What is the highest KP value you have ever seen or witnessed?

Solarflaretracker200

4 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

The highest KP value I have seen was KP 7. What about you?

Since ive only started with the Spaceweather Observing (2019) a Kp of 7 was the highest i watched.

The highest i witnessed was Kp9 in 2003 (i was 4 there :) ) 

6 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

The highest KP value I have seen was KP 7. What about you?

Since I've been monitoring the Aurora, KP7 (last week, and May of this year, although I kinda missed that cause I was asleep).

The highest during my lifetime, same as MinYoongi, KP9 during the Halloween storms of 2003 (I was 2 then so I guess Min is slightly older than I).  I think that's the only time we've reached KP 9 since then, in any case it doesn't go any higher so that would still qualify.

But yeah, since I've been watching, only KP7.

20 minutes ago, Orneno said:

and May of this year, although I kinda missed that cause I was asleep).

The highest during my lifetime, same as MinYoongi, KP9 during the Halloween storms of 2003 (I was 2 then so I guess Min is slightly older than I).  I think that's the only time we've reached KP 9 since then, in any case it doesn't go any higher so that would still qualify.

But yeah, since I've been watching, only KP7

I had missed the KP 7 we had the other day. I woke up and looked on the website and BOOM there was a KP 7. 

I didn’t think it was going to be seen at my location but it sure was. And I was like dang I missed it 

• Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

I had missed the KP 7 we had the other day. I woke up and looked on the website and BOOM there was a KP 7. 

I didn’t think it was going to be seen at my location but it sure was. And I was like dang I missed it 

I know how you feel, I didn’t see anything with the naked eye and I’m in Wisconsin and it was seen in Illinois Kansas and California 😭😭

I wasn’t looking at the right times 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Orneno said:

I know how you feel, I didn’t see anything with the naked eye and I’m in Wisconsin and it was seen in Illinois Kansas and California 😭😭

I wasn’t looking at the right times

Yeah I’m in the northern part of Utah. And I saw a KP 7 on the website and didn’t go because I thought there was no possibility of northern lights this far down…

boy I was wrong

Hopefully the next strong KP7 that happens I will go and look. Because I want to see the northern lights so bad. 

• Solarflaretracker200 changed the title to What is the highest KP value you have ever seen or witnessed?
8 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

9 🙃 several times 🤪

I follow space weather since 2001 so I’ve witnessed the Halloween storms with Kp9 and saw the X28 happening.

What was your reaction to a flare that saturated the sensor for that long? That would boggle my mind. Same with the G5, but you see those a bit more often than those X20+ flares.

36 minuten geleden, dynastyll zei:

What was your reaction to a flare that saturated the sensor for that long? That would boggle my mind. Same with the G5, but you see those a bit more often than those X20+ flares.

I was excited, didn’t have headaches or anxiety 🤪 when GOES saturates it’s exciting to know what the real peak was, so the news around that was pretty great and it was a great farewell to that behemoth of a sunspot region.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

I was excited, didn’t have headaches or anxiety 🤪 when GOES saturates it’s exciting to know what the real peak was, so the news around that was pretty great and it was a great farewell to that behemoth of a sunspot region.

I would've been excited too, I honestly would've been hoping for a glancing blow from that fast CME that eruption blasted off the sun. I'm 90% sure it hit the Earth a few days later as a glancing blow.

16 minutes ago, dynastyll said:

I would've been excited too, I honestly would've been hoping for a glancing blow from that fast CME that eruption blasted off the sun. I'm 90% sure it hit the Earth a few days later as a glancing blow.

Check the SWL YouTube channel, they have a really good documentary about all the events of the Halloween Storms!

• Thanks 1

1 uur terug, dynastyll zei:

The X28 did indeed had a glancing blow even though it was on the limb!

here’s our YouTube special about the famous Halloween storms:

10 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

The X28 did indeed had a glancing blow even though it was on the limb!

here’s our YouTube special about the famous Halloween storms:

Yes, good vid 😁

I hope we have more events deserving of documentaries like that in the near future

I remember the storm of 1993 very well.  As an 144MHz (VHF 2m) amateur radio operator at 63N in Norway we worked the Moscow area via Aurora, and worked the longest distances via that mode to date.

The solar peak in 1989 and a few years onwards created a lot of Auroral blackouts.  I did work at Jan Mayen (70N, 8W) during 1989 and I remember some servere blackouts, one in particular was the X-20 flare on August 16, 1989, it viped all HF communication for a week.  The most severe days I did not hear a single signal even on medium wave.   We had no way to communicate with the mainland or to send the regular weather observations from met station 01-001 Jan Mayen :)

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Per-Einar Dahlen said:

I remember the storm of 1993 very well.  As an 144MHz (VHF 2m) amateur radio operator at 63N in Norway we worked the Moscow area via Aurora, and worked the longest distances via that mode to date.

The solar peak in 1989 and a few years onwards created a lot of Auroral blackouts.  I did work at Jan Mayen (70N, 8W) during 1989 and I remember some servere blackouts, one in particular was the X-20 flare on August 16, 1989, it viped all HF communication for a week.  The most severe days I did not hear a single signal even on medium wave.   We had no way to communicate with the mainland or to send the regular weather observations from met station 01-001 Jan Mayen :)

You communicated with Jan Mayen? Gosh, I never thought I’d see someone who actually interacted with that tiny scrap of rock between sea and ice 

7 hours ago, Orneno said:

You communicated with Jan Mayen? Gosh, I never thought I’d see someone who actually interacted with that tiny scrap of rock between sea and ice 

🤣 here I thought Jan Mayen was a place. Well I was wrong. I guess that’s because I’ve only heard the name 🤷‍♂️ 

Oh wait what am I talking about. I looked the place up. lol

1 hour ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

🤣 here I thought Jan Mayen was a place. Well I was wrong. I guess that’s because I’ve only heard the name 🤷‍♂️ 

Oh wait what am I talking about. I looked the place up. lol

It is indeed a place, one of the most remote islands in the Atlantic