Radio Blackouts and the current Proton Flux 6-9

Go to solution Solved by helios,

I really find this graphic interesting because the north polar regions are still in red and it looks like it bleeds down in to the United States where it diffuses but the south pole is Green/blue right now. I assume this is in relation to the proton flux and it is still dissipating today?

If anyone can interpret this in depth for me, that would be awesome because I find it fascinating that the 'red level' is still persisting in the north polar regions but not in the south.

And also if this proton flux is corresponding to the blue color we see over the united states or is that strictly from solar flares today?

Thanks in advance!!

https://www.spaceweather.gov/communities/radio-communications

• Solution

This is what's called Polar Cap Absorption (PCA). The protons are spiraling deep into the polar regions and cause a disturbance in the ionosphere, which in turn is attenuating radio waves across the polar region.

The north pole is more affected, because earths axis is tilted, and the north pole is currently pointing at an angle towards the sun (we're close to the summer solstice).

The dip over North America happens because earths magnetic field is not aligned with the rotational axis, the northern geomagnetic pole is closer to North America.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, helios said:

This is what's called Polar Cap Absorption (PCA). The protons are spiraling deep into the polar regions and cause a disturbance in the ionosphere, which in turn is attenuating radio waves across the polar region.

The north pole is more affected, because earths axis is tilted, and the north pole is currently pointing at an angle towards the sun (we're close to the summer solstice).

The dip over North America happens because earths magnetic field is not aligned with the rotational axis, the northern geomagnetic pole is closer to North America.

Awesome, thank you for that excellent answer !!!