Loganas

Op 20/6/2024 om 17:38, Sunlive123 zei:

Take a deep breathe. You type a lot in caps lol. This is fun for sure though 

long lasting flare might be the cause of slightly elevated c level 

SDO AIA 131

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Parabolic said:

@Philalethes @Ingolf

Surge and Jet do look the same but I think Surge pertains more to prominence/filaments (I think you mention cooler plasma) where Jets normally occur near active regions or emerging flux. Jets are also a result of magnetic reconnection and usually produce type iii radio bursts (I made a butterfly diagram for the fun of it but can't remember where I saved it so please correct me if I'm wrong).

I posted a reply to this here, in case anyone else (including @Ingolf) is interested in the topic of jets and surges, so as to not get too far off topic; seemed like a fitting thread for it.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Yeah, I'm fairly sure at this point that "protuberance" is just a different term for prominence, which is the same thing as a filament, just viewed over the limb so that you can see it rise above the surface.

I don't know of any single glossary that covers every term that is typically encountered, but this one is fairly good; however, adding to the confusion, the only mention of "jet" there is "surge", which is essentially the same but for cooler plasma (surrounding the jet) that reaches up into the chromosphere, thus also known as a "chromospheric jet", possibly due to being associated with larger jets; you'll notice that there are often several different terms for the same or closely related phenomena, usually based on descriptions of what they look like and/or how they relate to each other in various ways. As we can e.g. read here:

That's another common theme in a lot of Solar activity, similar or same phenomena just on different scales. There's also a brief mention of how "surge" was the original term for any jet (possibly because the largest jets were the most noticeable), which might explain the glossary I linked to above:

For more on how they are generally classified today I'd see section 2. a), "Morphology and classification", which goes over both historical classification (which might explain many ways terms are still used today) and more contemporary classification from recent observations with better tools.

You added really some more confusion to the confusion. But interesting, it took me a while to read it. I learned a lot today, thank you for this and taking the time to answer in such a detail. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saturnitis said:

Edit: Looks to be from 3719 on the other limb of the sun

Where can we see that? I still don't have the right reflexes on the tools to use

Edited by Herbrax

5 minutes ago, Herbrax said:

Where can we see that? I still don't have the right reflexes on the tools to use

It sometimes takes some time to update, but you can see where the flare is located wherever there’s a bright spot (shows up in shorter wavelengths best)IMG_8398.thumb.jpeg.08adba6c56c16e69b527fdbbcd5cfb6d.jpeg

Edited by Saturnitis
  • Like 2

You were a bit faster than me haha I was refreshing SDO while checking Helioviewer x) Too bad it's not 3712/13 ! I'm cheering for this group but it's been disappointing

• Like 1

Just now, Yani said:

It seems like both 3712 and 3719 are flairing at the same time? Leading the M5 reading? 

Region 3712 possibly reached high C-Class or low M-Class. It is easy to tell 3719 packed the punch with an impulsive flare.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Sagatha said:

Assuming the current flare is coming from this region, what's so special about the limb?

Why no flares at the front? Are we not worthy?

You have flare of course !  And last night very long flare ! Last day there was a shock wave ! 

https://sdowww.lmsal.com/sdomedia/ssw/media/ssw/ssw_client/data/ssw_service_240621_025244_4428/www/EDS_FlareDetective-TriggerModule_20240620T070947-20240621T093647_AIA_211_XCEN652.8YCEN-422.4_ssw_cutout_20240620_070947_AIA_211__20240620_070945_m.mp4

We can watch the long flare here

http://spaceweather.gmu.edu/seeds/dailymkmovie.php?cme=20240621&r

ssw_cutout_211_context_full.thumb.gif.5fe6d3a2f86ed23c026653335d8fb105.gif

Edited by Sunlive123
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

It is almost

exactly 20 years old these days; you can find it here (SWL also has a dedicated page to it here).

22 minutes ago, Arman Sargsyan said:

There is an interesting situation, we're not seeing any B-class solar flares in graphs, there is already been a month or so.

Thank you. Also, is there any explanations about this. Because I didn't found any B category this and previous month

Edited by Arman Sargsyan

6 minuten geleden, Arman Sargsyan zei:

Thank you. Also, is there any explanations about this. Because I didn't found any B category this and previous month

Let's not stray too far off topic folks but during solar maximum it isn't strange to not dip in the B-class X-ray flux if there are many active sunspot regions? That is what you're asking?  We also need to remember the recalibration of the GOES X-ray data so C1 today used to be like B7 or B8 last SC.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arman Sargsyan said:

There is an interesting situation, we're not seeing any B-class solar flares in graphs, there is already been a month or so.

We only record flares that are above what might be called the baseline solar flux level.  Last month our “ baseline stayed above M class levels for at least twelve full hours if I remember correctly.  Reminding me of Aug 4 1972 when allegedly we were above the X level for all of Russia at that time.  Pretty amazing really.   And off-topic 😇

Edited by hamateur 1953
Noted
  • Like 1

IMG_9792.jpeg.b25e143104449a3b6f5a574516a5ee6c.jpegM 1.25 flare from this region - likely partially occluded as the region is mostly on and beyond the western limb…

interestingly, ar3719 flared nearly simultaneously with ar3712. There is a triple M peak showing on the 2-hour data between 1130 and 1200 UTC 

Edited by Justanerd
Description

I wonder if the current flare is from this region ? 

41 minutes ago, Justanerd said:

IMG_9792.jpeg.b25e143104449a3b6f5a574516a5ee6c.jpegM 1.25 flare from this region - likely partially occluded as the region is mostly on and beyond the western limb…

interestingly, ar3719 flared nearly simultaneously with ar3712. There is a triple M peak showing on the 2-hour data between 1130 and 1200 UTC