The Quiet A0.19 Sun

Drax Spacex
Go to solution Solved by Vancanneyt Sander,

Someone needs to shovel more coal into the sun's furnace.

The GOES-16 Solar X-Ray Flux on 2021-12-08 16:19 UTC registered a paltry A0.19.  The data appear to be valid.  I don't recall having seen the solar flux drop this low.

Is such a low value for solar flux rare?

Does it imply anything of physical significance, other than a remarkably though temporarily quiet sun?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Maurizio Marsigli said:

Cicle 25: Like Dalton minimum or Maunder minimum. You can choose.

Good global warming from Italy. (Info: www.attivitasolare.com) 🥶

A low point for a day or so in the very beginning of a cycle doesn’t really reflect at all on the max strength of the Solar Cycle

5 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

The GOES-16 Solar X-Ray Flux on 2021-12-08 16:19 UTC registered a paltry A0.19.  The data appear to be valid.  I don't recall having seen the solar flux drop this low.

Is such a low value for solar flux rare?

Of course—just look back to last February:  E.g., 2020-Feb-17.

Just a nitpick: “solar flux” is generally considered the “solar (2800 MHz Penticton) radio flux” (yesterday = 77), which is different than the “X-ray flux” or “solar X-ray flux” (as you properly called it the first time....I’m just pointing this out for the space wx newbies that may be just dropping by! P=)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"...the very beginning of a cycle..."

Silso regards Cycle 25 as starting in December 2019, in which case the cycle is two years old.

I would suggest "early part of the cycle" is more appropriate language. There was one spotless day at a similar stage in Cycle 24.

The present spotless sun and the continuing high galactic cosmic ray flux are definitely intriguing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Christina.F said:

The present spotless sun and the continuing high galactic cosmic ray flux are definitely intriguing.

Could the high cosmic-ray flux in absence of sunspots be because of another sun hidden behind our sun that we do not know about...yet

(If that was a joke, ignore my response)

Uhhh there can’t be a sun hidden behind our sun. 

For one thing, we go all the way around it once a year so we see behind it. Secondly, we can tell the existence of large bodies from the gravitational forces they exert on other bodies. I think Neptune or Uranus was (indirectly) “discovered” this way, even before being directly observed. Something much more massive than a planet, like another star, would be impossible to miss. 

On 12/9/2021 at 1:51 AM, Christina.F said:

The present spotless sun and the continuing high galactic cosmic ray flux are definitely intriguing.

Could the high cosmic-ray flux in absence of sunspots be because of another sun hidden behind our sun that we do not know about...yet

We know enough about the local system to say there isn't another star. Have you looked at the sky? Have you ever seen 2? 

On 12/8/2021 at 3:24 PM, Drax Spacex said:

Yeah, lets clear out that dusty asteroid belt! :)

Edited by Archmonoth