, etc.) curves into a spiral path as it moves out from the sun.  This can be clearly seen in the way the CH HSS and CME curve in the below image of the solar wind (old photo, not current)

999D17AD-A099-4E03-8F21-388EECEE2FD7.png

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Orneno said:

You know how the sun spins about every twenty-something days? (Like how the sunspots rotate across the disk.)

Because the sun is spinning, anything launched from it (solar wind, CME, HSS, etc.) curves into a spiral path as it moves out from the sun.  This can be clearly seen in the way the CH HSS and CME curve in the below image of the solar wind (old photo, not current)

999D17AD-A099-4E03-8F21-388EECEE2FD7.png

So like the Coriolis effect on the solar wind?

32 minuten geleden, LunarLights58 zei:

The what?

Think of the Parker spiral as a rotating garden hose that sprinkles water around. Particles along the line are accelerated along the flow of the IMF. I tried to find a good visualisation of what happens:

5DCE5890-3BC4-43D0-9E11-2B2F0186254C.jpeg

If the Earth was to the left, due to the Parker spiral it’s less likely that particles arrive at Earth. If the Earth was to the right, the Earth has a higher chance that particles can arrive. 

Update on CME

seems the CME won’t be Earth directed based on one frame of LASCO

FE51D810-0FD7-43EC-B869-6D48E8A0181B.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Now data of LASCO is complete, it Seems like an asymmetrical full halo CME so we can expect a glancing blow

ENLIL run:

Still not of major interest I guess. 
I can hardly see any halo at all on LASCO

Edited by Orneno