Strange Sun activity or GOES tech problems

Mushuro
Go to solution Solved by MinYoongi,

Greetings!

Since february 26 there are strange daily braeks in solar activity chart. It starts for about 26 minutes (4:56-5:22) 02.26 to 1 hour and 2 minutes (4:34-5:38) for last 3 days. 

Have any ideas what is it could be? GOES technical problems, data translation breaks or something else?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

GOES 18 does seem to be having some sporadic data right now that isn't an eclipse of the Earth. Not sure what is going on there or if it is just delayed data. Though I'd point that out as well.

I noticed that days ago. maybe some issues with goes 18, but sometimes its fine for hours right?

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I noticed that days ago. maybe some issues with goes 18, but sometimes its fine for hours right?

I was wondering if I remembered that correctly with it happening before. Maybe it is just delayed data for GOES 18 because it seems filled in now.

Edited by Jesterface23

1 minute ago, Jesterface23 said:

I was wondering if I remembered that correctly with it happening before. Maybe it is just delayed data for GOES 18 because it seems filled in now.

interesting. so the data that was like today, mostly goes 16 got backfilled ? 

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Oh by the way. @Jesterface23 i just noticed something. if i use this link : https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/goes-x-ray-flux 

and switch from "6h" to "3 days" it shows me the goes 18 data up to this exact moment perfectly fine. i can even go in with my mouse to get the exact values, if i switch back to 1 day or 6h, i get nothing. so maybe its a display error on their website. here you have a video of what im explaining: 

https://gyazo.com/6214eea82b5bc76fe473451ad5327359

9 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Oh by the way. @Jesterface23 i just noticed something. if i use this link : https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/goes-x-ray-flux 

and switch from "6h" to "3 days" it shows me the goes 18 data up to this exact moment perfectly fine. i can even go in with my mouse to get the exact values, if i switch back to 1 day or 6h, i get nothing. so maybe its a display error on their website. here you have a video of what im explaining: 

That has to do with the averages or smoothing. 6 Hours shows data per minute, 1 Day shows data in 2 minute intervals, 3 Days in 10 minute intervals, and 7 day in 15 minute intervals.

12 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Hmm, or maybe we weren't thinking about the same thing on this. Oh well, time will tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

That has to do with the averages or smoothing. 6 Hours shows data per minute, 1 Day shows data in 2 minute intervals, 3 Days in 10 minute intervals, and 7 day in 15 minute intervals.

But in the 6Hour and 1 Day Data, there is no Goes18 data AT ALL for over 10hours. 3day shows 10minute values without fail. This still means, that its likely a display error. Otherwise the other graphs would at least show 10min values, i think?

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

Oh well, time will tell.

Let me know if you find something! I previously experienced a handful of Noaa swpc website duck-ups so thats the first thing i thought about, i also couldnt find anything on the goes status page so thats why i came up with my theory.

3 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Turn off the GOES 16 data in the legend at the bottom and GOES 18 only will come up

That does not change that 3 days has 10 minute, and the others have 20 at best..maybe im too confused :D 

anyways i bet it will be resolved soon.

7 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

But in the 6Hour and 1 Day Data, there is no Goes18 data AT ALL for over 10hours. 3day shows 10minute values without fail. This still means, that its likely a display error. Otherwise the other graphs would at least show 10min values, i think?

Let me know if you find something! I previously experienced a handful of Noaa swpc website duck-ups so thats the first thing i thought about, i also couldnt find anything on the goes status page so thats why i came up with my theory.

I just looked at the GOES data page to see if it really is just a display error. Unfortunately, there is no data there either. However, it says something like electron contamination: true. Perhaps someone knows what that means exactly.

https://services.swpc.noaa.gov/json/goes/secondary/xrays-6-hour.json

• Like 1

• Solution

now no data at all..

maybe eclipse for Goes16 ? 

but goes 18 not providing its 10 minute data also.. mh

"GOES satellites encounter two periods during the year in which they are in Earth's shadow. During the eclipse season, as these periods are known, spacecraft must use batteries up to 72 minutes each day. Eclipses occur approximately from late February to mid-April," <- So it could be eclipse. but no data at all? weird..

ah, is back.