Lets talk about the happenings on the sun, planets, until Christmas

SunManGoo

Just noticed a CME that nobody has talked about? Why is that? Is there a relation to the alignments and the recent action on the sun? Is the 'storm' they talk of, related to a coming solar storm? 

Lets start a thread with things that occurr between now and the alignments, and the dead for 3 days, and resurrection of the son. :)

Here's the latest CME - and the second pic shows a halo, you can see it if you watch the video. Is it ironic that there is that alignment almost directly behind where the solar flares are

cme2.jpg

cme5.png

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/lasco-coronagraph

The videos from this CME today are missing the sections on when it happened? Anyone there? Any ideas?

I think there has been many posts about the recent activity of the Sun. Solar cycle 25 is getting started (November) and there have been flares, CME, radio emissions, even a KP4 plasma cloud which rolled over the earth.  

Normal solar activity is not a world ending thing or something of importance, plenty of CMEs flares and such do nothing, even when faced at the earth. There are many things which happen with the Sun, but due to distance and the magnetic field of the earth, we are relativity insulated from the drama of the Sun. 

X class flares happen, and we are still here, no fall of society, no Armageddon, its just a larger tide washing protons upon our magnetic shoreline. 

Not trying to scour your enthusiasm, just offering a perspective, because what we see may seem awesome and incredible, it is really far away.

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1

We only write about CME’s that are interesting, that means Earth directed flares are the ones with priority but sometimes we also write on massive CME’s that aren’t Earth directed but are amazing to watch. The one you referred too was one that wasn’t enough to write about, but hey this is a space weather forum where you can discuss any CME or solar event 😉

the Second image doesn’t seem to have any CME in it. Many times we use difference images to see CME’s more clearly like in this nice example:EE06A833-0C93-4E67-A566-5937D8AB7E2A.png

• Like 2

Oh I thought it was odd since there are news posts about other solar flares / CME if they are not suspected to hit earth but are captured in detail. Is anyone else not able to download the 1024 / 512 res videos from Lasco C2 during this time? Right now they come up blank for me: https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/solar-images/soho.html#c2videos-2

Dec 14 and 16 had CME's on opposite sides of the sun - just thought that might get more attention if other's have. Are these considered small CME's?

dec14.jpg

dec17.jpg

I have only ever been able to play back the 256 x 256 animated gif file because of unsupported MIME format of my device/browser.

For a quick look of latest C2 and C3 animated imagery, I also go here:
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/lasco-coronagraph

If you want to generate a customized playback of the LASCO imagery, you could go here: https://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/data/Theater/ Select the date range by pressing two dates in the calendar.  It is not a downloadable movie format but a sequence of images being played back.

There's always something interesting to see in the LASCO imagery.  Right now Mercury is seen in both C2 and C3.  And at the top right of C3 there appears to be a comet coming into view.

I think the admins here do a good job of choosing the events which are significant to report, either because they are atypical or because they may impact Earth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, the LASCO image you are referring to is not abnormal. The CCD imager suffers from incoming particles that hit the spacecraft and its sensors.

Ever seen LASCO images during a space radiation storm? It’s way worse then ;)  

5C86CEDB-8AF0-4464-B318-10AC410A11F8.jpeg

other images include optical effects of the sun on ice particles in the air (halo, solar polar,...). Nothing out of the ordinary. 

the video of the so called meteor looks very fake. Meteors are way faster when they enter the atmosphere and upon re-entry it surely doesn’t look like that as meteors break up when re-entering in a whole different way. Plus it would have been seen by thousands of people but only one tweeted about it. I refer to the Chelyabinsk meteor, that was biiiiig news.

last one was a rocket launch or missile test as it appears to happen more frequently in that area and people living there are used to it, but for people who don’t live there might view it as something strange but it isn’t.

common do some fact-checking will ya ;) don’t believe everything that’s put online.