Thoughts on Kurgesagt’s solar storms video

farm24

4 hours ago, farm24 said:

I was just watching it because I like their Chanel and they made a video on solar storms so thoughts?

I remember seeing it too. Speaking as someone who is nowhere near as skilled, or knowledgeable, about the topic. I did feel it was a bit sensationalized, like they didn't point out that scientists are at least trying to find ways to mitigate the effects of storms the size of a Carrington Event. Nor do they bring up that Earth is hit with smaller storms on a regular basis.

It kind of feels a bit like those other types of YouTuber that get brought up regularly (be it by me or others) who only talk about the negatives about solar storms and hype them up to the point of doomsday sensationalism. The only difference is that instead of promoting a cult-like atmosphere where the "only way to survive" is to listen to the one guy who claims to "know more about solar sciences than the actual solar scientists" and buy into his overly alt-right conservative views and a spot on his "Ranch"; it's a video dumbing down the idea of solar storms and overlooking the fact that there are people out there who are trying to better understand how these things work and how to try and prevent things from going too far down the crapper.

• Like 2

I think you talk about this video? I think it was pretty good. A complex topic in an easy to understand format. Yes they talked about blackouts and super storms but they did mention there are ways to minimize damage and how rare such storms are and that we can prevent most of the nasty side effects. This video is absolutely not as sensationalized as many many many other videos about the topic. I would recommend this video to people to be honest. The thing that annoyed me the most about the video is how they showed a melting Earth at 0:20 and the thumbnail but other than that the video is okay!

• Like 3

We need to remember, that most of us are far more informed than the general public when it comes to subjects pertaining to the sciences involved with.... well... space.
We can easily nit pick videos about solar flares and "omg doomsday we're all gonna fry like bacon"

Here's the thing:  We need videos that are able to both inform, and be understood by everyone.  

I realize I am sounding like a pretentious douche.  Ahh well, it is what it is.

:)

On 10/21/2021 at 1:32 AM, Matthew Dewar said:

We need to remember, that most of us are far more informed than the general public when it comes to subjects pertaining to the sciences involved with.... well... space.
We can easily nit pick videos about solar flares and "omg doomsday we're all gonna fry like bacon"

Here's the thing:  We need videos that are able to both inform, and be understood by everyone.  

I realize I am sounding like a pretentious douche.  Ahh well, it is what it is.

:)

True, that's what many people like to do when videos like this pop up. Or when people make videos that do go on about "doomsday".