Stellar Symmetry

Archmonoth

On 9/30/2021 at 6:28 AM, Archmonoth said:

Jokes and puns often require multiple meanings, like Drax's joke. Riddles are multiple meanings hidden in the obvious, and while they might be confusing, multiple meanings are there. Parables, platitudes, and poetry are all vague uses of meaning, so that the reader can find meaning without strict definitions. 

Poetry is probably the most forgiving of contradiction, and jokes are the most pleasant. Here is my favorite dad style joke: "When does a joke become a dad joke? When it becomes apparent..." Multiple meanings can lead to confusion, but it is rarely the destination. 

"It is what it is..."  This platitude means whatever someone wants it to mean, or "Wherever you go, there you are..."  This platitude resonates differently with people at different times of their life, fully symmetrical, and vague enough to mean multiple things. Most symmetry only needs a lack of contradiction to be reversible, and with poetry, you can omit details which specify too much, allowing the reader to see what they want.

The vague and the truth are usually symmetrical, by not being incorrect/contradictory.  

There is also numerical symmetry in types of poems with meter and syllables, like Haikus. The 5/7/5 format is symmetrical from top to bottom, but doesn't describe any content. 

I mentioned slang earlier, and I think it is worth mentioning again. Rather than using an explicative, I'll use the word "smurf" which can describe something without any details. Example: "We smurfed all the way to the ocean, smurfed a while, then smurfed on our way home. "  Ocean and home provide destinations and the context describes travel, but smurf could mean anything. You have some knowledge, but not complete knowledge. I could find a word which is symmetrical between all 3 activities, like... "talk" which  would look like this: "We talked all the way to the ocean, talked a while, then talked on our way home."  

In mythology, only a few ideas are completely separate, the Sun and the ocean are probably the most common. 

Anyways, thanks again for the chance to attempt an explanation. Here is my favorite symmetry meme, if memes are allowed on this site. 

Archmonoth: Last to first.

I loved the meme, did you compile it?

I understand symmetry in poems, haikus, the pace, the rhythm and so on.

I'm not well versed in mythology.

I see then symmetry in music (theory) construction of chords, tones, semitones, scales and so on (I'm talking about 12 tone western music here). The way all combine to make melodies, harmonies and symphonies all pleasing to the ear.

Smurf conjures up that little blue man! :) I understand how the word Smurf fills the gaps, you could have used ... anthing.

Have you considered that oscillation may better describe the double, triple, multiple meaning of words and phrases? Like drawings where you see different things the longer you look at it - like the sketch you have done for your identity here on this forum. 

The vague and the truth, hmm I don't see symmetry here. Vagueness can be used to conceal the truth by omitting details.

Yes, I think resonance best describes how writing is perceived. If you know something is a joke there is no problem with it. It can be satirical or poking fun, no problems. I suppose this is where written communication can get a person into trouble. If you are not familiar with a person, it can be taken the wrong way. Better to err on the side of courtesy methinks.

Yes, poets have a licence and they're not afraid to use it haha!

Parables help to explain those things that are maybe not so obvious but even parables needed to be explained.

... and now we come to Dad jokes, Haha!  they don't need much explanation (hopefully), I liked your Dad  joke, LOL

Newbie :)

Edited by Newbie

39 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I loved the meme, did you compile it?

Naw, glad you liked it :)

Smurf conjures up that little blue man! :) I understand how the word Smurf fills the gaps, you could have used ... anthing.

There are words which would result in a contradictory sentence. Vagueness prevents contradiction. 

Have you considered that oscillation may better describe the double, triple, multiple meaning of words and phrases? Like drawings where you see different things the longer you look at it - like the sketch you have done for your identity here on this forum. 

Pun definition: "a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words which sound alike but have different meanings." 

There are many English words with multiple meanings: Ring, bark, pupil, row, toast.... etc.. I don't see them as oscillating between the meanings, and if your sentence structure allows both meanings to be true, wouldn't that mean the word is symmetrical? "I gave my friend a ring." This phrase could mean I called them on the phone, or I gave them an object, and perhaps both. Until you find a contradiction, what does ring mean? 

Symmetry in Group Theory is an action upon an object which the object retains its appearance or shape. So perhaps in a way, the action taken on the words is cognition, and thinking of the words differently doesn't result in a contradiction of the sentence.  

The vague and the truth, hmm I don't see symmetry here. Vagueness can be used to conceal the truth by omitting details.

Technically you are correct :) 

... but I liked your Dad  joke, LOL

Newbie :)

Thanks..