A nice shot in the west

Chris, HB9DFG

Was just watching at the GOES X-Ray flux when a nice M2 appeared. Pity it's not for us again and since it's just behind the limb it may be a stronger one than indicated in our direction. Maybe we will see more activity from this region while backsided.

Regards, Chris

Edited by Chris, HB9DFG

2 minutes ago, Chris, HB9DFG said:

Hi Vacuum

Go to the front page now of SWL (Solar Activity) and you will see the flash on the cyan colored SDI/AIA 131 picture at 17:16:20.

Regards, Chris

Ah yes.  Thanks!

It wasn’t an X-class. The magnetic loops still where above the limb so if it was an X-class we would have seen a higher flux.

42 minuten geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

Is this Earth directed or not? To me it looks like its not earth directed. But idk

Screenshot 2021-11-09 112020.png

We need LASCO imagery, STEREO isn’t the best way to determine it. As the event was happening just behind the limb, the likehood of an earthward component is small (but not 0 because of the Parker spiral effect)

@Solarflaretracker200 no need to make new topics if one topic about it already exists!

1 minuut geleden, Chris, HB9DFG zei:

Interesting, the proton flux is rising, too. So perhaps it is a small (or bigger?) proton event as well 😉

Chris

That’s the Parker spiral effect 😉 if the  CME is a very wide one, we even could see a glancing blow (again a reference to November 4th 2003 with that massive all time record limb flare that also delivered a glancing blow). But let’s await imagery before making any more noise about it 🤪

For a limb event I personally find it very extraordinary and I hope to not forget to make a screenshot tomorrow for my collection, because it seems it is still declining a little more and thanks to no further activity one can observe it very well this time.

Regards, Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all

And again one of those "OK-let's-develope-earth-sided-to-explode-finally-right-behind-the-limb"-spots! Why do I have the feeling this won't be the last time this happens like this? Ok, it just was a C4 for the instruments here, but maybe it was again stronger westwards and I wonder what LASCO images will show later on. At last I can use this thread again and again and again and... 😠

See you next limb departure and have a very nice CME-less weekend! 😉

Regards, Chris

• Sad 1