is there any thing protect us from Geomagnetic?

Go to solution Solved by Christopher Shriver,

I have a question I want to know about it is there any thing protect us from Geomagnetic storm? Or Electromagnetic Waves? [ I mean anything magnetic from space ] Because I hear some people say that the a Underground shelter or a wood or tire of a car  is there any thing protecting us from it I would like to know that so bad 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Faisal said:

I have a question I want to know about it is there any thing protect us from Geomagnetic storm? Or Electromagnetic Waves? [ I mean anything magnetic from space ] Because I hear some people say that the a Underground shelter or a wood or tire of a car  is there any thing protecting us from it I would like to know that so bad 

Yes.  The Earth's magnetic field.  It has protected us since Earth was born and will continue to do so.  You have nothing to worry about, and are totally safe standing outside under the sky, as much as in any kind of shelter.
If the sun was harmful to us, we wouldn't exist.
It is as much a part of us as the air we breathe, and just as normal.

Edited by Sam Warfel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Solution
Posted (edited)

The strength of the field is sufficient to deflect certain matter and constituent energy. The density of plasma that arrives from a CME or the ever-present Solar Wind or HSS determines how "disturbed" the field gets, which induces small transient currents throughout the globes at varying intensities. These used to be sufficient to cause overcurrent and blow up older electric circuitry and wiring, and even transformers!

But we're talking about a long time ago - modern stuff is well-protected from it's own self-induced processing transients and load switching capabilities. Power supplies in computers, for example, have built-in triggers to power off in the event of a potentially damaging surge or power leakage. Remember as well, lightning is a far more common and frequent deliverer of catastrophic electromagnetic induction. CMEs are notoriously not, anymore.

Space- and air-farers have radiation to contend with, rather than these induced currents. This is not always part of what arrives at Earth from a CME, either.

In short, there are more terrestrial, meteorological imperatives you may want to shift your focus on. Thunderstorms and most bad weather would drive you indoors, for example. Geomagnetism isn't coming for you, it's coming for any highly-conductive, exposed, unprotected circuits. We don't fall under that category.

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/help.html Has a lot of the basics you need to get started too - Although, I just CTRL + F'd for "geomagnetic field" and unfortunately, I can't find direct mention or description on any of the FAQ or help topics. I also won't be linking to wiki here, just freehanding it:

The Geomagnetic Field is theorized to be the result of a dynamo effect within the core of most planetary bodies, if rich in particularly iron(Fe) granted by the progenitor star during formation of a star system.

Sol's progenitor released enough of a type of matter that could coalesce into dense planetary nuclei, which continue to gather mass over hundreds of millions of years. This mass would accrete atop the nuclei of very hot, very dense, and highly-charged matter continuously, and with time the mass cools, forming layers upon layers like a tree ring. Earth would have transformed from a molten blob to a rock with a blob trapped inside, cooling much more slowly, and therefore exerting its potential and kinetic energy as an electromagnetic wave function. The resulting configuration and pressure of matter results in more and more complexity of the minerals which the planet produces, often released in extreme volcanic eruptions.

Earth's Core is the inner-most homogenous configuration of matter, believed to spin, and therefore induce a quasi-permanent magnetic field that extends far beyond our atmosphere. This is a rough description of the dynamo effect. Due to Earth's angular momentum(i.e. Orbit) and tidal forces from the Sun and Moon, it is valid to approximate that this dynamo will outlast the life of the Sun and Earth itself. 

To cut it short, the Sun sometimes produces rare bursts of electromagnetic energy, which when coupled with other forms of energy and matter directed at Earth, challenge the field to do its job. The atmosphere also plays a role in the collisions of particles that then ionize and produce aurora. You are in no danger standing outside to watch aurora, besides from frostbite, as the field is weakest near the poles where it is often freezing or dangerously windy and remote. The magnitude of current induced is insubstantial to cause any harm or even discomfort.

Take the time to look up terms themselves, and feel free to dive into rabbit holes. A lot of this stuff is wikipedia-level. If you are truly curious to learn more, I suggest that you select a more positive, academic-focused route for research. Fear will defeat curiosity, and only validate hubris.

Edited by Christopher Shriver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1