GOES-U Launch

Misaka

4 minutes ago, Misaka said:

The new GOES satellite GOES-U will be launched in about 30 minutes.
Also on board new coronagraph that will replace LASCO.

Livestream of the launch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4hh_fl7qvk

So exited for the new instruments. Thanks for sharing the link Misaka. I'll enjoy it now 😍☝️ 

22 minutes ago, chronical said:

Is the other name for GOES-U GOES-19?

Yep; from the mission overview:

GOES-U will be renamed GOES-19 after it reaches geostationary orbit. Following a successful on-orbit checkout of its instruments and systems, NOAA plans to put GOES-19 into operational service, replacing GOES-16 as GOES East. GOES-19 will work in tandem with GOES-18, NOAA’s GOES West satellite.

It's gone alphabetically from GOES-R as GOES-16, constituting the GOES-R series, which is now complete, and which marks the end of the entire GOES series as a whole. The next series of satellites will apparently be GeoXO.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Justanerd said:

Lots of new toys on board - can’t wait to see how it changes current standards!

The coronagraph is definitely what I'm most excited about, can't wait until we get imagery from it.

There's a brief discussion about it at 5:31:30 in the stream Misaka linked to for anyone interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

The coronagraph is definitely what I'm most excited about, can't wait until we get imagery from it.

There's a brief discussion about it at 5:31:30 in the stream Misaka linked to for anyone interested.

What improvement do you expect? I mean how many years of technology is between both satellites... Could it be such a big step like Hubble and JWST? I'm so excited. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ingolf said:

What improvement do you expect? I mean how many years of technology is between both satellites... Could it be such a big step like Hubble and JWST? I'm so excited. 

The best change is not the imagery itself but the availability. 30 mins instead of 8-48h from Lasco.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1