What are these long and thin eruptions?

Loganas

hey all.

Checking out some data from the past few days I've noticed these long, thin eruption things that seem to be originating from region 3638.

Anyone know if they have a name? I'd love to learn more about them, especially what causes them to be so consistent.

JHV_2024-04-25_02_41.54-0001.jpg.bcb472b0b633b57c6ee87ade2f714dbc.jpg

I will take a shot at it, that should be enough to evoke those who have a better definition haha.   This region appears to be  severely “Magnetically Caged”  I imagine that because of this fact it is only able to squirt plasma through the easiest path to freedom, so to speak.   Mike/Hagrid   Edit: see above for the correct definition haha 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Smarter guy beat me to it
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I will take a shot at it, that should be enough to evoke those who have a better definition haha.   This region appears to be  severely “Magnetically Caged”  I imagine that because of this fact it is only able to squirt plasma through the easiest path to freedom, so to speak.   Mike/Hagrid   Edit: see above for the correct definition haha 

That sounds extremely likely, since the eruptions are following a pretty open magnetic field line.

4 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

That’s a filament eruption

There doesn't seem to be any filaments the eruptions are originating from, just looks like plasma being ejected.

• Like 2

Hey @Loganas I actually thought I saw a filament or perhaps a powdered filament remnant  if there is such a thing, within your circled section after I saw Sander’s remark, so honestly now I am not really sure!  I appreciate your vote of confidence nonetheless. Perhaps another member would weigh in here with an opinion?  

1 hour ago, Loganas said:

That sounds extremely likely, since the eruptions are following a pretty open magnetic field line.

There doesn't seem to be any filaments the eruptions are originating from, just looks like plasma being 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Tagged Loganas

• 1 month later...

@Parabolic 

1 hour ago, Parabolic said:

@Philalethes @Ingolf

Surge and Jet do look the same but I think Surge pertains more to prominence/filaments (I think you mention cooler plasma) where Jets normally occur near active regions or emerging flux. Jets are also a result of magnetic reconnection and usually produce type iii radio bursts (I made a butterfly diagram for the fun of it but can't remember where I saved it so please correct me if I'm wrong).

From having looked a bit closer at the paper I mentioned earlier, there does indeed seem to be some connection between surges and filaments, but I think it bears clarifying the relationship further, as well as that between jets and surges. I don't think surges are really to be considered a separate phenomenon from jets, but rather a form of cooler jet that typically accompanies the hotter ones.

To start off with the latter part, it seems to be clear that for many jets the surge refers to the cooler plasma that accompanies it, typically adjacent to it and being slower to develop. This paragraph is particularly lucid:

Sometimes, cool and hot plasma flows can be identified simultaneously in a single jet. The coexisting cool and hot components can be observed in EUV images, or separately appear in Hα images as a surge and in EUV or soft X-ray images as a coronal jet. Some earlier studies indicated that the cool and hot components of solar jets are correlated in time and space, and with similar kinematic behaviours. The co-spatial relationship was confirmed by some recent high-spatio-temporal-resolution observations, although the two components were not exactly co-spatial over the entire length, or the hot component had a higher speed than the cool one. Nevertheless, the two components of solar jets were also found to be adjacent to each other in some events. Particularly, Chae et al. reported several jets whose hot EUV components were identified with the cool Hα bright jet-like features. Jiang et al. studied three jets whose cool and hot components showed different evolutions not only in space but also in time, in which the cool Hα component had a smaller size than the larger, hot one, and the former moved along the edges of the latter.

This is also echoed in other papers on the matter, like this one, where there's a good illustration of what's stated above:

surge.jpg

Note how "cool jet" and "surge" is used synonymously here to refer to that adjacent and typically slower cooler part of the jet, in accordance with the above. This one also states more or less the same thing about the origin of the terms in the very beginning of the paper:

Solar jets are observed as collimated plasma beams over a large range of temperatures and wavelengths. They have been observed in Hα and optical lines for more than 50 years and called surges. The term “jet” comes from X-ray observations after the launch of the Yohkoh satellite in 1991.

So I think the reason the terminology might have evolved this way is because the earliest observations of these and other forms of Solar activity weren't in X-rays. That paper is also great in that it seems to give a nice overview of the historical development of the subject. In that respect it also states how surges were typically accompanied by type III radio bursts, as you just mentioned for jets:

Radio Type III bursts were also often associated with surges, suggesting that surges followed open magnetic field lines or very large loops.

In one of the following sections where they seek to answer some questions about the the drivers of jets and surges and the relationship between them, they do indeed find what's suggested above:

The hot jets are collimated ejections observed in the hot temperature AIA filters (Figure 6); they have high velocities (around 250 km/s) and are accompanied by cool surges and ejected kernels that both move at about 45 km/s.

Figure 6 here refers to the figure I posted above, for reference. This is also in agreement with a section from the first paper immediately following the one I quoted at the beginning, about the slower development of the surges:

The cool component in a jet often appears a few minutes after the corresponding hot one. Specially, in the outer corona at a height of 1.71 R_sun, Dobrzycka et al. observed five polar jets in which the cool components arrived about 25 min after the hot ones.

So it seems fairly clear that jets and surges are intimately related with one another, so the more interesting question is how surges would be related to filaments, as you suggested. Prima facie there doesn't seem to be any clear connection from this thus far, but the first paper goes on to discuss the link quite a bit.

Returning to that first paper, in section 3. b) is discussed the relation of filaments. It starts out by pointing out that not only can small filament eruptions cause jets, with the filament itself representing the cool surge component of the jet, but likewise jets can also cause filaments to form, as well as cause them to erupt (and also to "oscillate", a kind of disturbance of the filament):

Solar jets are tightly associated with filaments. On the one hand, as has been discussed in §§2b and 2ci, many solar jets result from mini-filament eruptions, and the erupting filament material forms their cool component. On the other hand, solar jets can cause the oscillation, formation and eruption of large-scale filaments. 

So here we see the connection I assume you were talking about. Further into that section this is also driven home, with a suggestion at the end about hot jets also possibly contributing material, but it mostly mentions how material from surges contribute:

Solar jets not only supply sufficient mass for filament formation but also cause the instability and eruption of large-scale filaments. Zirin reported the formation of a short-lived filament caused by a surge through filling a semi-stable magnetic trap. Liu et al. reported several similar events and found that the newly formed filaments exhibited distinct helical structures, whose lifetimes and average lengths were more than 20 h and 145 Mm, respectively (figure 7). The authors proposed two necessary conditions for new filament formation by jets; namely, an empty filament channel (or magnetic trap) and enough mass supplied by surges. Guo et al. studied the formation and eruption of a large filament associated with a recurrent surge event; they confirmed that surge activities can efficiently supply enough mass for filament formation, and continuous mass with momentum supplied by surges can result in the instability and even the eruption of the newly formed filament. Other similar studies suggest that the material for filament formation could be supplied by both cool surges and hot coronal jets.

Figure 7 mentioned here is also definitely worth a look, as it shows an overview of the process of a filament forming from a surge accompanying a jet:

filamentsurge.png

So there's certainly a connection between surges and filaments, as you suggest.

Edited by Philalethes
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Philalethes I'm glad you dug into this topic further. I didn't realize they can exist simultaneously and be separate phenomenons. It's also cool learning that filaments can form where a surge or jet occurred and also be a source for "ignition". I'm determind to observe a jet destabilizing a filament that's 40° or larger.

• Like 1