May 2024 Geomagnetic Storms from AR 13664 (2)

1 minute ago, Arctic Anomaly said:

I don't think I've seen any submissions originating from the far northern/polar latitudes during this event.  The vast majority of photo submissions seem to have, of course, come from our mid- and low-latitude observers.  

It may interest readers to know that the "white nights" of a northern summer sky obscure, if not totally eliminate, the possibility of seeing what the mid- to lower-latitude observers have been enjoying the past few nights.  When the real-time forecast would call for visibility in the high/polar latitudes, in reality, we only saw faint glimpses instead of what most of you saw.

But it was a joy to feel the excitement on this web site as many of you experienced (for the first time?) the beauty of these solar / geomagnetic storms.    I enjoyed sharing the aurorae with you "virtually."  

Yes. Absolutely!  My PLE Persistent  Latitude Envy doesn’t extend into our northern summers. However I have it on good authority that Australia got quite a show as it’s winter down under now.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Yes. Absolutely!  My PLE Persistent  Latitude Envy doesn’t extend into our northern summers. However I have it on good authority that Australia got quite a show as it’s winter down under now.  

Can confirm that the last couple of nights have been amazing down here! I've got extreme sleep debt and almost 2500 images to go through 🤣

The auroral glow was allegedly seen as far north as Darwin (lat 12.5S), which is just crazy to me.  

• Cool 1

Suspicious shock in IMF seen in Stereo A?

The shock was minor but looks unusual, may be a CME impact. The impact at Earth *might* be greater (?) idk but cuz the CME is relatively westwards, which means Earth should get a more direct hit compared to SA

23 minutes ago, abc123 said:

The shock was minor but looks unusual, may be a CME impact. The impact at Earth *might* be greater (?) idk but cuz the CME is relatively westwards, which means Earth should get a more direct hit compared to SA

Certainly looks like one.

23 minutes ago, abc123 said:

The other way around. SA should get a more direct hit.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

The other way around. SA should get a more direct hit.

Oh right yeah my bad. I wonder why the ENLIL model has Earth getting higher solar wind speeds than SA.

Edit: Steep increase in low energy protons observed in SA, probably imminent hit of the major CME?

Edited by abc123

Hello all.

I am a newly registered user here. But following since long time. I am located in southern germany. First of all a big big "Thank you" to all, especially those providing interesting insights. I have captured lots of Northern Lights in the past years in Iceland. But never in Germany. I guess it was 1989 when I saw "something burning" in the north. Nowadays I know that it was a CME impact from a strong geomagnetic storm. This forum here helped me a lot to plan my first Aurora pictures in Germany. Together with my wife I was out in the night from may 10 to may 11. Unfortunately we missed the phase of G5 because we left the location at about 23:30 UTZ. Nevertheless we could capture Aurora dancing for us in colours we never saw in Iceland before. After hundreds of shots I tried a panorama, knowing how difficult it could be to stitch it later. What should I say: amazing? impressive? goose bumping? wet eye creating? All! Attached picture even did not see Photoshop. Only a few settings for contrast, white balance, light and clarity. No colour adjustments. I need to take out a little colour...

Sure I will follow here and in other discussions of "spaceweatherlive.com" in the next years. You made my day the night before.

Kind regards, Adrian 

20240511 Aurora Ettensbergensis Panorama reduziert.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 2

10 minutes ago, Zach Allen said:

Temperature just went from 70,000 Kelvin to 271,810 Kelvin in like 15 minutes.

This has gotta be it right? Everything is starting to jump.

Agree!

Just now, MinYoongi said:

Agree!

There might be something behind it as well. Both SA and EPAM see steep increase in low energy protons, so a bigger one might hit in the next few hours (? I guess)

11 hours ago, Ingolf said:

I was too busy with being out in the field, maybe it's already asked? 

Is there already a name for this event? Like Carrington, Halloween, Bastile... 

Why not May the force? MAYbe storm? idk if it need a name with the intensity and their effects but it was more anecdotical than a big storm is it?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Isn’t the G4 forecasted for another combined CME

If SWPCs WSA-ENLIL is accurate, they should've arrived by now. Unless I'm wrong, so please correct me if I am.

Edited by Novarupta

39 minutes ago, Novarupta said:

If SWPCs WSA-ENLIL is accurate, they should've arrived by now. Unless I'm wrong, so please correct me if I am.

Enlil says 12utc, it’s 11utc

Posted (edited)

First of all:
Thank you @all for the incredible amount of good and helpful information here. I really appreciate it!

Yesterday probably fell a little short of expectations, but two days like this ... it would have been too good. Nevertheless, we didn't go away completely empty-handed in Braunschweig / Germany. Even if the camera on my smartphone saw more than I did.

I saw the first display just after sunset. Location 10 kilometers west of Braunschweig. It was even visible to the eye, albeit very faint. I took the first picture at 20:45 UTC:

01-11052024-2045UTC.jpg.55f79c6e707a799acec260f6e53b992f.jpg

The second picture was taken with the wide-angle lens at 20:49 UTC:

02-11052024-2049UTC.jpg.05cbaa89f6b04e5fbc83ed4ba4ef289c.jpg

After that there was a short break. It wasn't until shortly after 21:00 UTC that something was visible again with the camera and very faintly with the naked eye. I took the third picture at 21:23 UTC:

03-11052024-2123UTC.jpg.3b5670296558efdc7867b0f8804c6416.jpg

Shortly afterwards the sky was clear. And that's how it stayed.

Fingers crossed for tonight...

Best regards!
McW

Edited by McWorse
  • Like 3
  • Cool 1

Op 12/5/2024 om 13:19, Ivan Yahnych zei:

Did X5 arrive already and everything is over?

If i understand things right, and please do correct me if i dont, this tweet by halocme suggests that the May 10 CME was more of a glancing blow, meaning its unlikely the X5.8 one from the 11th will reach us. atleast thats how i interpret it.

9 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

If i understand things right, and please do correct me if i dont, this tweet by halocme suggests that the May 10 CME was more of a glancing blow, meaning its unlikely the X5.8 one from the 11th will reach us. atleast thats how i interpret it.

It seems to me that CME X5.8 was quite a direct impact and still did not reach Earth. It's definitely not hitting 9UTC, the speed is too low considering that the path to Earth has been cleared, as someone said earlier

2 minutes ago, Adrian Kobyłecki said:

It seems to me that CME X5.8 was quite a direct impact and still did not reach Earth. It's definitely not hitting 9UTC, the speed is too low considering that the path to Earth has been cleared, as someone said earlier

e755feb62c15888498042eaf4761fbe7.png

maybe this helps you evaluate