Region 3697 2024/06/08 CME

Posted (edited)

We will see if this CME could possibly arrive, though likely only a glancing blow at most. No major geomagnetic storming should be expected.

STEREO A does give us the first images of this CME.

20240608_022354_d7c2A.jpg

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

We will see if this CME could possibly arrive, though likely only a glancing blow at most. No major geomagnetic storming should be expected.

STEREO A does give us the first images of this CME.

20240608_022354_d7c2A.jpg

This seems very energetic… 

It’ll be a whole lot more interesting where SOHO gives us its imagery.

For protons, do you expect a major storm?

I like how everyone here was like "that sunspot is totally going to give us a show right on the limb as it heads out" and voila. Right on cue. 

14 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

Wait a minute, isn't it going up very fast? 
Is that an indication that the radiation storm is coming or is it coming?

Image 1 of 6

I think they already answered my question image.png.93dc1584702a034299cc3e545136f82d.png

image.png

Yeah it is coming, that CME was almost perfectly positionned for the protons to reach Earth because or the Parker Spiral

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

we reached a level 2 radiation storm, quite interesting

Indeed. Was just thinking of GLE with this event.  Mid level protons and low level protons still going up.  High level seems to be levelling just below S 1

38 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

My forecast for this CME is an arrival at L1 mid-day to late on the 10th UTC. I'd only go with G1 possible due to this being expected to be a glancing blow.

And it seems that 10 MeV is trying to reach S3, now that I think about it, we had an S3 radiation storm, right?

13 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

And it seems that 10 MeV is trying to reach S3, now that I think about it, we had an S3 radiation storm, right?

We've come close once this cycle, but no S3 yet.

We actually already have the highest proton flux values of SC25 so far.

6 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

We've come close once this cycle, but no S3 yet.

We actually already have the highest proton flux values of SC25 so far.

Now we have a S3 storm

Posted (edited)

Just saw this too @Misaka  I can’t recall hi energy protons remaining this high for this long either. Should be interesting once the neutron monitors fully confirm a GLE.  I really have been unclear on exactly what it takes to do this 

Edited by hamateur 1953

6 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Acabo de ver esto también@Misaka  Tampoco recuerdo que los protones de alta energía permanecieran tan altos durante tanto tiempo. Debería ser interesante una vez que los monitores de neutrones confirmen completamente un GLE.  

I have a question, what is a GLE?

4 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

SOHO give us a little bit of an asymmetric halo,

20240608_0306_c3.png

How much of this is earth directed? You said glancing blow at best but i thought im gonna ask now that more imagery is in since i dont know how to read lasco myself :) Good morning!

And another curious question, do Lasco c2 experience the same radiation storm as here on Earth? Why is it seen that the salite goes-16-suvi does not have a single error and the lascos present a radiation storm?

Posted (edited)

A GLE occurs typically at both Magnetic poles for the most part when charged particles ( protons) interact with our upper atmosphere and are detected by neutron monitors in two places simultaneously to verify this. A short explanation of the physics involved as I understand it. They also produce the Carbon 14 from our atmospheric nitrogen. Pretty cool. Edit. GLE. Ground Level Event 

Edited by hamateur 1953

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Misaka said:

I'll take it, that things booking it too

Also did you notice in the model, how the intensity in the wave gets stronger on the earth wing of the wave? Does anyone know if there's a reason for that? 

Edited by coinpeace