Missing acronyms

Sam Warfel
Go to solution Solved by Vancanneyt Sander,

So some time ago I noticed this forum has a very cool feature whereby it detects common space weather-related acronyms in text (CH HSS), and underlines them and when you hover over them, it shows what they mean (Coronal Hole High-Speed Stream).
This is a super useful feature for making this jargon-filled discipline more accessible!  However, I noticed two acronyms that aren't in the filter, and maybe should be.

One is CIR, or Co-rotating Interaction Region.  There was some talk about this when one hit Earth the other day, and I noticed the code did not include this as one of the acronyms with names.  I thought this was too bad, because I had forgotten what CIR stood for and wanted to find out, so I had to google it instead of the handy little name.
It seems like this would be a good acronym to add because it's about space weather, and it's a little more unusual, increasing the odds someone might not know what it meant.

The second is just SWL, our own SpaceWeatherLive.  I noticed SWPC for example is in the filter, but SWL is not.  I have used the acronym myself a number of times, and thought it would be nice if it had the little pop-up name.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

With the regular expression wildcard match you could do this, but would you really want to (or need to)?

If you search for AR2929 would you expect to get a match to Active Region?  If you search for -CH44 Would you expect to get a match for Coronal Hole?  Probably not.

If a person types in SC25 and doesn't get a match they could reasonably reduce the search to just SC.  And then they can deduce, presumably, that SC25 refers to Solar Cycle 25.

When there is a question whether the computer should be presumed to be smarter than the person or vice versa, I would side with the person being smarter.

3 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

With the regular expression wildcard match you could do this, but would you really want to (or need to)?

If you search for AR2929 would you expect to get a match to Active Region?  If you search for -CH44 Would you expect to get a match for Coronal Hole?  Probably not.

If a person types in SC25 and doesn't get a match they could reasonably reduce the search to just SC.  And then they can deduce, presumably, that SC25 refers to Solar Cycle 25.

When there is a question whether the computer should be presumed to be smarter than the person or vice versa, I would side with the person being smarter.

Fair enough. 

That said it, if the purpose of adding SC25 is to provide a "hook" that would bring web searches of SC25 to spaceweatherlive, that might be a good reason to add it to the acronym list.   My knee-jerk response was based on the point of view of a programmer to avoid special cases which could create spaghetti code and make software maintenance down the road more difficult.  Whatever Mr. Sander wants to do - I believe he's the one who's doing the programming and has been for decades.  He is what we used to call a "Hero Programmer" back in the day.

also i noticed that if someone uses an acronym that wasn't added when they used it but then it was added, it doesn't get highlighted like normal. like when Orneno said 

11 hours ago, Orneno said:

As in SC25, etc.

but now when i quoted it it got highlighted 

1 uur terug, farm24 zei:

also i noticed that if someone uses an acronym that wasn't added when they used it but then it was added, it doesn't get highlighted like normal. like when Orneno said 

but now when i quoted it it got highlighted 

That would require a rebuild of all posted topics and reactions.

4 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

That would require a rebuild of all posted topics and reactions.

i assume its because it marks and highlights it when you submit your comment and if it is that way they you would basically have to delete and submit all comments again

1 uur terug, farm24 zei:

i assume its because it marks and highlights it when you submit your comment and if it is that way they you would basically have to delete and submit all comments again

Yes, if we would do it on every page load, it would make the site slower to replace all words. That’s why it’s only done when submitting content. We like to keep things speedy 😇

• Like 1