Unspecified geomagnetic activity

Isatsuki San
Message added by Sam Warfel,

Use this thread to discuss any minor questions or unspecified geomagnetic activity. 

For discussion of expected inbound CMEs, or noticeable geomagnetic storms, please create new threads (“X2 CME prediction”, “G3 storming”)

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Parabolic said:

If you dont like raw satellite data or sitting through magnetometers, I recommend going off of Dst or AE Index for near real time conditions. Kp is based on past 3 hours, it's very after the fact. 

Absolutely true @Parabolic as I discovered many a time that I was “ late to the party”. Now I watch the magnetometers in British Columbia on Vancouver Island. ( Victoria)  Dunno which is closer to @StargazingHippy but probably worth following. Still amazing shots posted!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chronical said:

Huh? I live at latitude 45.9N and got this beauty tonight

5 hours ago, StargazingHippy said:

Agreed, I'm on Manitoulin Island on Lake Huron and I'm seeing them currently (I'm Lat 45.7N. Lon -82)

Being in the US probably helps a bit, since the geomagnetic latitudes will be higher there than the corresponding geographic latitude in general. Great images, didn't expect any aurora to pop up these days!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought maybe this was from this C4 flare on June 25. Seems like it was a bit eruptive. Maybe a narrow CME? I haven’t been following very closely so maybe I’m missing something here.

spacer.png

Edited by Calder
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Parabolic said:

If you dont like raw satellite data or sitting through magnetometers, I recommend going off of Dst or AE Index for near real time conditions. Kp is based on past 3 hours, it's very after the fact. 

Yeah, I agree, but this time, mostly the raw data and the Kiruna magnetometer were a help. DST was over -70 until about 5 UTC when I went in, and nothing more special happened. Kiruna on the other hand was in the -600/-700 values, so I suppose their magnetometer can be trusted

2 hours ago, Misaka said:

G2 now. Looks better than expected.

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

It looks like we had a SIR arrival, but I'm not certain if it is CME related with no SA arrival yet.

Any news on that? Interesting!

39 minutes ago, Balerion said:

Don’t understand how we at g2 with Interplanetary Magnetic Field 9.32nt and bz -2.74 south.  When typing this.

or is there other thing that come into fact?

Am learning, so any information would be amazing :) 

Im also confused by this. can someone explain? My explanation: Hp30 hit kp 7 an hour ago or so, kp always shows the greatest value of 3 hours even if only hit very briefly. hp30/60 is currently back at G2 so maybe its that. Thats a reason 
for aurora chasers to not use the KP index, as far as i know. fa41ed14ff0f47433eba7321d4ad0e99.png

3 minutes ago, chronical said:

Yeah, I agree, but this time, mostly the raw data and the Kiruna magnetometer were a help. DST was over -70 until about 5 UTC when I went in, and nothing more special happened. Kiruna on the other hand was in the -600/-700 values, so I suppose their magnetometer can be trusted

Kiruna is local, DST is not local.

Kiruna can be having Kp7 storms daily with no arrival at earth, i wouldnt use it to compare it to DST.

38 minutes ago, Balerion said:

Don’t understand how we at g2 with Interplanetary Magnetic Field 9.32nt and bz -2.74 south.  When typing this.

or is there other thing that come into fact?

Am learning, so any information would be amazing :) 

That’s because the Kp-index is based on the last 3 hours of activity. In the last three hours, there has been a great period of negative bz at -16 with normal winds and a good density, which is well enough for a G2 storm.

• Like 1

since its a very, very far north local magnetometer and not many magnetometers like DST.

Just now, chronical said:

That’s because the Kp-index is based on the last 3 hours of activity. In the last three hours, there has been a great period of negative bz at -16 with normal winds and a good density, which is well enough for a G2 storm.

Yeah, like i suspected. thank you!

• Like 1

On 6/28/2024 at 3:02 AM, hamateur 1953 said:

Absolutely true @Parabolic as I discovered many a time that I was “ late to the party”. Now I watch the magnetometers in British Columbia on Vancouver Island.

When I'm feeling frisky for magnetometer data I'll plot Newport, Shumagin, Boulder, & Fredericksburg. GOES magnetometers require much less work on my part haha.  

• Cool 1

15 hours ago, Parabolic said:

When I'm feeling frisky for magnetometer data I'll plot Newport, Shumagin, Boulder, & Fredericksburg. GOES magnetometers require much less work on my part haha.  

It would be nice if CANMOS Victoria B.C. Was displayed in nt increments also*.  Heck my own personal suspended mag would be better. But maybe my next “ project”. * it is tiny.  😇

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1

Hey @Prizma1227 I had never heard of Albany WA was gonna move from Seattle to Perth in 1967 but never did. Had visas everything. Honestly thought there wasn’t much South of Perth/Fremantle until I checked it out. About as far South in WA. Without swimming ya can get!   See ya. Mike 

5 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Hey @Prizma1227 I had never heard of Albany WA was gonna move from Seattle to Perth in 1967 but never did. Had visas everything. Honestly thought there wasn’t much South of Perth/Fremantle until I checked it out. About as far South in WA. Without swimming ya can get!   See ya. Mike 

Yeah it’s a smallish town (~60k population) about 400km (250 miles) from Perth , beautiful beaches and not as many people as Perth which is great. 

• Cool 1