New moon(s) and calsky

Drax Spacex

Why does the moon phases calendar here show 3 consecutive days of new moons for December, 2020?  AFAIK, only one calendar day should be assigned for each new moon, first quarter, last quarter, and full moon.  Are we experiencing three consecutive days of 0% lunar illumination this month?

Calsky.com was a trusted site I would sometimes visit to find definitive information to such questions and all things astronomical.  I'm sure a lot of you have used it too.  Unfortunately it shut down October 2020 - "It is done."

So I've added some extra checks to see if the illumination of the moon is 100% it will show full moon, and when it's 0 it's new moon. But do know it's time related, with time the illumination decreases or increases depending on the phase. Even if it's calculated to be 100% on a date, later that day it can already be over 😉 that's why the calendar showed it sometimes on the day before/after. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1