2021-06-30 EPAM data lines up with 1,000% spike in home geiger counter

Gunslinger2-6

Imgur link for screenshots:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Ke8bNPN

I was browsing Reddit and noticed a post in r/homeautomation. This individual from Canada had installed a geiger counter in an outside location for 24/7 monitoring. At 9:21 UTC, he noticed a nearly 1,000% spike in counts per minute, lasting approximately 5 minutes. This geiger counter only detects Beta and Gamma radiation. Would this have anything to do with the spike in the EPAM data, at the same time, on the same date? I am by no means as knowledgeable as many of you, I was just wondering if there was any possible correlation. Thanks!

Such a small increase in low energy proton density is not detectable on earth surface. That would require a major SPE, which in turn can be detected on earth through secondary neutrons. Which is a rare event, called Ground Level Enhancement (GLE). But there was none.

In a radioactivity monitor that I once serviced, a literal bug caused a short circuit on the HV side of the geiger-muller tube, which caused a sudden spike in the reading:
R.jpg

But generally speaking, such readings should be taken serious and the cause would have to be investigated. But the sun wasn't the cause.

Edited by helios
  • Like 1