Was that G3 storm we had the other day stronger then the first one we had this year?

Go to solution Solved by Sam Warfel,

• Solution
1 hour ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

It was pretty strong but I dont know if it was stronger then the other G3.

Off the top of my head, the other one reached a hemispheric power of 117, the one a few days ago reached 200. It also lasted for more than 20 hours, the other one only lasted a few if I remember right. 
So yes, without looking at the archives in detail (you can do that and find out for yourself!) my guess is the recent one was stronger, making it the strongest storm yet of Solar Cycle 25.

Okay, I looked back at the archive for the May 12 G3 storm. The solar wind speed was ~100 km/s lower, and it was definitely a short lived event, only 6 hours. Although the IMF BZ did dip further south (-18 as opposed to -15 the other day, I think), overall it looks like an intense but brief event that is generally less strong than Nov 3rd/4th. 

• Like 1