Is it normal for so many x class flares

Go to solution Solved by Sam Warfel,

Hey everyone I'm interested in solar weather and everything that comes with it but I will be honest I get extreme anxiety over the sun and the what if so my question is has and is the sun acting normal lately and is it completely normal for x flares to happen ?

ok thank you like i said i get bad anxiety sometimes over the sun i know its crazy because the odds of anything happening are so slim i just cant get it threw my head that there is a massive beyond massive fireball exploding in the sky 24/7 lol it just scares the crap out of my for lack of better words lol. so i guess what im really asking and i know this sounds stupid but it can never like explode or send anything our way that can hurt us? lol again sorry for the childish questions.

• Sad 1

You don't sound stupid, my dear friend. I am as much as a noobie as you are about this; however, with how the Solar community responds to these things with such great humor and community-like responses to these things, I'd listen to the professionals about this one. No matter what may or may not happen, trust what brought you here this far and also the fact that you're not alone. I have anxiety sometimes about these things too, but let it allow you to be a wiser and more loving human being. Don't take things too seriously my friend, as I am also just here to learn more about the Solar Maximum and the way the sun works without having the job myself like most of these genius fellas do. Much love my friend. You're never alone. 

3 hours ago, brutus15 said:

ok thank you like i said i get bad anxiety sometimes over the sun i know its crazy because the odds of anything happening are so slim i just cant get it threw my head that there is a massive beyond massive fireball exploding in the sky 24/7 lol it just scares the crap out of my for lack of better words lol. so i guess what im really asking and i know this sounds stupid but it can never like explode or send anything our way that can hurt us? lol again sorry for the childish questions.

Not to worry mate, if you get anxiety about this, then your questions are absolutely reasonable.

To answer your question, never say never but even if it were to haul a super X flare directly at us, we would be pretty fine. Except if you work in the energy sector, then you will propably have to work overtime for a few days, but thats not going to be so bad. Electricity these days is hardened against solar influences like geomagnetic storms and the like, so there wont be major disruptions (at least in the wealthy countries.....) 

And unless you remain for days on the summit of Mt. Everest or chill out and one of the poles, you most certainly will also be physically fine. Just dont run against a lamp post or a tree while staring at the sky enjoying the Aurora.

However that would imply that a major X-class flare actually launches a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME),which happens regulary even with non-X flares, but you have to remember the sun is round in all 3 dimensions. It explodes in every direction too, and its rather rare to have even a glancing blow from a CME here on earth, not to speak of a full hit. 

11 hours ago, brutus15 said:

You've come to the best place to have any anxiety or worries over solar activity put to rest, the community regulars here are supremely knowledgeable 🙂 there's a lot of people online though who sensationalise some of the sun's particularly powerful events and then hype up potential flares or ejections as apocalyptic events. But the truth is the sun has been around for billions of years just doing exactly what it's been doing every day since then. It's only in the last century we've really developed the technology to observe it in such great detail and record these events so regularly. 

Des it have the potential to cause world ending events? Yes, of course it does, the sun is a gigantic natural thermonuclear reactor fusing millions of tons of hydrogen into helium every second. The sheer energy involved in it's very existence is beyond our current comprehension. However is it likely to produce a world ending event? Probably not. Our magnetic field and atmosphere protect us from most of what the sun throws at us and these days we're pretty well set up to handle some of the worst the sun can send our way. We might get the odd blackout if the storm is particularly powerful but the so-called internet apocalypse is highly unlikely.