About the activity set for Wednesday-Thursday

Quilloz

I'm kind of worried about what'll happen with the G2-level storm set for tomorrow into Thursday. Does anyone know how bad it'll actually be?

I keep getting conflicting reports about how bad it will be, and it's not helping that the media's now talking about how the internet will go out in such storms. Should I actually be worried about this?

10 minutes ago, Quilloz said:

I'm kind of worried about what'll happen with the G2-level storm set for tomorrow into Thursday. Does anyone know how bad it'll actually be?

I keep getting conflicting reports about how bad it will be, and it's not helping that the media's now talking about how the internet will go out in such storms. Should I actually be worried about this?

I don't understand why the media are making such a big thing of this. They are just scare mongering again! 

A G2 storm is not that big, you will be fine and as you live in Canada you might be treated to some nice aurorae/s.

Nothing to worry about :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Newbie said:

I don't understand why the media are making such a big thing of this. They are just scare mongering again! 

A G2 storm is not that big, you will be fine and as you live in Canada you might be treated to some nice aurorae/s.

Nothing to worry about :)

Yeah, but I'm seeing a lot of this popping up on the 'Tube as well from (almost) all of the usual suspects of this topic (you know, Skywatch News and whatnot). And the commenters on those videos are basically saying it's the "End of the World!" or things along those lines.

The worrying part for me is that I use the computer almost 24/7. So yeah, kind of concerned here. I also don't know how far such a storm could reach in this case, which only makes things more of an anxiety attack waiting to happen.

1 hour ago, Quilloz said:

Yeah, but I'm seeing a lot of this popping up on the 'Tube as well from (almost) all of the usual suspects of this topic (you know, Skywatch News and whatnot). And the commenters on those videos are basically saying it's the "End of the World!" or things along those lines.

The worrying part for me is that I use the computer almost 24/7. So yeah, kind of concerned here. I also don't know how far such a storm could reach in this case, which only makes things more of an anxiety attack waiting to happen.

Quilloz please don't watch those You-tubers, they get people in and fill them with fear. 

They are only interested in people clicking on their websites. 

There has been a lot posted on these forums on SWL already, about this very thing. If you want something to read go back through some of the topics and posts and you'll see where people have been worried about similar things unnecessarily.

You'll be fine :)

• Like 1

As a general rule, the truthfulness and trustworthiness of a YouTube channel is inversely proportional to the number of views and number of subscribers.

As a general rule, the truthfulness and trustworthiness of a web site is directly proportional to the number of characters in its URL.

There are of course a few exceptions.  A few.

Like cat videos.  You can trust a cat video with 25,000,000 views.

Edited by Drax Spacex
A few good exceptions
  • Haha 1

We discussed this a bit in this topic here but like I said I would be very surprised to see geomagnetic storm conditions in today or tomorrow. I really hope to be wrong but I just cant get too enthusiastic about these events. When it comes to YouTube... how often have these content creators spoke about doom and gloom as soon as NOAA comes with a storm watch? Yeah, a lot of times... and how often did we had doom and gloom? Yeah, never. I rest my case.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quilloz said:

Clear your YouTube history and don't watch anything related to solar flares on there again, or else the algorithm will start endlessly feeding you those vids. As a general rule, don't watch them.

They are not a good source of information, and use scare tactics as clickbait. You've simply fallen for it. There is no validity to such content. Stop watching that trash and just check here.

As a note, geomagnetic storms rarely affect anything on the ground noticeably. Moreover, is the internet going down for a few hours really the end of the world...? Not that it's even a possibility in this case, but really?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Christopher S. said:

Clear your YouTube history and don't watch anything related to solar flares on there again, or else the algorithm will start endlessly feeding you those vids. As a general rule, don't watch them.

They are not a good source of information, and use scare tactics as clickbait. You've simply fallen for it. There is no validity to such content. Stop watching that trash and just check here.

As a note, geomagnetic storms rarely affect anything on the ground noticeably. Moreover, is the internet going down for a few hours really the end of the world...? Not that it's even a possibility in this case, but really?

It's not just a YouTube thing, it's a general anxiety thing, I look this up on other sites such as Google, SpaceWeather, here, Reddit, Facebook and so on. Anything talking about close encounters involving CMEs or asteroids always hits the anxiety button.

Also those articles are saying months, not hours.

Edited by Quilloz

26 minutes ago, Quilloz said:

It's not just a YouTube thing, it's a general anxiety thing, I look this up on other sites such as Google, SpaceWeather, here, Reddit, Facebook and so on. Anything talking about close encounters involving CMEs or asteroids always hits the anxiety button.

Also those articles are saying months, not hours.

Then you will have to observe for yourself this G2 storm, if it occurs, come out the other side and see that it was nothing at all. :)

What has been said to you already? Nothing to fear!

43 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Then you will have to observe for yourself this G2 storm, if it occurs, come out the other side and see that it was nothing at all. :)

What has been said to you already? Nothing to fear!

Thing is, where I live, I usually can't even see these storms, so all I got is the forecast, and it's not really saying how badly the storm will affect the planet. So from there, I got all those other sources, and now you can see why I'm not at ease.

G1 storms are one thing, it's the G2 storms and above that worry the heck out of me.

2 hours ago, Quilloz said:

La cosa es que, donde vivo, por lo general ni siquiera puedo ver estas tormentas, así que todo lo que tengo es el pronóstico, y en realidad no dice cuánto afectará la tormenta al planeta. Entonces, a partir de ahí, obtuve todas esas otras fuentes, y ahora puedes ver por qué no estoy a gusto.

Las tormentas G1 son una cosa, son las tormentas G2 y por encima de eso me preocupan muchísimo.

Hello Quillioz, calm down, and if a g2 happens, it's nothing, honestly, there was already g2 and I even passed a g3 and we continue here https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/es/archivo/2021/05/12/kp.html

Edited by Isatsuki San
bad translation and it goes on but I hope it is understood a little better
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Quilloz said:

Thing is, where I live, I usually can't even see these storms, so all I got is the forecast, and it's not really saying how badly the storm will affect the planet. So from there, I got all those other sources, and now you can see why I'm not at ease.

G1 storms are one thing, it's the G2 storms and above that worry the heck out of me.

Dont worry. Even a G5 Storm is not really a problem momentarily.

A Carington - Level Event COULD technically bring problems, not even globally.. But normal Space Weather is not really a threat for many places at the same time. I mean, even the biggest ever observed Storms that hit us in 2003 "only" took out some power in scandinavia for half a day, and those Storms were like x20 or something :'D 

Stop watching these Youtubers, they gain money and clicks with their fearmongering.

Its the same as the "ASTEROID ON ITS WAY TO EARTH!" Videos and Articles, when they are more than 10 Lunar Distances Away.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Quilloz said:

By 'observing' I meant checking the geomagnetic activity page on SWL for updates. G2 storms are nothing! 

But you won't be convinced till you encounter one.Then you'll be fine. :)

By the way no one on this forum is going to lie to you or give you false hope. You can trust what is said.

You'd never know there was a G2 storm when one was happening if you didn't look at the internet.  Unless you live in the North, you won't see an Aurora and will probably be asleep anyway.
I'm guessing you've lived through many G2, a number of G3, and probably a few G4 storms in your life, probably without knowing it.
Bottom line, there's no perceptible impact on our lives, except maybe small outages at the G4+ levels.  No major news outlet will ever publish that type of fictional fear-mongering, the only thing to pay attention to is the chance to see pretty Aurora.

• Like 2

Op 1/9/2021 om 05:46, Quilloz zei:

I keep getting conflicting reports about how bad it will be, and it's not helping that the media's now talking about how the internet will go out in such storms.

Talking about a “bad” year… in 2003, we had more than 150 days with a geomagnetic storm, 47 days where G2, 12 days G3, 3 days of G4 and 2 days of G5. I survived that year and still surviving now 😝 there where only some issues during the G5 and they learned from it and adapted systems to prevent damage from being done. 

just to say, nothing to worry about, it’s common space weather and we’ll have a lot more storms coming and it’s all natural ;) 

It’s more likely internet or power will fail because of a tornado or by road works or other common causes but not due to space weather. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Just read about that on SpaceWeather, huge sigh of relief right there.

Though that does beg the question- why do people like to fearmonger solar storms? What do they gain from such tactics?

1 hour ago, Quilloz said:

Though that does beg the question- why do people like to fearmonger solar storms? What do they gain from such tactics?

Why do people kill other people, why do they lie, why do they cheat, etc etc? Some people enjoy notoriety, their 5 minutes of fame. Unfortunately it's a trait in some that like to control and inflict pain or fear on others. It gives them a sense of power. 

Avoid them. Their reward will come!

And even if the storm did eventuate, it wouldn't have had any great impact. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quilloz said:

Fear can feel good, because  there is something of great importance which might be lost. Finding a sense of urgency in life is a challenge for some, and fear gives you something larger to imagine. (This is just my opinion.) Those with nothing to lose, have nothing to fear. 

Also, some people have little tolerance for fear, and become flooded with emotions from the imagination of disaster.  Youtube fear-mongers are trying to exploit this for more views/clicks. :)

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1

I am concerned that those in the know are not being completely honest about the condition of the earth's magnetic field.  IF you look at the amount of earthquake activity between South Sandwich Islands in the Southern Atlantic and the Kermadec Island earthquakes, there are things shifting on nearly opposite sides of the earth.  This also involves a weakening magnetic field, and this is where the fear of historically insignificant solar activity, now may be warranted.  Imagine a baseball catcher wearing a down vest instead of an armored vest.  Getting hit is dramatically different.  Lots of things happening at one time.

With respect to the conversation about "YouTubers", I think it ill informed to make blanket statements about anything.  I will fully support SuspiciousObservers (Ben Davidson) in any challenge of fact he offers on his channel.  He is highly credible and subject to petty, baseless accusations made by people who do not possess the focus or determination to understand the facts and challenge the standard narrative to the depth Ben does.  Other than Ben, I pretty much watch and make YouTube videos about Jeeps and 4 wheeling :) Give SuspiciousObservers a watch, he has a whole series you can attempt to pick apart.  It's worth a look to an open mind.  After all isn't that what science is all about, open mindedness?  No, I am not a paid nor brainwashed spokes person.  

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 2:48 PM, johntmorton said:

With respect to the conversation about "YouTubers", I think it ill informed to make blanket statements about anything.  I will fully support SuspiciousObservers (Ben Davidson) in any challenge of fact he offers on his channel.  He is highly credible and subject to petty, baseless accusations made by people who do not possess the focus or determination to understand the facts and challenge the standard narrative to the depth Ben does.  Other than Ben, I pretty much watch and make YouTube videos about Jeeps and 4 wheeling :) Give SuspiciousObservers a watch, he has a whole series you can attempt to pick apart.  It's worth a look to an open mind.  After all isn't that what science is all about, open mindedness?  No, I am not a paid nor brainwashed spokes person.  

There are those who produce videos to put on the Internet whose sole purpose is to scare people. They use sensational headings to get people to click on their pages. They play on people's emotions, putting fear in their hearts. They are cruel!

It is these 'YouTubers' that are being referred to here.

Take a moment to go through some of the previous fora/ums. People come to SWL anxious and frightened by the things they watch on these dubious sites. They ask, "should I be worried about this"? or say " I have bad anxiety about this" !

Everyone who reads this forum should know that not all YouTubers are being singled out, only those who fearmonger or make outrageous unsubstantiated claims! 

You are free to follow who you will.

Edited by Newbie
Grammar
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2021 at 12:14 AM, johntmorton said:

At the risk of possible blowback, I'll keep it as brief as I possibly can.

Davidson is kind of an asshole. Now I know that sounds harsh, but from what I have seen, it's the truth. I get that science as we know it can be pretty flawed, but that's kind of the whole point- Start off not knowing too much about something, work from there with more observations, studying and research. The problem with S0 is that the research that they do is, for lack of a better term, cobbled together at the best of times and made up whole from cloth at others. Now I'm neutral when it comes to the climate and climate change (being that I live in a costal area, whether it heats or cools I'm SOL either way). But from what I've seen, half of the papers that Ben reads off, especially as far as the sun is concerned, directly contradict what he says (and before you ask, yes, I have read some of the papers he's linked, so I have a base understanding of what I'm talking about).

This, mind, is before you get into the non-scientific content of his videos. I won't go too far into it, but he likes to bring up his political views (he supported the clusterbomb that was the Jan 6. Capital Hill march) and hate against other scientists (he wants those that study Dark matter to be executed after admitting those studies are nothng more than a tax fraud, and is currently declaring war on NASA itself) about as much as he does his research. And I sincerely hope you don't buy into that Micronova stuff, because that's stolen from Biblical scholar Doug Vogt, but with the bible stuff removed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to alternative views, the issue I have with people like Davidson (or others like Real BPEarthWatch, the Daily Express, Ice Age Farmer, et.al) is that they like to fetishize the doomsday aspect of the events, and not actually look into their sources with detail. I know Ben uses the "Speedreading" excuse, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was nothing more than an excuse to hide the fact that his "Micronova will kill almost everyone" doom-mongering is just nothing more than a rapture-inspired scare tactic but with the rapture taken out of it. Because that's what it feels like whenever he talks about it. My advice to you is that if you want to be a true "suspicious 0bserver", maybe actually be suspicious of all the people and websites you get your sources from.

And since you mentioned the USGS, I should note that Ben actively hates the USGS and thinks they're mocking him personally.

Edited by Quilloz