AR 3679

Posted (edited)

Long duration flare peaking at M2.59.

Kind of funny that after the slew of X flares we had earlier this month there isn't even a topic for this region yet as it closes in on the Western limb and has been β-γ-δ and popping off several M flares for a few days now. lol

Edited by cgrant26
  • Haha 1

I've been considering making this myself, but talked myself out of it because one of the rules is, "when it comes back around, make a new topic dont revive the old," lol

This and 3683 became active right when leaving us, quite rude. 

43 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

I just attribute it to us being spoiled and and looking down our collective noses at lowly M flares. 😄

🤣🤣ain’t that the truth!  As it approaches the west limb too.  X flaring probably in the cards.  Unless I am mistaken this region seems to be building up for an X. 

5 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

🤣🤣ain’t that the truth!  As it approaches the west limb too.  X flaring probably in the cards.  Unless I am mistaken this region seems to be building up for an X. 

Wholly agree lol.  Every consecutive flare is longer in duration or has a stronger peak. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

I just attribute it to us being spoiled and and looking down our collective noses at lowly M flares. 😄

I've seen what happens when the Sun is utterly quiet. Some folks will get desperate enough to discuss anything and everything mundane; it's a simple matter of how much there is to review, for the time being. If you're already poised to have a focused discussion on the same level as the one around 3664, there couldn't possibly be enough time since then to truly grasp what occurred over the course of the spot's traversal. Also, it gives very little value to "discuss" every single flare and sunspot, so unless there is a question, I am perfectly 100% okay with sunspots not getting their own thread when there isn't a pertinent or meaningful discussion around it. It is borderline "posting just to post" and I hope it isn't in some vain to game-ify the forum ranks/points.

3 hours ago, Balarius said:

The solar X-ray average has steadily been increasing the past 3 days.  All associated with 3679?  3685 has been almost entirely inactive in that time frame. 

Yes, it certainly has .  F10.7 has dropped a bit at 17:00 utc to 180 and may drop for a few more days until whatever is left of 3664 shows up. 

A steadily rising background flux is always good news to us here   That and huge loops on the limb of hope  👍I still cannot believe last weeks luck in Washington State either  Great wx and Bz   😺😎

2 hours ago, TheRealGenesis said:

У меня такое чувство в животе, что к тому времени, как он развернется, этот будет настоящим монстром.

I don't think he's going to turn into a monster, my friend, and certainly not in this passage on the side of the sun facing us. My guess is that its power is mostly in the M class and maybe a few not-too-high X-class. Shall we see? It will be somewhere around June 11-12. Have a nice day, dear friend. 🙏😊

48 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

A steadily rising background flux is always good news to us here   That and huge loops on the limb of hope  👍I still cannot believe last weeks luck in Washington State either  Great wx and Bz   😺😎

8 minutes ago, Maitreya said:

I don't think he's going to turn into a monster, my friend, and certainly not in this passage on the side of the sun facing us. My guess is that its power is mostly in the M class and maybe a few not-too-high X-class. Shall we see? It will be somewhere around June 11-12. Have a nice day, dear friend. 🙏😊

im a bit confused, is this now about this region (topic) or about the incoming (returning) regions? Excuse my confusion, i had a long week 😅

27 minutes ago, Maitreya said:

My dear friend from Russia thank you for this wonderful insight. I am hoping for the best as I am always optimistic. Let’s hope for some brilliant light shows! 

42 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

я немного запутался, это сейчас об этом регионе (теме) или о входящих (возвращающихся) регионах? Извините за путаницу, у меня была долгая неделя 😅

Greetings, dear friend. We were just discussing 3664, which made a lot of noise at the beginning of May, and which should soon return to our line of sight. It's good to see you, my friend.🙏🙏

37 minutes ago, TheRealGenesis said:

Мой дорогой друг из России, спасибо тебе за это замечательное понимание. Я надеюсь на лучшее, поскольку я всегда оптимистичен. Будем надеяться на несколько блестящих световых шоу!

Yes, my friend, I see we are all a little bored by the sight of the "dormant" Sun... The show must go on!😊

10 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Looks like it is giving us another goodbye kiss.  M1.38. 

I think it was way more than 1.38 but it's already too far behind the limb. SDO AIA 131 picture was too bright for 1.38 in my opinion. What do you think? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ingolf said:

I think it was way more than 1.38 but it's already too far behind the limb. SDO AIA 131 picture was too bright for 1.38 in my opinion. What do you think? 

Let's see what STIX says about the strength of the flare.

I could really get used to a farside satellite like that. 😄

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Ingolf said:

Nah, it was weak and we still see Its spots on SDO.

M2 at most I'd say

Edited by mozy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ingolf said:

Agreed @Ingolf  It displayed the diffraction spikes that typically we see when M class are at upper levels.  I should add that this is highly subjective on my part alone and if anyone here has contradictory information, please speak up.  Or forever be magnetically caged. 🤣

Edited by hamateur 1953
Solicited contrary information.
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Misaka said:

Let's see what STIX says about the strength of the flare.

I could really get used to a farside satellite like that. 😄

Amen. The backside X from 3664 was evidently over ten. 

On 5/24/2024 at 4:15 AM, TheRealGenesis said:

Just got a feeling in my stomach this one is gonna be a real monster by the time it swings back around. 

One can always hope, but I think you'll find we're usually disappointed.  
Complex sunspots usually do not persist for long.

• Like 1