New Goes-16 readings

MinYoongi
Go to solution Solved by Marcel de Bont,

Hey Guys! Today the Noaa Swpc switched to Goes 16, right? Since then the Solar Flux isnt around A8 anymore, its A0,1. Is that a reading mistake or did the scale change with the new satellite? If somebody could explain all the new things to me, and how to read them, that'd be nice. 

Thanks!

Ps: i will post a picture of another graph (electron flux) and Goes16 (shown in blue) is crazy-spiking there as well...im so confused :D

15759177386876332122639585750355.jpg

Edited by MinYoongi
  • Thanks 1

• Solution

You are very much correct. They switched to GOES 16 for the GOES primary today. The very low X-ray reading is correct. The GOES-16 X-ray sensor is much more sensitive especially during very low solar activity. It is all explained in the following document. https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/images/GOES 16 XRS Updates and Status.pdf

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the quick answer, Marcel!

My Question is just, are the "old" readings wrong? Or has like the format changed? I mean, does the new A0,8 equal A8 from the old Geos Satellite? I hope that doesnt sounds too confusing, im originally from germany. 

Im rather new to all the Spaceweather Stuff, thats why i gotta learn :)

• Thanks 1

If I understood NOAA's document correctly they are only wrong at very very low solar activity. The old sensors just weren't sensitive enough for such quiet conditions. You will see more more variability during quiet solar periods. They also removed a correction factor which has been in place for a very long time. Open the hyperlink from my first post. You can read all about it in the document from the NOAA SWPC.

• Thanks 2

There is a discrepancy with SpWxL’s presentation of GOES-15 Long data:

SpWxDataChange.thumb.jpg.1ebfc2e13ab3db6fe5f5bc280e9b2949.jpg

Putting it into common form,

GOES-15L = A8.48 (SWPC-graph & SpWxL)

14L = A3.94 (SpWxL-DE09 archive & SWPC-txt)

15S = A3.28

16S = A0.697 = a6.97

16L = A0.231 = a2.31 (SWPC & SpWxL)

It appears that “A3.94” on the daily archive is actually GOES-14 Long!

I suspect that SpWxL is pulling its data from    ftp://ftp.swpc.noaa.gov/pub/lists/xray—?

The SpWxL values given for 10Dec appear to be even more wacko!

@1332z: GOES-15L = A8.24 (SWPC-graph)

= A8.29 (SpWxL & SWPC-txt)

14L = A3.88 (SpWxL-DE10 archive & SWPC-txt)

16L = A0.201 = a2.01 (SWPC)

= A0.18  = a1.8 (SpWxL-Rolling day)

Why the discrepancy with the 15 & 16 Long values?

In particular with SpWxL, why is the primary’s graph data between the rolling day and daily archive different?

Also, more generally, why is GOES-15 Long > Short, but GOES-16 Long < Short??

Edited by Kaimbridge
fixed link

GOES 16 is more sensitive, especially during low activity, that's why GOES 15 data and GOES16 data are different. GOES 16 is more true to real measurements in these quiet days then GOES15. When you look in previous solar minimum, the solar activity was at A0,0-A0,2 and thus the readings of GOES 15 now where already too high (instrument sensitivity not good enough). During solar flares it would match up better. 

There is a difference between the archive and the live feed, SWPC didn't switch the final data to the current GOES-16 satellite and thus there is a difference between the live data and the archive. We do hope SWPC will switch the finalized data to the new primary 16 and put the 15 as secondary for finalized data (currently for finalized data it's GOES-14 they use).

13 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

GOES 16 is more sensitive, especially during low activity, that's why GOES 15 data and GOES16 data are different. GOES 16 is more true to real measurements in these quiet days then GOES15.

But what about the different “Long”/“Short”relativity?: If “Long” is more/greater/higher than “Short” for GOES-15, shouldn’t “Long” be more/greater/higher than “Short” for GOES-16, too, although the spread may be a bit different?

Also, they (SWPC) say “The GOES-16 & 17 XRS data values will read about 30% higher than older GOES satellite measurements...”: If you look at the values, aren’t they actually less than the GOES-15 values?

13 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

There is a difference between the archive and the live feed, SWPC didn't switch the final data to the current GOES-16 satellite and thus there is a difference between the live data and the archive. We do hope SWPC will switch the finalized data to the new primary 16 and put the 15 as secondary for finalized data (currently for finalized data it's GOES-14 they use).

Isn’t it because they set up new pages (in JSON no less! P=) ?:

--Old:  ftp://ftp.swpc.noaa.gov/pub/lists/xray/

--New:  https://services.swpc.noaa.gov/json/goes/primary/

https://services.swpc.noaa.gov/json/goes/secondary/

Edited by Kaimbridge
Fix formatting

13 uren geleden, Kaimbridge zei:

Also, they (SWPC) say “The GOES-16 & 17 XRS data values will read about 30% higher than older GOES satellite measurements...”: If you look at the values, aren’t they actually less than the GOES-15 values?

If you compare it with GOES15 it looks like that, but compare it with GOES 14 and older it's 30% higher. But what is 30% in 0.00000001 watts / m-2 

13 uren geleden, Kaimbridge zei:

Isn’t it because they set up new pages (in JSON no less! P=) ?:

SWPC hasn't discontinued their warehouse archive of finalized data, it was never mentioned that would be the case. Update: on SWL we'll switch our archiver to the new file format of SWPC. If all goes well, from tomorrow on we'll be using the GOES16 data in the archive.