2981 on SDO - What exactly am I looking at here

Christopher S.

Magnetic loops of big sunspot regions can stretch out far above the suns surface, these are called coronal loops. Sometimes these loops are connected with other sunspot regions as well.

the TRACE misssion did research to those magnetic loops and delivered some awesome shots ☺️
50FE04B4-7DF3-49BD-A8CD-AA5E1FCA6F3C.jpeg

I remember in 2003 when behemoth of a sunspot region turned around the limb and delivered the X28, it flared after that again and you could still see the loops of it around the limb. 

also these features can also be seen with a h-alpha solar telescope 🔭 which is also awesome 😍

• Like 2

25 minuten geleden, Christopher S. zei:

Yeah, this is definitely very cool looking. The one we have right now has quite a cloud going. When these kinds of things pop, do they typically cause radio blackouts? Spotless-ish areas with tall loops, I mean.

If one pops, it can be solar flare related. Because during a solar flare, the magnetic loop can break and unleashing solar plasma into space and thus a CME. So it will depend on the solar flare if it would cause a radio blackout. After a solar flare, the magnetic loops rearrange themselves and close again which is called magnetic reconnection.

a good representation is this:

4C3038B3-4F24-4D97-B876-6086989141B5.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minuten geleden, jeny96 zei:

2981? I only see 2893, 2894,  2895

HMI Intensitygram Flattened

He was talking about 2981 that departed behind the limb. The coronal loops of the region still went high enough to be seen at the limb of the Sun. That’s why I posted an image of coronal loops at the limb to make the definition of coronal loops more clear.

2 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

He was talking about 2981 that departed behind the limb. The coronal loops of the region still went high enough to be seen at the limb of the Sun. 

ooh I see, so that region is already moving away?

8 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

If one pops, it can be solar flare related. Because during a solar flare, the magnetic loop can break and unleashing solar plasma into space and thus a CME. So it will depend on the solar flare if it would cause a radio blackout. After a solar flare, the magnetic loops rearrange themselves and close again which is called magnetic reconnection.

a good representation is this:

4C3038B3-4F24-4D97-B876-6086989141B5.jpeg

This reminds me of lava lamps, heh. Thank you for the explanation.

Now I'm wondering about what kind of interactions are occurring between the sort of trapped gasses and plasma, and the magnetic loops themselves.

Another question: Can you give a refresher on what causes the wavy pattern in the gasses seen here? Do the magnetic loops around that area disrupt the outgassing channels that much?

latest.jpg

Could the connection to this really dense plasma in the IMF be a talking point?

image.png.d963e0db0ea33ad31d7e265f14f0f453.png

Edited by Christopher S.

10 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

The “wavy” pattern you see on ENLIL is the Parker spiral and this is due to coronal holes on the Sun where the solar wind can escape from because of open field lines. Because the sun rotates, it’s like a rotating garden hose.

Okay, you didn't associate the question I asked with the correct image(I posted the link to the LASCO image that gets updated and now the aforementioned wavy pattern is no longer visible, thanks 200kb image limit), but that's okay. I think I answered my own questions, anyways.

Edited by Christopher S.

17 minuten geleden, Drax Spacex zei:

It's raining plasma!  A good side view.  Likely much stronger than M2.02 since the AR had already completely passed behind the west limb.  

Even though it was behind the limb, it wasn’t much stronger. The magnetic field lines of the region still popped high enough to get most of the x-rays. But nevertheless a great limb flare event

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1