Does Solar & Geomagnetic Activity Affect Health?

tailzzz24

Well after reading all these posts, I wonder if I am broken somehow.  Way back in the day I used to get a bit anxious and not feel great plus disturbed sleep during geomagnetic storms.  Nowadays, I feel energized.  When the Kp index is low (ie, 1 to 3), I feel flat, with not much energy and a general feeling of being low.  However when things start ramping up, like a Kp 4 or 5 I feel great, alert, happy and full of life, almost to the point I look forward to the next storm.  Strange? What does this mean?  Am I broken somehow?

The natural impulse frequency spectrum of the atmosphere and its biological effectiveness

In Germany, there has been a lot of research on this topic. The connection between natural electromagnetic fields and biology has been known since the late 1950s. These natural electromagnetic fields include the Schumann-resonances and the Sferics. Both are generated by atmospheric processes and are reflected at the ionosphere as by a mirror.

In this context, Professor Wever of the Max Planck Institute in Munich demonstrated a direct connection between these ELF frequencies (Extremely Low Frequency) and the human EEG, which also operates within this frequency spectrum. Since the ionosphere is ionized by the solar wind, different solar intensities can directly influence the properties of this mirror and thus also the frequency behavior of the natural electromagnetic ELF impulses to our brain and nervous system (ANS).

Sferics: are natural atmospheric high-frequency discharges resulting from meteorological processes. They do not occur as a constant signal but rather as pulses. The pulse frequency is within the so-called ELF spectrum (Extremely Low Frequency). Sferics are part of the electromagnetic “voice” of nature, which also includes other frequencies such as those of the Schumann resonances.

Schumann resonances: are extremely low-frequency (ELF) electromagnetic long waves that radiate as standing waves reflected between the ionosphere and the earth's surface within the cavity resonator of the atmosphere. They are fed by lightning discharges. Their frequencies are mathematically related to the circumference of the earth.

Links:

https://www.biologicalmedicineinstitute.com/post/2019/09/20/schumann-resonances-and-their-effect-on-human-bioregulation

Influence on the circadian rhythm: http://sleep.nutesla.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/wever-1973.pdf

Sferics impulses (made audible): https://youtu.be/l7iMdSJ67FE

The origin of Sferics and Schumann waves in nature: https://youtu.be/q9s8jYlagXc

Schumann resonances live data: https://tinyurl.com/y9jglqbz

The natural impulse frequency spectrum of the atmosphere and its biological effectiveness:
https://www.diagnose-funk.org/download.php?field=filename_1&id=4698&class=SitePageElement

Blessings,
Beere

Edited by Beere

Yep, I feel it all the time, every time! Believe me, when you suffer long enough, when you can't get answers or treatment from the experts in the Western medical field, and you hit rock bottom, you start looking for the answers yourself. And, believe me, that search on your own, opens your mind, and when your mind opens to all possibilities and dots start connecting,   what once was unexplainable by mainstream doctoral science finally starts making a whole lot of sense! Keep in mind, part of both mainstream medicine pain management and headache management programs is keeping a pain journal; journaling everything that one feels (pain and mental scales), does, and eats every day, sleep patterns, plus, the weather. Yes, the atmospheric weather, and it is in fact well-documented mainstream science that barometric pressure affects both arthritis and headaches. It is also well-documented in mainstream science that the amount of sunshine one receives affects the immune system, the skeletal system, and mental health. So, is it really that far-fetched then, to consider that space weather can have similar effects? I have now been able to track that active sun spots and coronal hole movements do affect me physically. I've even started paying attention to the lunar cycles and the Schumann resonance, which yep, affect me as well physically and mentally. Actually, I find it all rather exciting and fascinating to know that we Earthly Humans can be so attuned to our glorious Sphere of Life that we can be affected by the energies both within her and that which effect her cosmically (and remember, it is also well-known and scientifically documented that animals know beforehand when an earthquake is about to hit!)! I think that all of us humans should always want to learn and expand, to always want to openly discuss and communicate, to bounce ideas off of each other and be willing to push the envelope, to always be open to exploring all possibilities; I whole-heartedly believe that is the beautiful future of our science!

On 1/5/2019 at 7:27 AM, Michael gimmeson said:

Hi, my son has epilepsy and his seizures are triggered by geomagnetic events. 

I doubt this is the trigger. I doubt it because geomagnetic events are happening every moment. Have you compared the seizure frequency to other events in your nearby environment? 

Also, pattern similarity doesn't equal causality. 

Edited by Archmonoth

Despite this being a revived topic, I should note that there is no way to pragmatically manipulate the electromagnetic field of Earth in order to maintain some sort of equilibrium. If some of you really want this to explain your health issues, you're signing them off as that which you cannot fix or manage. You're giving yourself an excuse to act helpless, rather than actually doing something good for yourself.

And what do you do when someone points this out to you? You might play the role of victim, and either dismiss or attack that person for "not believing" or being a "naysayer" - there's simply no conspiracy to be found here. It's common sense that you are in charge of your own health, and also common sense that when you pass the buck to a phenomenon you have no chance of controlling, you're shrugging off your personal responsibility(to stay in good health).

Some refer to this as "learned helplessness" or some variants of that. It's a real issue with a broad demographic of those affected. It's really just an excuse to pout whenever someone gives you advice, or offers a provably correct alternative set of logic or information. You might do this so that you can continue to make irrational choices and not have to feel responsible for the outcomes/consequences. In this case, it's like a weird cross between narcissism/self-centeredness, and masochism. You feel that this logic for why you don't "feel good", which hardly holds up your explanation to begin with, is without fault, and is even benevolent enough to be immune to valid criticism. Then, there's your implied suffering, which reinforces your position(and therefore, irrational belief).

It doesn't help that you feel personally attached to this explanation for being or feeling unwell, as of course, any opposition to your reasoning is analogous to opposition to your wellness - in your mind, of course, but in reality, people who push-back against these faux-diagnoses are doing so knowing that there is nothing beneficial to be found in believing pseudo-science. Ultimately, the people who believe their issues are the result of some infallible phenomenon - especially before exploring all the reasonable and official diagnoses - are the most difficult type of people to help(or, imo, be friends with). Perhaps then, that is why you haven't gotten the emotional support you would expect? Maybe, you're too stubborn and delusional at this point to even think about the possibility of your explanation as fiction?

I get it, you're probably also suffering with depression, and that could be why you've "built up walls" to prevent interfacing this idea with others who may, in your mind, "corrupt" or "take control". The bad part about those walls, however, is that, while it prevents the outside from coming in, it also traps you inside. At some point, you will need to take charge of your own life, and that starts by searching for honest answers, instead of this mystical mojo.

• Like 1

Transduction of the Geomagnetic Field as Evidenced from alpha-Band Activity in the Human Brain

Enclosed are three studies which also attribute a magnetic sense to humans (This could rehabilitate a lot of people).

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-29766-z

https://www.eneuro.org/content/6/2/ENEURO.0483-18.2019

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/06/maverick-scientist-thinks-he-has-discovered-magnetic-sixth-sense-humans

Human biosensor for polarized light:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haidinger%27s_brush

Blessings,
Beere

9 hours ago, Beere said:

Transduction of the Geomagnetic Field as Evidenced from alpha-Band Activity in the Human Brain

Enclosed are three studies which also attribute a magnetic sense to humans (This could rehabilitate a lot of people).

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-29766-z

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/06/maverick-scientist-thinks-he-has-discovered-magnetic-sixth-sense-humans

Human biosensor for polarized light:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haidinger%27s_brush

Blessings,
Beere

The ol' drive by linking! No conversation...

Think of it this way.

If something works in a practical way, like say.... crystal energy. Has it been weaponized? No? Then its probably exaggerated. No one is using giant quartz or amethyst other than for wrist watches or decorations. Same goes with other kinds new-age conclusions. Lets clear all of North Korea's chakras with giant amethysts!

Has humanity weaponized alpha-band activity, magnetic distortion, no?

These ideas are probably exaggerated, and have yet to undergo practical application. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archmonoth said:

crystal energy

It can be easily found and described, that such crystals are, in fact, inert. Their primary characteristics, apart from geometry, are that they are actually quite the opposite of what people have glamorized them to be. Such is the way of pseudo-scientists, astrologists, hippies, etc.. I always found this to be the ultimate simpleton-level irony.

11 hours ago, Beere said:

You know, that doesn't at all look to me like it says "Geomagnetic Fluctuations Proven to be Linked to Mental or Physical Health". Just because something exists and has a flavor of science to it, doesn't mean it is the reason for your personal problems. 

11 hours ago, Beere said:

Sensing something is not necessarily being physically affected by it. We can see, aka sense, stars in the night sky, but those to us are simply 1-dimensional objects. Obviously, science has shown them to be 3-dimensional, but that is the difference between sensing, and using instruments and math to analyze things. Sensory input is elementary - it tells us information about color, size, shape, taste, texture, so on and so forth. These stimuli alone are not what cause pathological effects on organisms i.e. seeing a supernova isn't what kills you, it's the radiation leaking down to the surface that does. So, if you would really emphasize sense of magnetism, keep that in mind.

We're not made of magnetic material(primarily, anyways), but there are molecules and atoms inside of our bodies which may respond to a strong enough field. This response, however, does not determine the firing of neurons, the regulation of hormones, or really any essential or useful function in our bodies. That is something which has never been proven - all that has been "proven" is that there is a way for organisms to detect certain features of magnetism(and even then, completely imperceivably to the organism).

I should note that this Beere character has stonewalled my previous comment, which is a "bullying" or "troll" tactic in this instance. You wish to not discuss the greater issue of ignoring personal responsibility by passing the buck to this phenomenon - you're certainly free to do this, but don't think a few links do all the talking - that's not how adults conversate. 

Edited by Christopher S.
Minor correction
  • Like 1

I relate my posts to the title of the topic and not as a personal response to the prefixed posts? Nevertheless, I am very surprised about what emotional reactions the publication of topic-related links trigger in some users?

Since this is a scientific forum and not Facebook, I had expected a certain openness to insights that may not yet be available to the individual. Especially because here are some people who are obviously in need to speak.

In addition, my published links include scientific material which was partly published in very renowned journals and databases and not, as criticized here, "pseudoscience"? I would therefore ask you to read the linked articles carefully before writing a quick and denouncing comment, in order not to make yourself untrustworthy.

But now back to the actual topic:

Perception and biological receptors are completely individual. About 5% of the population is officially called "highly sensitive". At least here in Germany. These people, whose spectrum of perception is a bit larger than that of the average human being, are done a great injustice if they are pressed into a norm that does not exist in biology.

Even if the psychological component, mentioned in some posts, is certainly not insignificant, it does not apply in all cases as the main explanation and does not do justice to the complexity of this topic, and thus to many of those affected. On the contrary. Those who are already suffering from despair feel even more excluded.

Paradoxically, however, we obviously have no problem acknowledging certain, from our perspective, "enhanced" but natural perceptual organs and interactions with the magnetic and electromagnetic world, within the mammalian animal world.

All the more, research results such as those of the Kirschvink study (2019) make us sit up and take notice, which could show very clear neuronal responses under certain conditions, to an individual extent, also in humans: "Transduction of the Geomagnetic Field as Evidenced from alpha-Band Activity in the Human Brain".

From a scientific perspective it seems to be inevitable to bring more and more light into this darkness which is obviously still present.

However, if we generally do not have this intention and only want to hang on to the old, we do not need to lead any further discussions here.

Don’t want to be a party pooper but still that research doesn’t have hard evidence that there is a true correlation. Many uncertainties and errors and no real comparison between the two.

plus, if there was a true relation between illnesses and geomagnetic disturbances. You would have seen many illnesses in the cities and towns below the Van Allen belt where the magnetic field lines of the Earth enter our atmosphere and where some of the solar particles are injected. And that I haven’t seen in any research ;)  Despite all the intense Aurora people aren’t More I’ll than other places ;) 

plus the odds for getting ill is higher by meeting other people then the chance of getting ill from something from outer space 😝

what I do believe is that there might be a relation between neutrinos (solar or cosmic) and health issues as these particles go through anything (because they don’t have mass, but sometimes the do) with billions and billions per seconds.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Beere said:

Related to the headline topic, here is another very interesting research paper::

"MEDICAL PROBLEMS ARISING FROM SOLAR STORMS"

He does not include raw data in the paper and confidence intervals for the statistics are missing, which makes it difficult to verify his these, or estimate the significance of his findings.

Anyway, here are some similarly entertaining correlations.

https://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, bearnard1609 said:

I am pretty sure that it does. Solar activity has an affect on human health the same it has an affect on technology we have in space and on Earth. That is why space weather must be forecasted and we need to be prepared for it.

The difference between how technology is affected in SPACE and on EARTH are very different. Do you think there is a difference?

What sort of preparation can you do?  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bearnard1609 said:

I am pretty sure that it does. Solar activity has an affect on human health the same it has an affect on technology we have in space and on Earth. That is why space weather must be forecasted and we need to be prepared for it.

Of course the sun / magnetism affects your health. Ask anyone who got skin cancer, .. We are all just energy, frequency, and vibration after all. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kundalini said:

Of course the sun / magnetism affects your health. Ask anyone who got skin cancer, .. We are all just energy, frequency, and vibration after all. 

Do you think you get skin cancer at the same rate in SPACE?

Your vague platitude doesn't account for the system differences between SPACE and EARTH. 

On 3/7/2021 at 3:53 AM, Beere said:

Paradoxically, however, we obviously have no problem acknowledging certain, from our perspective, "enhanced" but natural perceptual organs and interactions with the magnetic and electromagnetic world, within the mammalian animal world.

All the more, research results such as those of the Kirschvink study (2019) make us sit up and take notice, which could show very clear neuronal responses under certain conditions, to an individual extent, also in humans: "Transduction of the Geomagnetic Field as Evidenced from alpha-Band Activity in the Human Brain".

We have machines which can sense all of these things, without a small % of human population. We don't need human sensory evidence, we have devices which can measure without bias. 

My critique of your perception is you seem unable to see the difference between EARTH and SPACE environments. 

Do you think there is a difference?

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply, actually no - I do not believe the sun causes skin cancer at all. I just didn't want to get too into it.. I think UV and the sun can cure alot of things. And in actuality, it's the things that we are putting on our skin to 'prevent cancer' and in our bodies, is actually the culprit.

Many research papers show in their observations an existing interaction between static magnetic or weak extremely low frequency electromagnetic fields (ELF). ELF occur in nature by atmospheric processes (Schumann resonances, Sferics). Some days ago I had already posted many details about these frequencies.

That certain ELF frequencies interact with cell chemistry is without controversy. However, it is not yet finally clarified how this happens in detail. Attached is an interdisciplinary Russian research work from 2010 which could provide some answers:

"Mechanisms of Geomagnetic Field Influence on Gene Expression Using Influenza as a Model System: Basics of Physical Epidemiology"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2872305/

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kundalini said:

Thanks for the reply, actually no - I do not believe the sun causes skin cancer at all. I just didn't want to get too into it.. I think UV and the sun can cure alot of things. And in actuality, it's the things that we are putting on our skin to 'prevent cancer' and in our bodies, is actually the culprit.

Here is a brief wiki on the affects of space environment on humans: Effect of spaceflight on the human body - Wikipedia

From the link:  "In 2013 NASA published a study that found changes to the eyes and eyesight of monkeys with spaceflights longer than 6 months. Noted changes included a flattening of the eyeball and changes to the retina. Space traveler's eye-sight can become blurry after too much time in space. Another effect is known as cosmic ray visual phenomena."

Cosmic Ray Phenomena is a type of hallucination, due to the difference between the EARTH environment and the SPACE environment. The manner of hallucination is based on phosphenes; disruptions in your retina. 

Whatever mundane culprit you think is responsible, SPACE has considerably more energy, radiation, etc.. We have this thing called an ATMOSPHERE and a MAGNETIC FIELD, both of which prevent SPACE hazards from reaching EARTH.

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1

I think it's fair to bookend this convo instead of smashing your head against a brick wall, by simply saying "You're entitled to believe all of what you just said, even though I disagree with it".

I say this because it appears that you fine people are just talking at each other instead of really having a dialogue. Anyone coming into this thread with confirmation bias isn't going to leave convinced to see things the other way, and anyone trying to explain the logical faults of this is just wasting their time. I've had to "bite my tongue" so to speak several times after reading the recent commentary, partially because of the aforementioned confirmation bias of those I'd be addressing, and also because the convo itself has devolved quite a bit.

The gist of what I think about this entire topic, is the same way I feel about any sort of misinformation: Without evidence, it's just speculation. Speculation using flawed information is spreading misconceptions and misinformation. Spreading either of those things should be the #1 thing to avoid doing when pushing data/facts on the internet.

On 3/10/2021 at 6:31 PM, Archmonoth said:

The difference between how technology is affected in SPACE and on EARTH are very different. Do you think there is a difference?

What sort of preparation can you do?  

Off course there is a huge difference. But still, as far as you may probably know, solar activity has an affect on Earth, that is why we have special technology that forecast solar activity and scientist keep on studying this solar activity to prevent us from its` affect somehow.

On 3/16/2021 at 2:13 AM, bearnard1609 said:

Off course there is a huge difference. But still, as far as you may probably know, solar activity has an affect on Earth, that is why we have special technology that forecast solar activity and scientist keep on studying this solar activity to prevent us from its` affect somehow.

Special technology? Its regular technology, the same logic your cell phone was created, its not special. 

Scientist and their technology don't PREVENT anything from affecting us, the MAGNETIC FIELD and the ATMOSPHERE do. They are the physical barrier which the prevent solar particles from affecting us in the SAME way. The environment is different so the affect is different. 

The way in which we are affected is based on magnitude or a spectrum, not yes/no.

However, the affect is reduced to such a degree, we might be considered a jellyfish in space, since the environment is so inhospitable to human beings.

On 3/17/2021 at 5:08 PM, Christopher S. said:

Special as in specialized - you know, like purpose-built. 

Compared to non-purpose built? Building anything infers purpose, but I digress, and it is pedantic. I don't mind drilling on loosely defined terms. 

Sure specialized, and this specialization doesn't prevent the affect somehow, as bearnard1609 suggests. There is a common glamour (I see) when talking about space or technology, like it is a metaphysical belief, rather than considering it different. Those who can not tolerate the strange will glamourize the obvious. 

Edited by Archmonoth