Geomagnetic fluctuations and seizures

Michael gimmeson

On 3/28/2019 at 9:47 PM, Kaimbridge said:

SpaceWeather.com posted an article, Can Humans Sense Magnetic Storms?, about that study, including a link to a pdf version of the whole eNeuro paper, Transduction of the Geomagnetic Field as Evidenced from Alpha-band Activity in the Human Brain.

One thing I find interesting about the discussion right here, in this forum, is that some have mentioned being Aspergic/on the autism spectrun (I was never diagnosed as being an Aspie, but given my history, quirks and interests, I would say I am definitely—at least mildly—Aspergic...plus I was most certainly classified as ADHD in my grade school years! P=)
Given that the nature of autism is that oneʼs brain is wired differently, as well as those on the spectrum are more gastrointestinally sensitive, maybe we are actually physically more heliobiologically sensitive–?

This is what I’ve been thinking. I have bad hypersensitivities (light, sounds) and they tend to worsen along geostorms.

One thing is that when Kp index is 0 - I am usually hyperactive and have very little -or none- sleep. I did notice that this was once mentioned on space weather.com by one man but his thoughts were very quickly shot down. So I didn’t have the courage to share my experience. But there is affects on human healt with high kp’s - so why not at lows? 

It would be interesting to hear your comments on this phenomena. 

Sunny 

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I am Mary.  I, on the 4th of July, got up at 6:30am EST and was fine. Fell back asleep and woke at 9:30 am to have had a seizure and had a huge headache until 11pm. The night before, 3rd, I was agitated and things had to be away from my head. The 5th I started out alittle off and by afternoon I slept til 4pm. 

I live in NY and on the 4th an earthquake happened in CA. 

Yes I see a neurologist since 1998. Yes I feel when the barometric pressure changes or when the weather is going to get yucky. 

I am so glad I am not the only one! Having a seizure makes you feel lost as it is but when phenomenal things happen at the same time- it is neat in it’s own way but very draining. Take care!

🙏💗❣️🦋

• Like 1

Picking up on a few bits here...
Yes, humans can detect electromagnetic fields, but it seems the deleterious effects mentioned here tend to arise from sudden changes, not so much in strength. I base this on discussing the effect with people over the last 10-12 years who have experienced this.
Yes, also autistic people seem to be more affected, including one woman of my acquaintance who can locate an electrical device in a room by moving across the room. More commonly though the effect seems to involve feelings of nausea, migraine, brain fog, loss of coordination, migraine-like halo effects, head or neck ache, pressure sensations.
For my own part it seems that it is solar wind density that correlates most strongly with the effect. Specifically sharp large fluctuations in density. However there are other factors involved that intensify (but not weaken) the effect. One thing that is certain, I come to realise I've got 'that feeling' and will go check online only to find that, sure enough, the planet is currently being zapped. As to what 'that feeling' involves - an ache at the base of the back of the skull, sensation of pressure in mid-brain region, trouble focusing vision, sense of lethargy are the most common. Others can include on a scale of minor to worst, faint smell of iron, ache at the back of the throat, loss of coordination (inability to type easily tends to show up as a first sign), nausea, halo effects including large white areas of no vision, falling suddenly asleep, absence seizures and rarely tonic-clonic type seizures.
Overhead electrical storms can also have an effect.
Flipping back to the autistic angle, many of us are sensitive to things like noise from flourescent lighting, poor electrical connections or components about to fail in the vicinity. Not being able to sleep or to focus ina  room with multiple electrical devices is not common but also occurs. One example of self-reporting research of several thousand autistics (hardly the gold standard I know!) showed about 40% of autistics were had some form of sensitivity to electromagnetic fields.
Because of a general belief that humans simply cannot detect or respond to EM there's been very little by way of research but that does not change the lived experience which, unfortunately, can be debilitating at times, regardless of whether it has been researched, or whether people even believe it possible. For my own part, I'm well used to researchers refusing to believe that autistics can do this or that (it goes with the territory unfortunately) so though research to confirm this would be nice, it will just be yet another example among many where a study finally caught up with something so commonplace in the autistic community that we don't bother discussing it much any more.
MAQQI

• Thanks 1

Interesting. I'd love to see more folks utilizing databases available to us.

@ CDR Solar Child
Electromagnetic energy, if truly traveling at the speed of light takes about 1.4 seconds to reach earth.
On the other hand, physical material from CME's: One super fast instance was recorded at just ~18 hours. Varies by speed.
The charges vary, negative or positive or both.
Mind-bogglingly detailed data is available online for all of it, just not made super easy or standardized yet to pull or process.

@ RachelDLS
"Allergic to the 21st Century". Beats my "allergic to velcro" problem. Thank you for that. :)

> "Correlation does not imply causation"
We were all born as scientists. I noticed that knocking my food onto to the floor from the high-chair correlates with mom's distress, but correlation does not imply causation so therefore just keep doing it?
Usually in saying this dismissive token, it is a way for people to devalidate a theory as meaningless so they need not gather information. It's like saying, just because geomagnetic storms hit us a few days after CME's (correlation) does not mean the sun was responsible (cause). Money doesn't cause happiness. Reply: Neither does poverty.
Part of the scientific method is to observe something, form a hypothesis, gather information and in that, correlations are important, then next steps, further analysis, measurements to verify can logically be more cost effective, targeted. You don't just dismiss them. To chide the gathering of information and sharing/publishing a potential conclusion--to criticize that--is the opposite of science, it's anti-science but makes people feel lofty.

I told my gf a test showed me to be borderline Aspergers. She's Brazilian and replied, what is Asparagus Syndrome?

Adding your seizure records as a column to online CME data (and/or geomagnetic storm data), precise correlation values can be obtained quickly with `pandas` corr() method. I use python. Start with csv, use pd.read_csv(), then corr(), should save newbies some time.
One difficulty in quantifying CME's vs seizure date/time in the case of delay (material reaching us over days vs the near-instantaneous electromagnetic pop at the time of the solar event) is that they sometimes thump more directly against the magnetosphere (see below). "Substorms" are still a mystery for example, so correlations by scientists in the hope of understanding them lead to the launching of new satellites to take new types of measurements. This content above shows a mystery, peer-reviewed (in comments), correlations, and it merits a budget for study/measurements, the launching of a mission to understand it.

Pretty sure everyone can enjoy these two videos:
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2019/in-solar-system-s-symphony-earth-s-magnetic-field-drops-the-beat

I had not connected the dots pointed out by Michael and others so I appreciate the reports. I'm fairly certain that more-seizures-than-thought relate to toxoplasma gondii in the brain, `eating` gaba (my case). Contrary to the oft-repeated 30-yr-old falsehood, you don't have to be sick or pregnant to be harmed by it.

So with Michael gimmeson's observed likely-correlation in mind, my initial hypothesis would be that the aberrant solar activity might agitate the microbes causing more movement sparking sudden cascading discharges, and/or via the unnatural chemical imbalances caused by toxo's presence in brain matter.

NOAA has the near earth data.
NASA beyond that including solar.

Geo magnetic, storms, solar flares and he streams with low kp are the trigger for migraine and seizure.

Magnetic reconnection (Bz) is the trigger for pain and psychosis. 

This is the primary trigger for these episodes, we are a closed system, cellular damage can not mitigate the flux, this is a fact which is proven by using a zero guess chamber to prevent or stop a seizure, any cascade for that matter, including stroke. The body does not create its own medical episode from nothing, show me a medical episode where the above factors are missing.... should be easy since magnetic reconnection only happens 4 times a day and the KP is below 3 most of the time in minimum.  I have documented  thousands of cases, space weather causes all episodes... period. 

Op 26/3/2019 om 01:54, m00se zei:

the scientific metho

If I slap you in the face and cause a bloody nose you can't say that I caused it just because I slapped you. So got to love how overdone that correlation cause line is used..  used when someone does not want to engage in hypothesis or possibilities, they love to stand on the banks, sometimes they are in the stream. But like both, they pat each other on the back, while having contempt for the outsider who could not possibly know what he is talking about... nothing could be further from the truth,  we are always ahead of our time. 

Btw. Correlation can be the apparent cause when the correlation goes well beyond chance, it will take you further upstream.... Sometimes we have to take our head out of our constipated ass or nothing new will be discovered, remember nobody in the "main stream" or on the banks discovered anything. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am a physician and I am a bit skeptical.  Because geomagnetic changes are so minute compared to every day magnetic field that are near us.  Cars, electronics, regular magnets, high voltage power all generate electric fields much stronger because we are closer.  If there is really a link, then how is MRIs safe for patients with epilepsy?  Conversely, if you go into a Faraday cage you should then be able to fully dissociate from said geomagnetic changes?  I think there could be a biase on drawing correlation if you only examine 2 parameters.

• Like 1

@Michael gimmeson    

I hope you still read this thread ... i have a suggestion:

Epilepsy and MS and Auto-Immune deseases ...are many times related to the Sun.

More specific its cycles, rhythms or specific changes in the spectrum ... how the Sun moves over Earth is a factor also. 

Its not the Earthquakes itself: 

Earthquakes are in fact a (complicated) "proxy" for certain components in Solar-Radiation or its Patterns & Cycles. 

(my theory ... not everyone agrees

Its not the  "Magnetic" fields neither .

Its the "RADIATION " ... the " 'light " from the Sun

but below visible spectrum. ... that part of the spectrum is called  "Radio-Frequencies" 

For Sun related sickness (like i mentioned above) ... you should look at the: 

"Pineal Gland

since thats the (radio-frequent) sensor in our body that looks at the Sun.

It works  like your Eyes ... the only difference is that the frequency is a little  lower

Unfortunately science did not do much research on the "Pineal Gland

They dont know what exactly it is for ... its purpose is not clear

It works like this:  We know it has to do with the Sun ... but we cant proof it ...  therefore it has nothing to do with it. 

or "It doesn't exist if you not proof it first"  

Its a "sensitive" subject also ... talking about Sun and it's direct influence on Humans  is still to "'Alternative"  

Anyway,

This "'Pineal Gland"' plays a very important role in our "Bio-clocks" and our "Immune-system"

Many people with above deseases ... have a problem with receiving sun-radiation ... causing  immune-system or bio-clock problems. 

Medical science has reported above sicknesses to "possibly" have a relation with the Sun ... but they cant figure it out yet .. let alone proof it.

Some say its all  "correlation" , not proof ! ... fine with me ... but that does not help you now

... and science is going to take another 250 years to figure this out ... and write it all down. 

My suggestion: 

if you suffer from any of above mentioned deseases.

Try relocating to a different part of the world 

For example :  Northern to Southern Hemisphere,  or the other way around. 

or go to a far away Time-Zone ...  try  6, 8 or 12 hours. 

By doing that you change the patterns and timing of the solar-radiation that you receive

... This might help to solve the problem.

Maybe you could try this for 1 year or less ? ... and already see the effects?

Or you look at the "Pineal Gland " ... maybe it is sick ? ... it does'nt work like it should ?

I read they can shrink ... or they can become "calcified" on the lower part  (makes "'reception" worse ?) 

its like covering your eye ...you will see less ... i read there are ways to remove that Calcium.   

Calcium comes from "'Fluoride" ... maybe you can avoid that ?  ...you could check what products or food contain "Fluoride" ?

Above are all suggestions that dont need any medicins or vaccines 

The official medicins for above deseases mostly only fight the effects .. not the desease itself. 

My suggestion is directly curing the desease itself  

Consider it ... Google research it ... ok if you have more questions ... i will try to reply.

Diagnose, > Explanation > Solutions !  

Ronald de Groot, Amsterdam The Netherlands  

[DISCLAIMER]

I am not a doctor ... i'm a science-researcher  .. i collect existing research.

Edited by Ron NL
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Ron NL said:

My suggestion is directly curing the desease itself  

1 hour ago, Ron NL said:

Calcium comes from "'Fluoride" ... maybe you can avoid that ?  ...you could check what products or food contain "Fluoride" ?

1 hour ago, Ron NL said:

Unfortunately science did not do much research on the "Pineal Gland

They dont know what exactly it is for ... its purpose is not clear

1 hour ago, Ron NL said:

This "'Pineal Gland"' plays a very important role in our "Bio-clocks" and our "Immune-system"

Ron, I believe at this point it is worth asking you what you smoke on a daily basis that leads to posts like this. Give me the name of the strain, I need to see what's poppin' in the Netherlands.

To the original post by Michael Gimmeson: My niece was diagnosed with recurring epileptic seizures and migraines many years ago. With her father being a physician, they could not figure out the trigger even with a cocktail of medications. It is still assumed to be stress related. Recent solar activities and recurrence, however, seem to suggest that there is a correlation. You can add her to the list. They did not keep a log of solar activities in the past to re-evaluate - due to "scientific" reasons (or lack of, as some of the posts have indicated).  For laypersons missing fundamental knowledge, it would seem that correlation of this type are neither scientific nor comply to their understanding of scientific methods. It is their belief and it is understandable. The unfortunate part of that discussion is the criticism and value judgment bordering on mockery against those who are seeking information and/or supporting a theory. The negative posts really do not help unless there is a cogent argument or proof to the contrary (I have not seen any). It also exposes the nay-Sayer's level of intelligence (as with most media/social media these days). The worst part of criticisms (albeit, unwittingly) diminish the efforts of a father trying to help his son's aliments. My sympathies and prayers to your son, Michael.

For those of us who have to work with scientific methods every day, correlation is a powerful tool (a.k.a. statistics) to understand root causes and/or phenomena. As previous posts (and papers) have alluded, there are connections between electrical activities in the brain (which are nothing more than a mechanism to initiate biochemical interaction) and electrical/magnetic fields surrounding us. Sensitivities to these electrical or magnetic activities can be explained, scientifically. More importantly, it is different for each one of us. Perhaps, this forum may help elevate the understanding of these symptoms. For those of us who like to speculate (think "outside-the-box"), our "moods" may be related to the sun - who knows. Good luck.

Edited by MonsterMosh
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2020 at 9:42 AM, MonsterMosh said:

They did not keep a log of solar activities in the past to re-evaluate - due to "scientific" reasons (or lack of, as some of the posts have indicated)

There is a well kept log of solar activity online and even on this website, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Besides that, people generally live far away from direct influence from geomagnetic disturbances. You could easily confirm a direct correlation at any time, and for the greater good share your findings with us. So far, accounts of such a correlation are about as credible as accounts of alien abductions, or sasquatch encounters. You can change the perception of your niece's plight with tools currently available to you, which in turn would aid medical research - that would be much greater in terms of a productive approach than signal boosting seemingly outlandish and superstitious connections between two unambiguous events.

• Like 1

Hi again! 

Had to Come and read posts. Been a while. 

If someone hasn't studied this area at all it is understandable Hard to believe.

Fortunately-- it is not a case of belief - this Is a Hard fact. 

It is in our body's sells where these s.c. interruptions happen. 

We are on a very large magnet... Earth. Everythin in our solarsystem is magnetically connected. 

When ever There is meaningful allignements with planets which cause fe. earthquakes, it also affects Earth... And tiny things on it, called humans. 

And on a solarstorm which causes geofluctuation on a larger scale (fe. commonly known to cause power outages etc)

- This HUGE magnet under every single tiny people, with tiny tiny fe -cells, in our tiny tiny tiny bloodvessels..

There happens this well-known physical phenomenom:

Iron sells in our body (blood) are in a continuous interaction with this Huge magnet. Which stears our Fe+ in our blood-stream. Of course. 

There is actually a lot of information about this and it is actually very simle thing to understand that why people can feel causes of this interaction and therefore also symptoms.

This Is sooooo basic magnetology and biology and physics that There is no need to "believe" in anything. It just takes a little big of motivation and interest to search this 🙂

Hope everyone feels good and has a nice becoming fall 🙏❤️🙌

Sani

On 8/30/2020 at 7:48 AM, Xormis said:

I am a physician and I am a bit skeptical.  Because geomagnetic changes are so minute compared to every day magnetic field that are near us.  Cars, electronics, regular magnets, high voltage power all generate electric fields much stronger because we are closer.  If there is really a link, then how is MRIs safe for patients with epilepsy?  Conversely, if you go into a Faraday cage you should then be able to fully dissociate from said geomagnetic changes?  I think there could be a biase on drawing correlation if you only examine 2 parameters.

You should really concider the scales. 

Car is so small, everything man-made is so small.  There is no contest. 

Cars, electronics, regular magnets, high voltage power all generate electric fields much stronger because we are closer..

That U said. Yes. True. They are close. And the BIG magnet is under our feet. Earth. 

Which is continuously connected magnetically to sun - and solar-system in General. 

There is no contest There. 

Magnetic fields on Earth - and magnetic fluctuations and Huge changes on a bigger scale. 

Mri is safe. Because it is so small dose If U compare it to the bigger scale. 

I think it is a little bit funny that people really do not get that we are ON a Huge Magnet - which is connected to Humangous magnetic system. 

I hope to Live to see the day that this Is common knowledge. 

Ten years ago people said that They do not believe in climate-change. And Now we are fighting against it. 

This will be more known in the future and I might say that we might see in our living days sooner or later that in weather reports There will be sun-weather also in them. 

Dont hold your breath But it will be like that in the future. Hope to get to see it. 

Y'all know that the magnetic power of the Earth is about the strenght of a microwave oven, right?

Which means a forcefield about the strenght of a cheap electro-magnet is sufficient to shelter you from the sun's magnetic particle.

If you never found yourself sick near a microwave oven, you might want to reconsider your causality.

Because correlation =/= causality.

Infering causality from correlation is a fallacy, unless it comes with significant proof. And as always, the burden of proof falls on the one doing the hypothesis.

• Like 1