PROBA-3

Go to solution Solved by arjemma,

Big thumbs up for ESA.  Appears that their launch window... although a late 50 years since NASA's initial experiment, is imminent and close to producing high quality solar corona imagery (for us!).  Hopefully those detailed observations will produce some interesting dialog here on SWL and elsewhere and perhaps might even be a catalyst for generating a few timely specific event monitoring suggestions in the future.  project synopsis:  here   Now, if they can just keep those two pals from getting a little too chummy.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

32 minutes ago, Pegasus51 said:

Big thumbs up for ESA.  Appears that their launch window... although a late 50 years since NASA's initial experiment, is imminent and close to producing high quality solar corona imagery (for us!).  Hopefully those detailed observations will produce some interesting dialog here on SWL and elsewhere and perhaps might even be a catalyst for generating a few timely specific event monitoring suggestions in the future.  project synopsis:  here   Now, if they can just keep those two pals from getting a little too chummy.

Very cool, wasn't aware of this. Sounds like something it would be great to have data from; will definitely be keeping an eye on this towards the launch date.

• Like 2

I've been hoping for a UV imagery upgrade for so long... optics have come a long way. Yes, some tech was kept secret from the public for a long time and we've been drip-fed that tech in consumer products, but lithography and manufacturing resolution in the state-of-the-art will provide much needed data. It's not been useful to reference PROBA-2 as far as what I do is concerned - perhaps due to the lack of .gif/video playback

• Solution

I was at a seminar hosted by ESA where they said that the data will be available in the ESA portal. They will do test runs first though.

I think anyone can register to the ESA portal. I’m registered as a developer for ESA so I got an account from that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arjemma said:

I was at a seminar hosted by ESA where they said that the data will be available in the ESA portal. They will do test runs first though.

I think anyone can register to the ESA portal. I’m registered as a developer for ESA so I got an account from that.

That's great; I hope they set up a page like the one for LASCO too, so anyone can easily check out the imagery.

Perhaps even more so now in the wake of the eclipse with all the cool imagery being posted (as well as similar from previous total eclipses), because from having read a bit more about it it seems like the goal here is to essentially create very similar conditions to those seen during a total eclipse, would be awesome to have continuous access to that kind of imagery.

Edited by Philalethes
clarity
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Philalethes said:

That's great; I hope they set up a page like the one for LASCO too, so anyone can easily check out the imagery.

Perhaps even more so now in the wake of the eclipse with all the cool imagery being posted (as well as similar from previous total eclipses), because from having read a bit more about it it seems like the goal here is to essentially create very similar conditions to those seen during a total eclipse, would be awesome to have continuous access to that kind of imagery.

I really hope so too, it sounded like they would make some data public outside of the portal but it wasn't confirmed yet at the time. I will try to keep this thread updated with new information when I get it.

I totally agree! We do see a bit more during true eclipses so it would be cool if they could recreate that. Especially imaging streamers and maybe also some solar wind.

• Like 3