a question about the carrington event of 1859

Isatsuki San
Go to solution Solved by Vancanneyt Sander,

7 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

was the carrington event really such a strong solar call, or was it just two sunspots coming together to trigger a solar flare x at the same time?

I’m not sure I understand the question. Solar call?

It was an extremely strong solar flare (X50+) that came from an enormous and very complicated sunspot group. There were probably also other CMEs before the big one, which cleared out the interplanetary space so that the main CME could travel at extremely high speed and not slow down as is typical, similar to what happened in the near miss of 2012. 
More information on the Carrington event can be found by googling and looking at trusted soon way, or here. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event

3 minutes ago, Orneno said:

He might mean solar cell?

Well I looked up solar cell for Carrington Event and this is all that I got:

The Carrington Event was the most intense geomagnetic storm in recorded history, occurring on 1–2 September 1859 during solar cycle 10. ... It created strong auroral displays that were reported globally and caused sparking and fire in multiple telegraph systems.
Formed: 1 September 1859
Dissipated: 2 September 1859
Damage: Severe damage to telegraph systems

I don't know. That doesn't answer the question though 

• Solution
1 uur geleden, Isatsuki San zei:

was the carrington event really such a strong solar call, or was it just two sunspots coming together to trigger a solar flare x at the same time?

The carrington event was a so called white light flare observed by Carrington. This means that it was a very strong solar flare.

It’s also believed that the impact at Earth was stronger because of preceding CME’s but there is no evidence for that.

summary:

At 11:18 AM on the cloudless morning of Thursday, September 1, 1859, 33-year-old Richard Carrington—widely acknowledged to be one of England's foremost solar astronomers—was in his well-appointed private observatory. Just as usual on every sunny day, his telescope was projecting an 11-inch-wide image of the sun on a screen, and Carrington skillfully drew the sunspots he saw.

On that morning, he was capturing the likeness of an enormous group of sunspots. Suddenly, before his eyes, two brilliant beads of blinding white light appeared over the sunspots, intensified rapidly, and became kidney-shaped. Realizing that he was witnessing something unprecedented and "being somewhat flurried by the surprise," Carrington later wrote, "I hastily ran to call someone to witness the exhibition with me. On returning within 60 seconds, I was mortified to find that it was already much changed and enfeebled." He and his witness watched the white spots contract to mere pinpoints and disappear.

Just before dawn the next day, skies all over planet Earth erupted in red, green, and purple auroras so brilliant that newspapers could be read as easily as in daylight. Indeed, stunning auroras pulsated even at near tropical latitudes over Cuba, the Bahamas, Jamaica, El Salvador, and Hawaii.

19 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

The carrington event was a so called white light flare observed by Carrington. This means that it was a very strong solar flare.

It’s also believed that the impact at Earth was stronger because of preceding CME’s but there is no evidence for that.

summary:

At 11:18 AM on the cloudless morning of Thursday, September 1, 1859, 33-year-old Richard Carrington—widely acknowledged to be one of England's foremost solar astronomers—was in his well-appointed private observatory. Just as usual on every sunny day, his telescope was projecting an 11-inch-wide image of the sun on a screen, and Carrington skillfully drew the sunspots he saw.

On that morning, he was capturing the likeness of an enormous group of sunspots. Suddenly, before his eyes, two brilliant beads of blinding white light appeared over the sunspots, intensified rapidly, and became kidney-shaped. Realizing that he was witnessing something unprecedented and "being somewhat flurried by the surprise," Carrington later wrote, "I hastily ran to call someone to witness the exhibition with me. On returning within 60 seconds, I was mortified to find that it was already much changed and enfeebled." He and his witness watched the white spots contract to mere pinpoints and disappear.

Just before dawn the next day, skies all over planet Earth erupted in red, green, and purple auroras so brilliant that newspapers could be read as easily as in daylight. Indeed, stunning auroras pulsated even at near tropical latitudes over Cuba, the Bahamas, Jamaica, El Salvador, and Hawaii.

He did make the connection between the flare and the Auroras, right?

12 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

As a well known solar astronomer he made the connection with the intense aurorae, that’s why it’s also called the carrington event named after the astronomer who had seen the white light flare.

ps: his name is also used for the solar rotation: the carrington rotation. 

Thanks!

On 12/6/2021 at 11:22 AM, Vancanneyt Sander said:

As a well known solar astronomer he made the connection with the intense aurorae, that’s why it’s also called the carrington event named after the astronomer who had seen the white light flare.

ps: his name is also used for the solar rotation: the carrington rotation. 

i am looking at the LASCO data for July 23 2012 when the CME that apparently was as powerful as the carrington event happened but i don't see anything?

edit: never mind found it 

Edited by farm24
found it

11 minutes ago, farm24 said:

i am looking at the LASCO data for July 23 2012 when the CME that apparently was as powerful as the carrington event happened but i don't see anything?

edit: never mind found it 

Hey sounds interesting, could you link that?

SOHO's C3 imagery FOV has a consistent FOV of around 32Rsun from center to edge. STEREO A and B's C2 imagery has a fixed angle ranging in FOVs from the center to edge of around 15-17Rsun (STEREO A is closer to the Sun than Earth while STEREO B is further away from the Sun than Earth).

It can take a few extra days to get the full resolution coronagraph imagery from STEREO A after we receive the low resolution coronagraph imagery.

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Like 1