May 2024 Geomagnetic Storms from AR 13664 (2)

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, helios said:

SOHO is also old (even older than ACE) and we still have no replacement for a coronagraph in L1 (as far as I know, or do we?)

GOES U will launch in June with a new coronagraph instrument.

Edited by Misaka
  • Like 3

I don't know how long this sunspot can be flaring though, it's lost several magnetic delta configurations, as well as area and spots, however, the largest delta remains (don't be shocked if this decays on the farside) and consists of a large area of positive polarity flux sandwiched between negative polarity areas (this too won't survive, i believe). So aurora watchers, be ready to be disappointed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Maciej Dunst said:

Any news why stereo a is down? 

Stereo-A is not down. last data received 10 minutes ago. but stereo-a sometimes has hours of not sending data to dump images, do bakeouts, etc.

9 minutes ago, danderson400 said:

I don't know how long this sunspot can be flaring though, it's lost several magnetic delta configurations, as well as area and spots, however, the largest delta remains (don't be shocked if this decays on the farside) and consists of a large area of positive polarity flux sandwiched between negative polarity areas (this too won't survive, i believe). So aurora watchers, be ready to be disappointed.

It's a good thing the upcoming limb looks promising! There's already an almost brand new beta gamma approaching dead center for us and looks to only be getting stronger, plus all that activity from the side we will be getting.

15 minutes ago, Misaka said:

GOES U will launch in June with a new coronagraph instrument.

That's great! Hopefully with better realtime coverage than SOHO/LASCO.

Folks, remember this topic is about the geomagnetic conditions right now and of the past few days/the possible incoming coronal mass ejections. Discussions about sunspots, solar flares and incoming sunspot regions go here.

15 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

With the velocities now reaching near 1000km/s, CME #5 (last CME on the 9th) and CME #6 (first CME on the 10th) likely arrived together at L1 at around /11 18:00Z.

The arrivals are less dense, so it is somewhat not a surprise the IMF strength is fairly low.

does anyone think we reached g5 this weekend because the magnetic field is weaker? Those weren’t the fastest or biggest cme’s/ flares. Or was it more because they all arrived around the same time, which made them more intense?

3 minutes ago, Members only said:

does anyone think we reached g5 this weekend because the magnetic field is weaker?

Extremely unlikely, given how the geomagnetic field is 1% weaker than in 2003.

3 minutes ago, Members only said:

Or was it more because they all arrived around the same time, which made them more intense?

It was a combination of that and extremely consistent negative Bz.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Members only said:

does anyone think we reached g5 this weekend because the magnetic field is weaker? Those weren’t the fastest or biggest cme’s/ flares. Or was it more because they all arrived around the same time, which made them more intense?

I'd agree with the CME speeds varied from high to moderate range, not extreme. The strong southward Bz component of the CMEs and high density was the main factor in reaching G5, with those two very strong IMF shock arrivals.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Very strange divergence of predictions

Yesterday:

NOAA - predicted G5 for today

Russians - predicted the end of event

Today:

NOAA - change predictions to maxG3

Russians - tells about recalculation and massive strike of X5.8 by end of the day (UTC+3)

Also watched about 10 different prediction of ENLIL model, but they are so different each time - that it doesn't make a sense

As for me - expecting arrival of X5.8 in 40-60 hours from the flux, but which part of this CME will touch the Earth have no idea (here was mentioned of some western direction)

However Big Spot Area will return in a 10-15 days)

Edited by Glowman
Typo

8 minuten geleden, sypior213 zei:

it seems that there is something arriving, the speed is up and Bz is fluctuating a lot

This nothing, we are in a fast solar wind regime because of the CMEs that cleared a nice clear path but we are no longer in a magnetic cloud. Nothing on STEREO either just yet. Europe can go to bed early tonight.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

This nothing, we are in a fast solar wind regime because of the CMEs that cleared a nice clear path but we are no longer in a magnetic cloud. Nothing on STEREO either just yet. Europe can go to bed early tonight.

oh, thanks for explaining. I dont know I just feel like there needs to be a good ending to this geomagnetic storm (I know that it doesnt need one because its already great but yeah)

29 minutes ago, Glowman said:

Russians - tells about recalculation and massive strike of X5.8 by end of the day (UTC+3)

When is "end of the day" End of the UTC day? And what do they say KP wise? And who is "russians" reffering to specifically?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Thanks for explaining the radical wind speed differential @Marcel de Bont  It is amazing how the interplanetary medium was so completely swept clean!!! 

2 minuten geleden, sypior213 zei:

oh, thanks for explaining. I dont know I just feel like there needs to be a good ending to this geomagnetic storm (I know that it doesnt need one because its already great but yeah)

I think we had a very good ending already considering it is the first G5 geomagnetic storm since 2003. But it is not out of the question that we get at least 1 more CME impact. It is just that we should not expect too much of it. These kind of storms aren't the norm by any means. This was a storm that goes down in the history books.

51 minutes ago, Members only said:

does anyone think we reached g5 this weekend because the magnetic field is weaker?

Temporarily, but the field is generated by the rotation of the Earth, so after the dip in the field passes, it returns to a certain strength very quickly. 

The magnetic field is not something that gets errored like a shoreline but is constantly generated like ocean waves. 

13 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

This nothing, we are in a fast solar wind regime because of the CMEs that cleared a nice clear path but we are no longer in a magnetic cloud. 

Those jazzed up ions need their beauty rest. :)

I wonder where the hot solar wind temperature since this morning is coming from.

Did the CMEs cleared the path for the coronal hole influence? Or another mechanism from the CME? Because the magnetic cloud from the CME usually has a low temperature.

7 minutes ago, helios said:

I wonder where the hot solar wind temperature since this morning is coming from.

Did the CMEs cleared the path for the coronal hole influence? Or another mechanism from the CME? Because the magnetic cloud from the CME usually has a low temperature.

It is either the X5.89 CME arrival or a HSS behind a prior CME. All we can do is wait and see if another shock arrival comes.