Car 54 where are you? I mean Sunspot 2898 ?

Dr. I

Well ...it seems there is some disagreement to the location of sunspot 2898, as noted on your website and NASA it is center and south . But in the SWPC hand drawn map it is in the lower western limb with the larger number of sunspots cluster. Sooo, where is 2898 really?

6 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Oh the overview picture 😜 if you look closely we haven’t updated the image since this morning

Yeah I just wanted to know because everyday for the past 14 (plus today) days I am taking screenshots of sunspots and at the end of this month I will turn it into a time-lapse. Sorry for the confusion :) 

Sorry 15 + today (days).

Its fine that you have not updated it yet..

Edited by Solarflaretracker200

All good , but what happened to the former 2898. Still there but shrinking. Did it lose it's number never to gain another. Such a poor fate for the once proud sunspot. On a serious note, would this screw up the data as the spot was there for almost 2 days?

Dr. I

22 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

SWPC has assigned the wrong location for 2898 in their data and thus when we pull the data to the site it’s also wrong because of their mistake. SWPC sometimes make such mistakes…

I’ve manually overridden the location so that it’s correct 

what is with the SWPC making so many mistakes

Those tiny sunspots or pores that were at S32E03 yesterday (which was not 2898) never actually became large enough and/or were not persistent enough over consecutive days to be considered an active region.  So it never got an AR number assigned.

Edited by Drax Spacex