Current topics v historical topics

Go to solution Solved by Marcel de Bont,

Would it be feasible to establish separate forums for current active regions and solar events and for discussion of historical active regions and solar events?? The solar activity forum is getting cluttered with historical multi-region and multi-event topics that make it difficult to keep up with current active regions and solar activity. My opinion only but obviously people want to discuss historical events - why not make a forum for them to do so??

Edited by Justanerd
Redundancy
  • Like 3

• Solution

Seems to be just one user who has been ratter enthusiastic in creating new topics this weekend. Once the discussions are over these topics will fall away by itself. From the perspective of what is better for the site, it is better to have fewer forums which are all pretty active rather than multiple forums with little activity and a spread out community. It is not an issue at the moment which justifies the creation of a new forum.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2024 at 5:28 PM, Justanerd said:

Would it be feasible to establish separate forums for current active regions and solar events and for discussion of historical active regions and solar events?? The solar activity forum is getting cluttered with historical multi-region and multi-event topics that make it difficult to keep up with current active regions and solar activity. My opinion only but obviously people want to discuss historical events - why not make a forum for them to do so??

Maybe I interpret the forums wrong, my understanding is:

Solar activity: talking about current situation on the sun

Geomagnetic activity : current situation at earth 

Other: everything else including historical discussions, theories etc. 

Am I wrong? 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Ingolf said:

Maybe I interpret the forums wrong, my understanding is:

Solar activity: talking about current situation on the sun

Geomagnetic activity : current situation at earth 

Other: everything else including historical discussions, theories etc. 

Am I wrong? 

Apparently we are both wrong because that was my understanding as well and I was wrong 🤷🤷

Edited by Justanerd
Clarity
  • Like 1

It's not specified anywhere that the solar activity or geomagnetic activity forums are not to be used for discussions about historical events? What if someone starts posting in let's say the topic about AR 3664  in a year from now? It would be a historical discussion. Would it have to be moved to the Other forum then?

Anyway, it seems the discussion about that AR5395 died down anyway and all the recent discussions are about current ARs and events. I did move the topic about the old regions and flares being added to the database to the support forum as its more of a technical site related question than about solar activity.