Geomagnetic Storm June 28 2024

Cokelley

11 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Well, I took a look at everything and this seems to just be a normal CH with a SIR arrival. It first swept through ACE at 09:09Z and DSCOVR at 09:22Z. There doesn't look to be any CME involved with this.

All the way to a G3 warning

Looking back at the imagery there seems to have been a small eruption almost right in the middle of the disc around 22-23Z on June 25; I would suspect that that's the culprit, but it's hard to make anything out in in the LASCO imagery, although I think I do see some faint ejecta shortly following it on C2.

Looking at it I also notice that the filament that erupted earlier that day was a lot further in on the disc than I thought previously, I guess I never looked that closely at it.

The first one I mentioned is the one Calder refers to here. Definitely looks like some eruption of sorts.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Looking back at the imagery there seems to have been a small eruption almost right in the middle of the disc around 22-23Z on June 25; I would suspect that that's the culprit, but it's hard to make anything out in in the LASCO imagery, although I think I do see some faint ejecta shortly following it on C2.

The problem is the CME must have come from the eastern disk if this was a CME. ACE is to our east, DSOVER is to our west, SA is well out west with no arrival. I don't trust SOHO's data as much with this, but it has a CIR to HSS transition rather than any sort of shock arrival.

Pretty much looking at all of the data, a CME arrival seems to be ruled out.

13 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Esto no tiene sentido para mí. ¿Tienes alguna explicación?

BZ es golpeado hacia el norte.

Imagen: dbc9b68bbc9cf5ad9afcec6d67250711.png

Estoy muy, muy confundida. Si alguien me lo puede explicar se lo agradecería mucho.

I think it's because of the same density

46 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

El problema es que el CME debe haber venido del disco oriental si se trata de un CME . ACE está al este, DSOVER está al oeste, SA está muy al oeste y no hay llegada. No confío tanto en los datos de SOHO en este caso, pero tiene una transición de CIR a HSS en lugar de algún tipo de llegada de choque.

Si analizamos todos los datos, parece descartada la llegada de una CME .

Stereo A doesn't record Impact, I think image.thumb.png.a267d3b35327f2ccf0b155d15c932ffc.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Isatsuki San said:

I think it's because of the same density

Stereo A doesn't record Impact, I think image.thumb.png.a267d3b35327f2ccf0b155d15c932ffc.png

what do you mean by that? Can you elaborate a bit more so i get the context. :) 

And what do you mean with "same density"? High density like i suspected?

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

But Kp30 shows it for now. i attached a screenshot. 

maybe the high density? im a bit speechless

I would also have suspected the high density as the reason.

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

Looking at it I also notice that the filament that erupted earlier that day was a lot further in on the disc than I thought previously, I guess I never looked that closely at it.

The first one I mentioned is the one Calder refers to here. Definitely looks like some eruption of sorts.

If the current values were really through the CME at 22-23z, shouldn't the filament CME that was further west earlier that day have hit STEREO by now? I haven't seen any impact there yet.

3 minutes ago, Misaka said:

I would also have suspected the high density as the reason.

If the current values were really through the CME at 22-23z, shouldn't the filament CME that was further west earlier that day have hit STEREO by now? I haven't seen any impact there yet.

image.png.439cfdf6353b8f8a1075b10fa0a035d5.pngThis model says it would hit Stereo A first

• Like 1

Just now, MinYoongi said:

Yeah but it still makes no sense time wise. maybe im missing something. it makes no sense to me at all, i thought northward BZ will hinder further escalation?

The delay in travel might actually be closer to 40 minutes. The Bz went positive around 13:20Z, which would be right at the start of that 14:00-14:30Z time frame.