Jump to content

Lake Superior at night (no Auroras)


Sam Warfel

No Auroras here, just Lake Superior at night. Taken from the Porcupine Mountains, looking Northwest towards the Apostle Islands. Light from towns is clearly illuminating the underside of the clouds. These towns are around Bayfield Wisconsin, about 40 miles away from where the picture was taken.

From the category:

North America

· 424 images
  • 424 images
  • 84 image comments

Photo Information

  • Taken with NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D3300
  • Focal Length 18 mm
  • Exposure Time 20/1
  • f Aperture f/3.5
  • ISO Speed 1600

Recommended Comments

Ah it makes sense now I for some reason thought you were talking about Grand Marais even though you didn’t mention it but yea that makes sense. I don’t think the ones on mine are the towns because it was more red and there was no clouds

Edited by farm24
Link to comment
1 hour ago, farm24 said:

Ah it makes sense now I for some reason thought you were talking about Grand Marais even though you didn’t mention it but yea that makes sense. I don’t think the ones on mine are the towns because it was more red and there was no clouds

Yeah that wasn’t Grand Marais, but because you could see the coastline near there from the mountain at night I bet you could see lights from it too, but I wasn’t on the mountain at night so I wouldn’t know

Link to comment
13 hours ago, Orneno said:

Yeah that wasn’t Grand Marais, but because you could see the coastline near there from the mountain at night I bet you could see lights from it too, but I wasn’t on the mountain at night so I wouldn’t know

the coastline across the lake? because even at 700 ft above lake superior you could only see 30 miles until the horizon

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, farm24 said:

the coastline across the lake? because even at 700 ft above lake superior you could only see 30 miles until the horizon

Summit Peak is 1,958 feet above the lake, and only a few miles back from the coast, from up there in the day we could definitely see the coast around to Grand Marais and over into Canada as well. Probably only the parts of the other coast that had hills or tall bluffs by them, but that seemed to be a large portion of the northern shore 

Link to comment
23 minutes ago, farm24 said:

oh ok

Yeah, it makes a huge difference how high up you are. From the lake level I couldn’t see anything, from the bluffs a hundred feet up I could see the apostle islands 30 miles away, even trees on them with binoculars, and from almost 2000 get on the mountain you could see much of the west end of the lake. (Not the really big East-Central part)

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you also agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy.