May 2024 Geomagnetic Storms from AR 13664 (2)

7 minutes ago, Arman Sargsyan said:

Hey everybody. I'm not really good at this events. But I'm scared a little bit. Because I've already done sliding every page from 2003 and to this month and saw nothing longer than this, a lot of increasing and x storms. Is this potentially dangerous? Like really bad thing, I can't imagine... I'm little worried so I want to know what is happening and when this unordered events will go away? If someone can explain me, I'll be so happy. TY 

Снимок экрана 2024-05-12 224414.png

Снимок экрана 2024-05-12 224442.png

Снимок экрана 2024-05-12 224500.png

Снимок экрана 2024-05-12 224514.png

you witnessed one of the strongest geomagnetic storms since recording began 2 days ago and you were just fine! :) The storm is over by now. you lived through it and did not have 1 disruption of anything. There are threads for your concerns, i advice you go read through them because it really helps :)  The recent X flares are not in a geoeffective position should there be any ejecta.

2 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

We already made it through 2 rounds of Kp9 already. There is nothing to fear.

Exactly! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Arman Sargsyan said:

@Jesterface23 To be honest, I can't sleep already 2 days, and like seriously, I don't know how to calm myself....

You still here on the internet and typing. We could take a stronger impact and still be fine. The best of the geomagnetic storm has already passed anyways.

5 minutes ago, Arman Sargsyan said:

@Glowman But is it really bad, I mean I think you didn't answerd me... what would be in future, is it gonna be okay, or something bad? The question is general... Like is Sun okay? Is graphs will be calm?

The Sun is very ok

The Earth is very ok

The Humanity is not ok, this is a real threat

So recent nearspace events is yet another turn of crazy events like last 10-12 years or so with unknown but rather invisible and not critical consequences 

• Like 2

@Arman Sargsyan

it might not be the best explanation but imagine the our earth is a waterfall, and the sun is a biiig cloud

if it rains, the waterfall has more water, and it looks beautiful! :) everything is just fine! try thinking about it like this, and have a well deserved rest:)

1 minute ago, Glowman said:

The Humanity is not ok, this is a real threat

Was this a sarcasm, or... I'm getting too nervous about this...

1 minute ago, tigerpaw0723 said:

@Arman Sargsyan

it might not be the best explanation but imagine the our earth is a waterfall, and the sun is a biiig cloud

if it rains, the waterfall has more water, and it looks beautiful! :) everything is just fine! try thinking about it like this, and have a well deserved rest:)

Thank you for supporting me ❤️

1 minute ago, Arman Sargsyan said:

everything is fine, we can survive an event twice as strong as happened yesterday without any consequences. no threat at all, just enjoy that you watched a storm which will be in history

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tniickck said:

everything is fine, we can survive an event twice as strong as happened yesterday without any consequences. no threat at all, just enjoy that you watched a storm which will be in history

Thank you, I will

2 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

@Arman Sargsyan

I think the best thing you can do right now is go look at pictures of the aurora from this event. If you come across any doom comments, just ignore them.

I will

18 minutes ago, Arman Sargsyan said:

Hey everybody. I'm not really good at this events. But I'm scared a little bit. Because I've already done sliding every page from 2003 and to this month and saw nothing longer than this, a lot of increasing and x storms. Is this potentially dangerous? Like really bad thing, I can't imagine... I'm little worried so I want to know what is happening and when this unordered events will go away? If someone can explain me, I'll be so happy. TY 

This was indeed one of the strongest events since 2003, but it's already over now. No potential danger at all. Lack of sleep is likely going to be far more harmful to your health than geomagnetic activity in the first place, so better get some shuteye.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Arman Sargsyan said:

He said that because humans are fighting wars and doing far more dangerous stuff than space weather ☺️ not because humanity is threatened

2 minutes ago, owenb0576 said:

Are we getting hit with something or bz just negative 

Dunno! Where’s jester, he always knows what’s up (I’m so jealous))

• Thanks 1

Just now, MinYoongi said:

He said that because humans are fighting wars and doing far more dangerous stuff than space weather ☺️ not because humanity is threatened

Dunno! Where’s jester, he always knows what’s up (I’m so jealous))

Idk what I’m talking about but density is at 1 bz is -8. Im thinking its just the bz but 30 min forecast is heating up for America 

I have been following space weather website for couple years and noticed your predictions were always more accurate than the 3- day forecasts. Thanks to your announcement on Thursday, I drove up and stayed at north and saw the amazing northern lights.

Just registered to say “Thank you" to all of you ! Happy weekend and happy mother's day to all the moms.

I will continue to follow you guys, hug hug.

Katie.

2 minutes ago, owenb0576 said:

Are we getting hit with something or bz just negative 

We don't have to get hit with anything for the BZ to be negative it's just the orientation of the magnetic field negative allows more particles to ener and interact with our atmosphere layers causing better aurora, positive the Magnetosphere is repelling it has to work harder to get through less chance of aurora.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StargazingHippy said:

We don't have to get hit with anything for the BZ to be negative it's just the orientation of the magnetic field negative allows more particles to ener and interact with our atmosphere layers causing better aurora, positive the Magnetosphere is repelling it has to work harder to get through less chance of aurora.

Hopefully it sticks around for a while 

So there are still chances for Europe (and maybe even North America) to see the Northern Lights tonight. At least at higher latitudes where it is dark. 🙂

37 minutes ago, Arman Sargsyan said:

@Jesterface23 To be honest, I can't sleep already 2 days, and like seriously, I don't know how to calm myself....

I came to this site for this same reason and I have learned a lot over the years. Spend some time here, following the Community Boards for information. As far as I’m concerned this is the only place you should come to for space weather information. 

You witnessed history this weekend. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, owenb0576 said:

Idk what I’m talking about but density is at 1 bz is -8. Im thinking its just the bz but 30 min forecast is heating up for America 

Or we about...how it called when water from the beach is running forward the Big Wave rolling on the beach? (just kidding)

1 minute ago, owenb0576 said:

Hopefully it sticks around for a while 

We don't want it to stay south for a long time either as eventually it runs out of gas. The dives up and down help to excite the particles and make them more active. It only needs to be south for a short time ahead but once it does the harder south the better. Myself I'm in Canada so I'm hoping it either goes north for a few hours or keeps flipping before turning south tonight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

We might be a flux rope, possibly. At least the temperatures did drop a bit

Winds are dropping and the IMF is rising, that could be well possible 

3 minutes ago, owenb0576 said:

I keep hearing this what is a flux rope?

The sheath of a CME is what we are in during a shock arrival. Some CMEs have a magnetic rope that we enter after the sheath.

• Like 1