CME Research Project: 2022

Jesterface23

Amazing work, the stuff about figuring out the interior structure of CMEs is very cool, I’ve never seen anything talking about that before. Keep up the good work!

Will this tool be ready to use to help predict the arrival time of any major CMEs we may get in this next year?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The CView tool would be ready to help analyze upcoming CMEs, but I will need to continue using my old arrival time prediction graphs until I can go through my full list of CMEs with the tool.

I eagerly await more updates!

4 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

From imagery "pixel speed," how do you determine the speed of the Earth-directed CME component?

The speed of the Earth-directed CME component would be derived from the estimated time of travel.

The below is how my arrival time prediction method works. Also if the process is done in reverse that is how the arrival time prediction graphs were created.

Launch: 2021/11/02 02:34Z

P1: ~06:40Z   - The CME reaches ~32Rsun in the northern part of the coronagraph imagery
P2: ~11:40Z   - The CME reaches ~32Rsun in the southern part of the coronagraph imagery

P1/P2 Difference: 5:00
P3: 09:10Z    - The midpoint time of P1 and P2

Launch/P3 Difference: 6:36

P1/P2 Difference is the x-axis value to use in the arrival time prediction graph.

P3 is the time between P1 and P2. It is what allows calculations to be made for the center of the coronagraph imagery.

In the coronagraph imagery one side was the Leading Shock and the other side was the Secondary Shock. We ended up being impacted by the Leading shock and that means the M2 line is used from the arrival time prediction graph.

The number obtained from the graph is ~6.3. 6.3 is then multiplied by the Launch/P3 Difference and the estimated travel time comes to 41.58 hours and an estimated arrival time at L1 of 2021/11/03 20:09Z.

• Thanks 1