May 2024 Geomagnetic Storms from AR 13664 (2)

Thanks for bringing the boards back up!

Just to share what I'm doing today from Wash. DC, USA . Most Recent ENLIL run shows a second mode of the CME activity peaking tonight. It may seem quiet now, but remember how fast the last peak had an onset. I'm watching the magnetometers on GEO and ACE for any signal of the CME that's coming our way from the X class flares over the past 24 hours. (one of them X5.8). I'm also looking at cloud cover near my home on accuweather, but if someone has a better easy to use and open source tool, let me know. Thanks.

I was too busy with being out in the field, maybe it's already asked? 

Is there already a name for this event? Like Carrington, Halloween, Bastile... 

Posted (edited)

GNVSgoDWoAADugY?format=png&name=240x240  

This has just been published by noaa.
I have to be honest, I'm a bit surprised about it. Because according to Solarham and the forecasters from MET and others on the CME scoreboard (I checked the notes), the CME from the X5 flare was more of a grazing shot with the bulk missing to the west. They were partially halo. I read on Twitter and asked around, and most experts were of the opinion they were not full hits and that we already had the strongest yesterday. So where is this strong warning coming from?  Is it because they are fast? Or is an impact of 1-2 CME expected tonight, which could intensify the arrival, as you can see in the photo that Kp 7.67 is predicted? I hope someone can give some input here or at least we can think about it together. :)
I also haven't seen a re-run of Enlil (but I'll have to check again) that was made today. I've already puzzled with someone on Twitter about whether it might be such a "strong" warning since the field is already "prepared" and could possibly slide into storm faster or they want to warn their costumers naturally enough. Sorry for this wall of text, opinions appreciated.

Edited by MinYoongi

11 minutes ago, Ingolf said:

4 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

I dont think its that significant yet....i might be wrong though. i haven't been watching space weather for awhile now. XDD

Olympics event...

1 minute ago, ChrisVQC said:

There looks like an absolute beast of activity both coming around now and also a few days later from the far side of the Sun.

This is not the right thread for that, lets talk in incoming regions about this

4 minutes ago, Ingolf said:

Someone suggested naming it "Mother's Day storm", but I don't think the community has settled into a specific name. Typically such happens fairly organically, so I guess we'll see eventually what becomes most prevalent. People should throw out some suggestions for each other to see, then we'll see what sticks, heh. I somewhat facetiously suggested calling it the "Han storm" since I saw the first recorded dated mention of sunspot observations being listed as a date corresponding to May 10 in the Book of Han, but that was more to make it clear that there isn't any universally agreed-upon name yet. We could even make May 10 the official yearly "Sunspot Day" and call it the Sunspot Day storm. The international Sun Day (like Earth Day) was just recently on May 3 too, and seems more fitting, so we could call it the "Sun Day storm". It might of course also just end up being referred to in literature and elsewhere as something boring like the "May storm of 2024", like most storms.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Misaka said:

Things are not looking so good for Aurora in Europe at the moment. Hopefully North America will have better luck later.

Not looking good in my neck of Canada either (GTA). Rain all night tonight :(

1 minute ago, Jesterface23 said:

I think CME #7 is the only one that can arrive now. The velocities look way to high for any CMEs before it to arrive, if they didn't arrive already.

That would be from the x6 flare late last night correct ? 

I'm discovering this community, I love this ! I learn so mutch tonight, I'm triyng to figure out if there IS anu chance to sée it again this night or tomorow in Europe, any tips and paramètre to look AT ?

Hello guys, I'm glad that the forums are back, I'm here to comment on something, remember that I said that if I took a photo once and said it was my city, it would be a rather strong storm, right?
well..

Today I heard that the northern lights were seen yesterday in the caves. For a moment I thought it was just ushuhia, but no, and I looked for the news.
and also the northern lights appearing in pinamar, a city near my city, which would be 1 hour from here, and this is a photo of the city of pinamar yesterdayImagen

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

I think CME #7 is the only one that can arrive now. The velocities look way to high for any CMEs before it to arrive, if they didn't arrive already.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, curiousfella said:

I'm discovering this community, I love this ! I learn so mutch tonight, I'm triyng to figure out if there IS anu chance to sée it again this night or tomorow in Europe, any tips and paramètre to look AT ?

Keep an eye on any local magnetomers and watch for large fluctuations in the data for the live activity.

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/auroral-activity/magnetometers.html#Stackplot_EU

3 minutes ago, Glowman said:

Does anybody knows the origin url or other of this grapics in the post?

It is easy to go through them here. There can be several runs per CME.

https://iswa.ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/IswaSystemWebApp/index.jsp?i_1=698&l_1=40&t_1=270&w_1=650&h_1=450&s_1=0_0_0

• Like 1