Introduction and Questions about the Sun

Tormentius

Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum. So, I am interested in the Sun and astronomy and have been for some time. However, that interest has been sullied recently. I have developed anxiety recently about any kind of disaster event and it has currently taken the form of solar storms. Now, I'm sorry if you guys get asked this question a lot and this comes off as annoying but I just wanted some clarification.

Because I have done a lot of research on the subject of a severe solar storm that can devastate the power grids and I have seen conflicting reports. There are some that say that it has been dealt with, in the sense that the grids have been hardened and can withstand a one in one hundred year event like the carrrington event. However, I have seen other reports from insurance companies, other scientists and just comments by individuals like Dr. Mcintosh that hint that we are still vulnerable and that this cycle, we are somewhat more than usual because of the chance of a higher than normal cycle.

Again, I'm sorry if you guys get this question a lot but it has been something that has been bothering me a lot and I don't know who to believe when they say that we are prepared and those who say we aren't. So, I would just like some honest clarification on the subject because I once greatly enjoyed space and all that it entails and lately, I have lost that enjoyment because of this fear and every time that I feel that I can stop being scared, I think of these conflicting reports saying that there is something to be worried about and I don't know how to handle it.

We’ve had several topics about this on the forum and we can only repeat ourselves:

no, space weather won’t be taking devastating forms. The grid is protected for huge events and has learned a lot from previous events. And yes space weather can cause effects but not for your everyday life. Space weather can harm satellites that are exposed to space (and thus space radiation storms), satellites are used for a lot of things so those industries are affected and they already take actions when significant activity happens. Strong geomagnetic storms can induce ground currents that has an effect on pipelines and the grid (but the grid is protected to withstand that). GPS navigation can be off by meters due to space weather effects… but all in all nothing devastating.

and no, SC25 won’t be a higher than normal cycle as it’s predicted to be similar to the previous cycle and that was a lower than average cycle. 

so no need to worry, enjoy space weather 😉

2 hours ago, Tormentius said:

Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum. So, I am interested in the Sun and astronomy and have been for some time. However, that interest has been sullied recently. I have developed anxiety recently about any kind of disaster event and it has currently taken the form of solar storms. Now, I'm sorry if you guys get asked this question a lot and this comes off as annoying but I just wanted some clarification.

Because I have done a lot of research on the subject of a severe solar storm that can devastate the power grids and I have seen conflicting reports. There are some that say that it has been dealt with, in the sense that the grids have been hardened and can withstand a one in one hundred year event like the carrrington event. However, I have seen other reports from insurance companies, other scientists and just comments by individuals like Dr. Mcintosh that hint that we are still vulnerable and that this cycle, we are somewhat more than usual because of the chance of a higher than normal cycle.

Again, I'm sorry if you guys get this question a lot but it has been something that has been bothering me a lot and I don't know who to believe when they say that we are prepared and those who say we aren't. So, I would just like some honest clarification on the subject because I once greatly enjoyed space and all that it entails and lately, I have lost that enjoyment because of this fear and every time that I feel that I can stop being scared, I think of these conflicting reports saying that there is something to be worried about and I don't know how to handle it.

If you're feeling worried about Geomagnetic apocalypse, think about this: idk how old you are, but if you're older than a teenager at the least, you've probably lived through many strong events, and you most likely didn't even know they were happening!  Unless you like to look for Auroras, really, no storm in living memory could bring about the kind of catastrophic collapse that internet pundits pontificate about!  Fear is one of the most powerful emotions, and a wonderful way to get people to give you likes and views, so some people use it for that.  It doesn't mean it's true.

Another red flag, if the "expert" is using tons of technical terms when tweeting or posting on YT to a public audience, it means they are trying to make themselves look smart, which means they are insecure in their position, which means they probably aren't the experts they pretend to be.  They are just sensationalists using taking advantage of people's anxieties about a complicated topic they can't assess themselves, and filling that gap in knowledge with their own overblown predictions to benefit themselves.

If there is ever a storm that poses a real risk to our society, you will not find out about it on Youtube, Twitter, or some internet forum.  It will be in major news sources, referencing the real authorities on the subject like the NOAA SWPC (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Space Weather Prediction Center (weather forecasting branch of the US government)), or NASA.

All we have to worry about, now or almost certainly in our lifetimes, is just a good show of Northern Lights!
So if hunkering down and doing some bingewatching is the best way to pass the time and put the geomagnetic activity out of your mind, then do that.
However, what I think would be the most fun is to go out someplace pretty and dark and quiet, maybe with family or friends, and look for a display of one of the Earth's most enchanting wonders.