Jump to content

Titles of sunspot region topics... should we enforce a specific formatting?


Topic titles for sunspot regions... should we enforce a specific title format?  

33 members have voted

  1. 1. We should use the following format...

    • 1234
      2
    • AR1234
      17
    • Region 1234
      1
    • Sunspot region 1234
      0
    • Doesn't matter. Any of the above is okay!
      13


Recommended Posts

Just looking around the forums here quickly... I notice that a lot of people use a different format for topics for specific sunspot regions. What I mean is that some people make topics with titles like...

AR1234... others write Region 1234 or just simply 1234...

Which is okay... but it looks a tad chaotic? Should we perhaps enforce one specific format like only AR1234 or only Region 1234? Or do people not care? 

Hope it makes sense what I am trying to say. I am not sure how to properly explain what I mean. 🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think it matters. I feel that moderating that would just end up being more of a nuisance. Being new to the community, I can read and understand all of those options. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think naming them with just numbers like they do on spaceweather app would be less chaotic. But let's see what the others prefer. Honestly i don't mind, either way would be okay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 uur geleden, Vancanneyt Sander zei:

Keep in mind when using AR as prefix, you should add a 1 before the region number! Since counting we already surpassed the 10K regions and thus the correct AR notation for current regions is above 10K.
So region 3712 is actually AR13712!

You're right but on a day to day basis nobody uses that, I actually think it would cause extra confusion to be honest. People see 1234 on the daily sunspot page and on the forums it's 11234. Think that would cause confusion among those who know little about sunspot regions.

45 minuten geleden, Jesterface23 zei:

Different formats are pretty much used throughout the main website as well.

You're right but the format with the 5th digit is more of an archive thing. In daily use everybody uses the 4 digit numbering system.

7 minuten geleden, Manuel zei:

I think naming them with just numbers like they do on spaceweather app would be less chaotic. But let's see what the others prefer. Honestly i don't mind, either way would be okay.

I am also leaning towards just numbers, it feels more slick. But we will see what the poll says, its not a big deal just a thought that popped up in my mind.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Keep in mind when using AR as prefix, you should add a 1 before the region number! Since counting we already surpassed the 10K regions and thus the correct AR notation for current regions is above 10K.
So region 3712 is actually AR13712!

I was a bit surprised to not see this in the polls. Personally I always make them with the format AR XXXXX, with a space and the full number; apart from the titles I just refer to them by the last 4 numbers though, just thought it'd be useful for archiving purposes to have the full number and to have the number separate.

So e.g. I'd make the topic "AR 13712" in that case.

But skipping the "AR" would probably be reasonable too, since it's pretty recognizable what those topics are anyway.

One argument I can think of in favor of keeping the "AR" part is that there will often be numbers in topics for various other reasons, like dates and such, and I think the "AR" part would serve to immediately distinguish those that pertain to an active region, so I think I'd be in favor of keeping it personally.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minuten geleden, Jesterface23 zei:

@Marcel de Bont

Would you be willing to let there be a Sunspot/Active Region sub-forum under Solar Activity as a possible option?

I thought about that as well but it wouldn't be the best course of action for the same reasons as I describe here. We would have a very active sub forum and a dead main forum... it wouldn't be a good look.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

I thought about that as well but it wouldn't be the best course of action for the same reasons as I describe here. We would have a very active sub forum and a dead main forum... it wouldn't be a good look.

Actually, not in this case. All of the active regions would be organized in one sub-forum. The main solar activity forum would still be very well active with incoming regions, filaments, the CH topic is starting to get some posts, and other solar topics that come up every once in a while.

......

I'm assuming the possible new sub-forum would also be found at the top of the Solar activity forum as well.

Edited by Jesterface23
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

Actually, not in this case. All of the active regions would be organized in one sub-forum. The main solar activity forum would still be very well active with incoming regions, filaments, the CH topic is starting to get some posts, and other solar topics that come up every once in a while.

......

I'm assuming the possible new sub-forum would also be found at the top of the Solar activity forum as well.

Also would be possible to merge topics by agreement as done before. Although literally we typically drop the 1 at beginning of the five numbered regions I think most are aware of this.  
Personally I like the AR 1234 format. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Marcel de Bont said:

You're right but on a day to day basis nobody uses that, I actually think it would cause extra confusion to be honest. People see 1234 on the daily sunspot page and on the forums it's 11234. Think that would cause confusion among those who know little about sunspot regions.

Yes, it's true. I have recently been on the site and by age I could not yet know all the subtleties of determining the names of regions. I really just found out here that another "1" is added before the region number. Perhaps many people encounter this when they are just starting to get carried away with space weather. If my opinion turns out to be useful for solving this topic, I will be very glad. Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Marcel de Bont said:

It seems like there is a clear split between AR1234 and it doesn't matter

It's funny how evenly split the results are 😅

Edited by Parabolic
Was haha*
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you also agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy.